E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

E61 recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 05:16 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535 Sport Wagon
Model Year: 2010
Engine: N54
Default E61 recommendations

Hey guys, just picked up a 2010 535xi wagon. Needs tires, brake pads and rotors. Looking for all weather tires and am thinking about Yokohama Avid Ascend GT (if you have them lmk what you think). Want semi metallic pads and smooth rotors. Also looking for some other upgrades to help with longevity. Has 160k. O2 sensors were recently changed as well as HPFP/LPFP. Any and all feedback and advice welcome and glad to finally be part of the forum!
Old 10-09-2019, 04:07 PM
New Members

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My Ride: Deep Sea Blue E61 535xi

I use TireRack.com for a lot of my research. Their surveys and charts are awesome.
The Yokohama Avid Ascend GT seems to score well there, and has great specs, though it's a newer tire and the 'reported miles' are low so it might skew the reviews somewhat.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve....jsp?type=GTAS

Whatever you do on pads, research the low dust versions (aka NOT stock) like Akebono.

As far as the usual items, verify the drain hoses aren't clogged (front and rear), there's no water in the cargo area (battery area, spare tire well, etc), and that your 12V battery is nicely charged to prolong life (parasitic draw is a recurring theme).
An MHD and xHP engine and tranny tune will put a smile on your face too.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:02 AM
New Members

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
My Ride: 530iT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: L33

I would also check to make sure everything electrical functions as it should.

Should also check your tailgate wiring on both sides as they're likely very frayed.
The following users liked this post:
MysticRob (10-10-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 11:26 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzzy

Should also check your tailgate wiring on both sides as they're likely very frayed.
Great idea. These cars are unnecessarily complicated and so many things go nuts on them. Rear hatch window release buttons, liftgates, diversity antenna amps, sunroofs, stereos, electric and heated seats, mirrors, wipers (rear too!), etc, all have issues. They're great cars but the small problems will have you pulling your hair out trying to troubleshoot and resolve them. LOL
Old 10-11-2019, 06:02 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by MysticRob
I use TireRack.com for a lot of my research. Their surveys and charts are awesome.
The Yokohama Avid Ascend GT seems to score well there, and has great specs, though it's a newer tire and the 'reported miles' are low so it might skew the reviews somewhat.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve....jsp?type=GTAS

Whatever you do on pads, research the low dust versions (aka NOT stock) like Akebono.

As far as the usual items, verify the drain hoses aren't clogged (front and rear), there's no water in the cargo area (battery area, spare tire well, etc), and that your 12V battery is nicely charged to prolong life (parasitic draw is a recurring theme).
An MHD and xHP engine and tranny tune will put a smile on your face too.
thanks, will check on these things
Old 10-11-2019, 06:05 PM
New Members

Great idea. These cars are unnecessarily complicated and so many things go nuts on them. Rear hatch window release buttons, liftgates, diversity antenna amps, sunroofs, stereos, electric and heated seats, mirrors, wipers (rear too!), etc, all have issues. They're great cars but the small problems will have you pulling your hair out trying to troubleshoot and resolve them. LOL
yes, having issues with radio getting reception right now so trying to figure that out. Also have to replace TPMS module. Had it scanned and code came up for it. Thanks for help
Old 10-11-2019, 06:06 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzzy

knock on wood majority of electrical works. Have to replace TPMS Module. Going to check out tail gate wiring this weekend. Thanks for help
Old 10-13-2019, 09:46 AM
New Members

I'm thinking diversity amplifier for that radio reception problem. How does the key remote work? Short distance on that? And apparently the amp can cause one problems with one thing, and not the other, from what freqs are amped on the board. Apparently...

Last edited by MysticRob; 10-13-2019 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-13-2019, 05:09 PM
New Members

I'm thinking diversity amplifier for that radio reception problem. How does the key remote work? Short distance on that? And apparently the amp can cause one problems with one thing, and not the other, from what freqs are amped on the board. Apparently...
key remote doesn’t work. I changed battery too. I will check out issue with antenna.
Old 10-13-2019, 05:33 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by JP Colgan
key remote doesn’t work. I changed battery too. I will check out issue with antenna.
Be advised the antenna itself is never an issue, as it contains no moving parts or electronics that blow, and is merely a conduct for the signal to travel into the amp.
Get your remote real close to the rear window and shark fin and see if the remote works then. If it does then it'll rule out the remote, and definitely point to the amp.