E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Evan's E61 Build: Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 07:28 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: E61 with all the mods
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by Kasmo
Gah, debating if i should trade in my E60 sedan 525xi for a Xi E61 (hoping that if i get coilovers they would carry over) I got about 6k still left to pay for the E60.
E61 suspension is different as the KW kit doesn't include any spring in the rear since there is an air bag.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:00 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 525ix (N52 Engine)

I know there is a member that has an AWD E60 that is working with a company on a alternative version for Xi (E60/E61) models that are cheaper than the KW. Was hoping maybe i would get those and maybe those would carry over. Im not sure.

I like the wagon a lot. It looks way more bad ass hahaha. Not sure what way I will go yet with the E60, so far Iv been buying small bits and pieces of parts that would carry over to any other E60/E61.

Im graduating college in December so im hoping that if I land a job I would be able to either trade my 06 with the N52 engine for a E60 with a bigger more modifiable motor, or just get a E61. Now I dont know what engines came in the E61. If i got one I would look into a 2008-2010 year ones.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:00 PM
Members
Senior Members

Got the racks back on, they were off for waaaay too long. Spotted an F10 M5 with bike racks at the trail head in Santa Cruz, respect to the owner, fast shuttle vehicles are the best.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Nice. Which Thule rack is that for the bike? Thinking of getting a roof one. Got a Peloton right now, but it's a PITA taking the wheel off each time...
Old 04-22-2015, 10:56 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Lotus99
Nice. Which Thule rack is that for the bike? Thinking of getting a roof one. Got a Peloton right now, but it's a PITA taking the wheel off each time...
Thule 594xt, they are the best. My hardtail comes in at a tank-ish 40lbs and the rack keeps it solid even with spirited driving. Loading/Unloading are also easy with the swingarm design. I lucked out and snagged my racks from an REI garage sale for $40/ea.

For the record I am running Yakima whispbars and also highly recommend them for the wagon, they are as sleek as you can go for base bars.

Evan
Old 04-22-2015, 02:46 PM
Senior Members

I'm running the Thule Aeroblade bars and love them. Very quiet. Not the Edge ones, but the regular ones, in a 53" size.

Funny enough, the last couple of months I've been hearing a whistling noise which I am pretty sure is coming from the driver's side mirror. Haven't had a chance to research it to see how to fix it. Any clue?

As far as the bike rack, looks like you are using the Sidearm. I'm trying to compare it with the Big Mouth and the Criterium, to see what the pros and cons of each one is. Did you do any research on that you can share?
Old 04-22-2015, 07:47 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Lotus99
I'm running the Thule Aeroblade bars and love them. Very quiet. Not the Edge ones, but the regular ones, in a 53" size.

Funny enough, the last couple of months I've been hearing a whistling noise which I am pretty sure is coming from the driver's side mirror. Haven't had a chance to research it to see how to fix it. Any clue?

As far as the bike rack, looks like you are using the Sidearm. I'm trying to compare it with the Big Mouth and the Criterium, to see what the pros and cons of each one is. Did you do any research on that you can share?
Sidearm hands down, no contest.

I never noticed my oem mirrors whistling but I sure do notice my M5 mirrors, which is ironic. I have not looked into alleviating the noise, if I started down that path I would probably experiment with applying tape to see if you could cover up the gap of diffuse the flow causing the whistle. If you found something that helped maybe you could apply some clear vinyl as a long-term solution?

Evan
Old 04-23-2015, 12:05 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ucsbwsr

I never noticed my oem mirrors whistling but I sure do notice my M5 mirrors, which is ironic. I have not looked into alleviating the noise, if I started down that path I would probably experiment with applying tape to see if you could cover up the gap of diffuse the flow causing the whistle. If you found something that helped maybe you could apply some clear vinyl as a long-term solution?

Evan
Interesting. How come, if you don't mind? I've got one Big Mouth right now, but I had bought it on the recommendation of a Thule advisor, and can't recall why he suggested it, over the Sidearm or Criterium... On Amazon, they also seem to have great reviews.

I'll try your tips, thanks. Odd because nothing has changed with my mirrors, so I can't see a gap being there now causing Whistling where there wasn't a gap before
Old 04-24-2015, 10:08 AM
New Members

My Ride: 535xit

Evan, what did you use for the white lettering on your tires? I am always searching for tires with white lettering ever since I had bf goodrich radial t/a's on my 84 supra back in high school.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:07 AM
New Members

My Ride: 535xit
Model Year: 08

My passenger M5 mirrors were whistling like mad when i received the vehicle. I took it off,cut some of the rubber down, and re installed it. While it minimized the whistle significantly it did not completely remove it

Originally Posted by ucsbwsr

Evan

Quick Reply: Evan's E61 Build: Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All