E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

E61 panorama sunroof issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 06:12 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: '06 530xi sw

Hello bigbadbull.

I noticed the same thing on my car, the rubber strip just won't stay put at the corners.
Could you let me know what glue you used? or do I have to go to the dealer and ask them?

Thanks!!!

Originally Posted by bigbadbull
I just today had a second seal replaced on mine ( #2 in less than 6 months)the front 2 corners were bulging up and the adhesive used had failed since they put it in when it was too cold.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:58 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 525d manual touring. Beige comfort leather, panoramic sunroof, hifi and blinds option.

Fantastic !

I finally got round to doing the modification. Took me 1-hr max, and I cut off the little bits of black plastic with a simple hacksaw blade (having removed the blade from the hacksaw and wrapped cloth around the end I was holding). The cutting was really simple, and where to cut is obvious from the posted pictures. I would have used a Dremel, but didn't have mine to hand (on vacation) and actually think it works better with hacksaw as there is less risk of a slip-up .. (imho)..

All worked exactly as the procedure outlined, including the resetting afterwards. I now have the use of a tilting front panel which is EXCELLENT when leaving the car unattended in the sun.

Thanks to THF for this link and posted procedure.

As a final thought, does anyone (THF) have any thoughts on lubrication for the mechanism ??? What grade of oil, and where should it be directed ...

I just have to fix the broken tailgate wires, non-functional rear wiper, non-opening tailgate glass, the interior lights that wont go off, and the squeaking steering column .... BMW you should hang your heads in shame !!!

Thankfully these forums are really excellent for those who are out of warranty and object to paying to fix design faults !

Cheers,

Ian
Old 07-27-2010, 11:45 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ian,

I used a spray of White Grease, containing PTFE. You can buy this at a local DIY general carparts/tool shop.
Just spray a bit on the rail and the sliding mechanisms and slide open/ close the roof.

" As a final thought, does anyone (THF) have any thoughts on lubrication for the mechanism ??? What grade of oil, and where should it be directed ..."

Rgds

TFH
Old 08-02-2010, 01:35 AM
Members

Thank you very much TFH. This works and it's very easy.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:34 PM
Members

Should the blind be in 2 parts or just 1 part that slides back and forth and not completely cover the panoramic roof?
Old 08-05-2010, 01:13 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ravin beef
Should the blind be in 2 parts or just 1 part that slides back and forth and not completely cover the panoramic roof?
Old 08-15-2010, 10:50 AM
Members

It seems there might be very good experts to solve also my sunroof problem.

I have E53 3,0d 2005 with panorama sunroof. I think the sunroof is very similar than E61 sunroof.

The panorama is working now following way:
1. The sunroof will open to "flip position" at the normal way when the button is pushed up.
2. The sunroof will close from "flip position" when the button is slided to rear position.
3. The sun curtain is moving only to open direction when the button is slided to rear or front position. So, the other hand, it is moving only to open direction.
4. If I press the button up 15s and hold it up (reset), it will open first to the flip position. After that the sun curtain will slide to close direction about 5cm and reset sequence will stop. If I repeat this resetting several times, it is possible to run the sun curtain totally closed.

One guy here in Finland is also tried to reset the sunroof with INPA and this time the sunroof worked also the same way. First it opened to the flip position, after that the sun curtain moved about 5 cm to close direction and after that the resetting sequence stopped and some error message came to INPA.

With INPA it was possible to open and close the sunroof (front window) totally, so it seems that all functions are working.

After using INPA the following codes came to the faultmemory:

Autrieb Sos
A1, 21

Normierung Sos
A2, 21

Normierung SHD
92, 21

Maybe some expert of the forum knows what do these fault codes mean?
Thank you for your help!
Old 08-20-2010, 01:25 PM
Members

Tuomija,

It looks like the mechanism jams somewhere.
Inspect the rails and sliders (with the roof slided fully open)
If necessary clean the rails and sliders and put a bit of white PTFE grease on it.

Furthermore it looks you use the normal "learning" reset procedure (your description is not fully clear about that).

Anyway: You can better try the initialization procedure. This will reset the mechanism settings.
But do this only after you inspected, cleaned and greased the mechanism.
In this thread you can find the initialisation procedure. It should work for your E53 too.

regards

TFH

Originally Posted by tuomija
It seems there might be very good experts to solve also my sunroof problem.

I have E53 3,0d 2005 with panorama sunroof. I think the sunroof is very similar than E61 sunroof.

The panorama is working now following way:
1. The sunroof will open to "flip position" at the normal way when the button is pushed up.
2. The sunroof will close from "flip position" when the button is slided to rear position.
3. The sun curtain is moving only to open direction when the button is slided to rear or front position. So, the other hand, it is moving only to open direction.
4. If I press the button up 15s and hold it up (reset), it will open first to the flip position. After that the sun curtain will slide to close direction about 5cm and reset sequence will stop. If I repeat this resetting several times, it is possible to run the sun curtain totally closed.

One guy here in Finland is also tried to reset the sunroof with INPA and this time the sunroof worked also the same way. First it opened to the flip position, after that the sun curtain moved about 5 cm to close direction and after that the resetting sequence stopped and some error message came to INPA.

With INPA it was possible to open and close the sunroof (front window) totally, so it seems that all functions are working.

After using INPA the following codes came to the faultmemory:

Autrieb Sos
A1, 21

Normierung Sos
A2, 21

Normierung SHD
92, 21

Maybe some expert of the forum knows what do these fault codes mean?
Thank you for your help!
Old 08-24-2010, 08:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

The "UBOOT" is in for Sunroof leak #5 in 8 months....My rear set floor boards and upper load floor ( under the deck)have had varying amounts of water on them now since June when I got back from vacation. I can't leave the car out side do to constant threat of Afternoon thunderstorms here in the deep south.

Any one else think this is ridiculous? Last Modern BMW I will EVER Buy...Fool me twice.....
This time it killed the controller for the alarm and the remotes and the telematics controller....( both the x2 time replaced since Dec of last year)
Old 09-02-2010, 07:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

Well the car has been in the shop now for another 10days, still ahve not fixed the leak , and my assumptions were correct the Diversity modual developed a short from all the water and fried....

YeaH!

So I've had the car for about 10 months and it has spent about 2 months total in the shop now for 5 Panaramic Sun roof leaks, 2 of which now have caused major Electrial problems...

I asked if they could remove the sun roof and weld in a new roof pannel... they looked at me like I was nutz.... :thumbsdown:

Quick Reply: E61 panorama sunroof issues