E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Fitted rubber cargo mat in wagon with power liftgate

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 01:18 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 BMW 530i E61, alpine white, cream-beige interior, sports-auto-transmission and a lot more-

Originally Posted by Lotus99
Which two versions? Can you give a part number or link?

All I see on BMW USA's Accessories website for this car is this $115 mat (# 51470309119). The other two protective covers are a $300 hard plastic tray that goes up the sides of the car, or a vinyl cover that also goes up the sides, but also has a "tongue" that hangs out over the bumper.

BMW Fitted Luggage Compartment Mat for Sport Wagons

Hopefully I can help out:

My first Bimmer was also a Touring,but without auto-Trunk. Now in my new wagon I have auto-trunk but I use the old mat as shown above.
Due to the high usage of the mat(4 years with the old car, 1 year with the new), the front end is flexed up. When the trunk closes, there's no problem at all that the mat will stop the trunk from closing.This is the same if you would cut a piece of the mat. It's shorter..
I can imagine that if you buy this mat brand new and with no flexed up front end (can I call it a MOD? ) , this will maybe force the trunk to not close properly.

All in all the bending is created by closing the trunk several times with the mat slipped to much to the front.
Now it seems just perfect for an auto-trunk.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:26 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ivano
Hopefully I can help out:

My first Bimmer was also a Touring,but without auto-Trunk. Now in my new wagon I have auto-trunk but I use the old mat as shown above.
Due to the high usage of the mat(4 years with the old car, 1 year with the new), the front end is flexed up. When the trunk closes, there's no problem at all that the mat will stop the trunk from closing.This is the same if you would cut a piece of the mat. It's shorter..
I can imagine that if you buy this mat brand new and with no flexed up front end (can I call it a MOD? ) , this will maybe force the trunk to not close properly.

All in all the bending is created by closing the trunk several times with the mat slipped to much to the front.
Now it seems just perfect for an auto-trunk.
+1 the flexed front (rear actually) lip has solved the occasional problem of sliding the mat towards the front for autoclose to work

I also have the front (next to the seats) lip flexed due to the carseat 3rd anchors...

Bought mine from Tisher just like all other accessories except the mats, should have obtained black rather than beige, live and learn
Old 06-20-2011, 01:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

I used to have an OEM mat for our old A4 Avant that wouldn't stay put. What I did to remedy this was pull up the load securing eyelets through the mat and then stretch a bungee cord across the back two. This not only meant that the mat wouldn't slip out when you're pulling heavy stuff out the car, it also meant you'd also always have at least one bungee in the car.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Good tip, was thinking about doing that myself, as there are cutout markings already for the rear two eyelets. Only thing you'd lose is the ability for the mat to be totally waterproof, but I'm thinking for me to have issues, I'd have to spill a lot of liquid back there for some of it to leak thru to the carpet via one of the cutouts...