E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

fuel consumption on E61 530d

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 10:37 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks, that's very interesting info. Massive difference between pre- and post-LCI really.

been considering a remap for some time now, and this is a valid reason to speed it up.

based on your research, would you say there was something very clever/special about the Wetterauer remap, or would another remap also do the job in terms of efficiency around town?
Old 10-07-2010, 08:43 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 E61 525d M-Sport, Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack, Sun Protection Glass, M6 Staggered Alloys, ACS Rear Diffuser, EBC Green Stuff Brake Pads, I-Pod Interface. Rear Aux Power DIY, LCI Rear Lights, Extended interior lights - doors and footwells, LED licence plate lights.

There is a known problem with the main thermostat and EGR valve/thermostat on diesel engined cars -
See this thread. If the engine is running too cool then this will also affect the fuel consumption.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:46 AM
Senior Members

(double post, see below)
Old 10-07-2010, 09:48 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kErb
There is a known problem with the main thermostat and EGR valve/thermostat on diesel engined cars -
See this thread. If the engine is running too cool then this will also affect the fuel consumption.
I know and at least my EGR one is gone, will replace it in about two weeks.

But I was expecting a max 0.5L improvement from this, dont think the right temperature will amount to more.

Besides , in city driving the car stays pretty hot anyways - it just does not cool as there is no air inflow...
Old 10-08-2010, 09:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 E61 525d M-Sport, Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack, Sun Protection Glass, M6 Staggered Alloys, ACS Rear Diffuser, EBC Green Stuff Brake Pads, I-Pod Interface. Rear Aux Power DIY, LCI Rear Lights, Extended interior lights - doors and footwells, LED licence plate lights.

Originally Posted by mmitev
I know and at least my EGR one is gone, will replace it in about two weeks.

But I was expecting a max 0.5L improvement from this, dont think the right temperature will amount to more.

Besides , in city driving the car stays pretty hot anyways - it just does not cool as there is no air inflow...
I think its a case of many different factors affecting the fuel consumption.
From what I have read it very rare for just the EGR alone to be faulty, most people seem to end up changing both. It is worth replacing the EGR first as it is simple to do and then analysing the results. With regard to how much difference it makes ultimately is difficult to quantify, but I assume the cars electronics are designed to calculate fuel requirements based on the core engine temperature and will add extra fuel if the engine is too cool. If you check the secret menu on the car you can get the actual temperature displayed on the dash. Mine never gets any where near the quoted 90 degrees. It was around 61-62 before the ERG change and improved to 75 or so on average maybe 80 degrees on a run but certainly no more. My car returns around 28mpg around town, which is only slightly better than my previous petrol E39 530i. I need to get the main thermostat done also, the parts are cheap enough, but it doesn't look that easy to access it in the engine bay to swap it over.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:25 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61 530d 2005 M sport, individual, shadow line

From what I have read it very rare for just the EGR alone to be faulty, most people seem to end up changing both. It is worth replacing the EGR first as it is simple to do and then analysing the results. With regard to how much difference it makes ultimately is difficult to quantify, but I assume the cars electronics are designed to calculate fuel requirements based on the core engine temperature and will add extra fuel if the engine is too cool. If you check the secret menu on the car you can get the actual temperature displayed on the dash. Mine never gets any where near the quoted 90 degrees. It was around 61-62 before the ERG change and improved to 75 or so on average maybe 80 degrees on a run but certainly no more. My car returns around 28mpg around town, which is only slightly better than my previous petrol E39 530i. I need to get the main thermostat done also, the parts are cheap enough, but it doesn't look that easy to access it in the engine bay to swap it over.

Could u please explain how to get Tempriture of the engine checked? What is the secret menu, that has to be done? interesting....

Thanks!
Old 10-08-2010, 01:04 PM
Senior Members

I have exactly the same case - done multiple tests with temp on the dash and it normally runs around 65-75 degrees in varied style driving, but can drop to 60 during calm B-road driving. Will change the EGR thermostat for exactly the same reasons and first analyse results before I bite the bullet for the main one.

But my last argument was that even with the thermostats faulty, my car heats up and stays around 90 degrees in pure city driving with lots of traffic lights and jams. Therefore, in te city it should not require more fuel for temperature purposes.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:05 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bmWay
Could u please explain how to get Tempriture of the engine checked? What is the secret menu, that has to be done? interesting....

Thanks!
bmWay, read the attached document. Temperature menu is number 7.

E60_Hidden_OBC_Instructions 2.pdf
Old 10-09-2010, 04:57 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61 530d 2005 M sport, individual, shadow line

Originally Posted by mmitev
bmWay, read the attached document. Temperature menu is number 7.

Attachment 112503

Thanks a lot, quite a job was done.