E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Fitted rubber cargo mat in wagon with power liftgate

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 06:52 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone tried using the OEM fitted cargo mat in an E61 wagon with power liftgate, part number 51470309119??
It says "For vehicles with automatic trunk lid mechanism = No" but I don't understand why that is. How would this interfere?

Thanks,
Jason
Old 04-14-2011, 08:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

I have an unoriginal rubber mat to protect the carpet. There are times when it isn't placed 100% properly, having slid perhaps a half inch back towards the liftgate when I pulled something out of the cargo area. When I then engage the power liftgate to close, it meets a slight resistance on the last half inch of travel and subsequently stops without closing and locking. Lights will remain on in the interior, and anyone can enter the car from the tailgate if I didn't stay back to watch and make sure the liftgate lock engaged properly.

Most of the time it's a non issue though I'm properly always alert and watching to ensure it closes properly. When the wife or kids are playing with it, I have found the trunk open on occassion.

I suspect an original cargo mat for the power liftgate is slightly smaller than the one I have, to reduce the chance of the above problem occurring.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:50 PM
Members

I'm using a standard rubber cargo mat from BMW. No issues with it and the power liftgate. I can't imagine what the difference might be. However, there are two downsides to the mat you should know before buying. First, you've lost access to the hidden compartments on the floor, which I was bummed out about. Second, if the mat moves out of the place, the door won't close. The mat does slide around a bit.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:43 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535i wagon

I have a BMW cargo mat in a wagon with the power lift gate. I have not encountered any problems with the mat moving or obstructing the lift gate. I do not recall any disclaimer on use of the cargo mat with the power liftgate when I purchased the mat. Perhaps some customer had a problem and the lawyers for BMW advised addition of a disclaimer.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

Originally Posted by JeffVander
I'm using a standard rubber cargo mat from BMW. No issues with it and the power liftgate. I can't imagine what the difference might be. However, there are two downsides to the mat you should know before buying. First, you've lost access to the hidden compartments on the floor, which I was bummed out about. Second, if the mat moves out of the place, the door won't close. The mat does slide around a bit.
I just lift up the mat to access the handle to open the floor, and then open it. It doesn't get in the way at all.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:14 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by JeffVander
Yeah there are 2 versions available now. The flat rubber mat, which it sounds like you have, and then a fitted rubber mat that has a rolled up lip all the way around it and fits snuggly against the sides. Guess I'll just order this one and see what happens. I'll post back when I get it.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:12 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 550iA M-sport '08 VW Golf GTI DSG '06

I have the automatic trunk lid and the original mat (with the disclaimer "For vehicles with automatic trunk lid mechanism = No") and haven't had any problem yet.

I agree about the downside that it is harder to reach the inner hidden compartment but I don't use that every day...

///Ulf
Old 05-17-2011, 05:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Originally Posted by jallerd
Yeah there are 2 versions available now. The flat rubber mat, which it sounds like you have, and then a fitted rubber mat that has a rolled up lip all the way around it and fits snuggly against the sides. Guess I'll just order this one and see what happens. I'll post back when I get it.
Which two versions? Can you give a part number or link?

All I see on BMW USA's Accessories website for this car is this $115 mat (# 51470309119). The other two protective covers are a $300 hard plastic tray that goes up the sides of the car, or a vinyl cover that also goes up the sides, but also has a "tongue" that hangs out over the bumper.

BMW Fitted Luggage Compartment Mat for Sport Wagons

Old 05-17-2011, 10:42 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 550iA M-sport '08 VW Golf GTI DSG '06

According to RealOEM there use to be a flat rubber mat (# 82129413180) that is no longer produced. The other is the one Lotus99 is showing above (# 51470309119).

//Ulf
Old 05-18-2011, 04:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Interesting. The first one seems to still be for sale at Tischer BMW (they have a pretty big parts inventory for good prices). Seems just like a thin anti skid mat though.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462

Quick Reply: Fitted rubber cargo mat in wagon with power liftgate