E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

E61 Tailgate - how to open the glass? Slightly different question this time....

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 02:44 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530xit

Currently, I have the following problems with my rear tailgate:
  • Rear window does not open
  • Lock/unlock buttons do not work on my key remotes
  • No more key recognition when I put the key in the ignition
  • Radio reception is poor
I have a feeling all of these issues are due to broken wires in my tailgate hinge. Can anybody tell me
1. Which bundle of wires I should be exploring? There are two bundles per hinge. As you can see, I've got the right bundle on the right hinge exposed, but I can't find any wire breaks yet.
2. What color wires I should be looking for to fix these issues?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails E61 Tailgate - how to open the glass? Slightly different question this time....-img_20140720_153453.jpg  
Old 07-21-2014, 03:27 AM
New Members

My Ride: 520d Touring (Lci)

Thanks Paulie. My German is a little rusty but this looks promising....
Old 07-21-2014, 08:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Originally Posted by tortoiseracing
I have a feeling all of these issues are due to broken wires in my tailgate hinge. Can anybody tell me
1. Which bundle of wires I should be exploring? There are two bundles per hinge. As you can see, I've got the right bundle on the right hinge exposed, but I can't find any wire breaks yet.

Thanks.
Not sure what good it would do knowing which wires exactly they are. With all those problems, I would just open up both sides and check all the wires and fix what's needed. Even if all the wires were on one side, while you're at it, might as well check the other side.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:12 AM
New Members

My Ride: 520d Touring (Lci)

Thanks.
Start with the RHS loom that goes to the diversity antenna. There is a blue white that is for key remote lock/unlock and browns for power to the unit. If there is a problem it will be fairly obvious when you pull the wires back through the speaker hole. Fix all broken ones. Tie a cable or garden wire onto the connectors from the diversity unit so it is easy to pull them back through. Make sure you disconnect the battery earth before doing any of the work.

If the poor radio reception remains then you will need to look at the LHS as this is where the coax goes.

Alternatively your diversity unit could be water damaged (open up the white box and have a look at the PCB. Worth looking at the fuses too.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:33 AM
New Members

My Ride: 530xit

I opened up the wiring bundle going to the tailgate glass (RHS, inner bundle) and found four wires completely broken. My center brake light was out (something I didn't notice before), and the white/blue wire was severed (key remote).

The other broken one is the thin red/white wire. Does anybody know what that wire is for? The glass switch?

I checked the diversity antenna, and there is only minor corrosion on it. I cleaned it off, so hopefully it will not cause any problems.

Thanks for all the advice.
Attached Thumbnails E61 Tailgate - how to open the glass? Slightly different question this time....-img_20140721_135936.jpg  
Old 07-25-2014, 12:23 AM
Members

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
My Ride: E61 525i 2005, F11 528i 2012
Model Year: 2012

I have to say I love these pictures of broken wires. On one hand you think *darn* I have the broken-wire problem, on the other hand you think *yaay* I found the problem and I can fix it :-)

I opened up the wiring bundle going to the tailgate glass (RHS, inner bundle) and found four wires completely broken. My center brake light was out (something I didn't notice before), and the white/blue wire was severed (key remote).

The other broken one is the thin red/white wire. Does anybody know what that wire is for? The glass switch?

I checked the diversity antenna, and there is only minor corrosion on it. I cleaned it off, so hopefully it will not cause any problems.

Thanks for all the advice.