E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Evan's E61 Build: Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 10:22 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 523i
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by ucsbwsr
I can sell you the resonates x-pipe
I was just looking at the original muffler delete (first picture on the page) and thought that would be awesome as I live in London and it wouldn't be that big of a problem for postage and all. Not really looking at x-pipe at the moment.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:56 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: E61 with all the mods
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by Katitu
I was just looking at the original muffler delete (first picture on the page) and thought that would be awesome as I live in London and it wouldn't be that big of a problem for postage and all. Not really looking at x-pipe at the moment.
Gotcha. That original muffler delete was sold a couple years ago, I just included it in this post to show the complete history of my exhaust system.

For that delete I bought a pair of tips I liked and took it to a muffler shop to have them weld the two together. One thing to think about is IDEALLY you should have a tip with 3" inlet, most are 2.5" and it will either be restrictive or a nightmare for the shop to make it work.

Evan
Old 10-19-2015, 08:36 AM
New Members

Gotcha. That original muffler delete was sold a couple years ago, I just included it in this post to show the complete history of my exhaust system.

For that delete I bought a pair of tips I liked and took it to a muffler shop to have them weld the two together. One thing to think about is IDEALLY you should have a tip with 3" inlet, most are 2.5" and it will either be restrictive or a nightmare for the shop to make it work.

Evan
Thanks for your reply and the kind information, would you suggest it for me to invest time and money in or is it just not worth it. Also did the vehicle sound any different and were there any problems after installation?
Old 10-19-2015, 08:55 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Katitu
Thanks for your reply and the kind information, would you suggest it for me to invest time and money in or is it just not worth it. Also did the vehicle sound any different and were there any problems after installation?
It all depends on your goals and limitations. A muffler delete is an easy way to get more sound versus stock, you will get a little bit of drone in addition to the pops and crackles while decelerating. If you don't have to worry about emissions removing the 2ndary c-converters is a good option as it will improve flow and add some more sound. The stock resonator works very well and will keep the system from getting too loud if left in place.

Exhaust sound is very subjective so it is hard to tell you what you will and won't like. The best thing to do is research videos on Youtube to get an idea of how configurations sound. Ideally you would want to hear the exhaust in person and go for a ride to really understand what it offers.

That being said, if you are looking for a sportier sound and don't mind an increase in overall noise and slight drone a muffler delete is the best place to start. If you like it and want more sound, remove the 2ndary cats.

Hope this helps,
Evan
Old 10-19-2015, 11:24 AM
New Members

It all depends on your goals and limitations. A muffler delete is an easy way to get more sound versus stock, you will get a little bit of drone in addition to the pops and crackles while decelerating. If you don't have to worry about emissions removing the 2ndary c-converters is a good option as it will improve flow and add some more sound. The stock resonator works very well and will keep the system from getting too loud if left in place.

Exhaust sound is very subjective so it is hard to tell you what you will and won't like. The best thing to do is research videos on Youtube to get an idea of how configurations sound. Ideally you would want to hear the exhaust in person and go for a ride to really understand what it offers.

That being said, if you are looking for a sportier sound and don't mind an increase in overall noise and slight drone a muffler delete is the best place to start. If you like it and want more sound, remove the 2ndary cats.

Hope this helps,
Evan
Hi Evan, you are the man 👍 Thank you for taking your time and explaining everything in full I very much appreciate it you have definetly increased a 20 year olds knowledge who wants to transform his fathers E61 N52. I will definetly keep you in touch with what happens next and I look forward to bringing a smile on your face from your advice.

Thank you again and will let you know very soon.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:53 PM
Members
Senior Members

Here are a couple more sound clips

Old 10-30-2015, 12:56 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 530 XiT

Hey Evan,

what were the part numbers for your original muffler delete. The local guys are telling me the sensor coming off the rear of the OEM muffler can't be removed.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:59 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 5wag
Hey Evan,

what were the part numbers for your original muffler delete. The local guys are telling me the sensor coming off the rear of the OEM muffler can't be removed.
Not sure what you mean about part numbers as the muffler delete was all aftermarket parts. Regarding the sensor, there is no sensor, just a wire to control the can flap valve in the exhaust, it can be removed.

Evan
Old 11-02-2015, 03:07 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 530 XiT

Thanks Evan!
Old 11-25-2015, 08:23 PM
Members
Senior Members

I was getting a rough idle and occasional engine stalls (not cool) due to some old injectors. I also replaced the plugs and made some other mods...

Evan

Replaced my oem Bosch plugs with some NGKs gapped to .22

Old vs New

My trick for pulling out stubborn coils

Injectors

Blacked out engine cover roundel

Blacked out strut brace

Before/After

Details Matter

Random Pic

Quick Reply: Evan's E61 Build: Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All