E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

E61 panorama sunroof issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 08:06 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E61 520D 2007

If the rear part of the roof slides back, then the system is different from the one in the E61.
Here the rear part only tilts up, it does not move backwards.

Originally Posted by PMCP
Hi I am thinking about doing this on my X5 - the rear roof is stuck in the open tilt position - do you know how I could get it closed until I have time to do the repair?

Does the rear roof still slide open after your repair?

Thanks

Paul
Old 07-04-2010, 05:58 AM
gbr
Members

Originally Posted by PMCP
Hi I am thinking about doing this on my X5 - the rear roof is stuck in the open tilt position - do you know how I could get it closed until I have time to do the repair?

Does the rear roof still slide open after your repair?

Thanks

Paul
Open the internal cover (roofliner) completely.
Look for the small hole in the wedge shaped driver at the rear ends of the slider mechanisms. This wedge forces the rear glass to tilt.
Try partially inserting the tip of a long screw driver into the hole and tapping towards the rear. The wedge should slide towards the rear and the glass lowers. This needs to be repeated alternating left and right sides until the glass is down.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:36 AM
Members

As i get many questions how to close the rear roof first, i have updated my file with the closing procedure.
See attachment version 2.

Regards
TFH
Old 07-10-2010, 07:37 AM
Members

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Sunroof repair TFH_v2.pdf (282.2 KB, 2411 views)
Old 07-10-2010, 09:19 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 525d manual touring. Beige comfort leather, panoramic sunroof, hifi and blinds option.

I still have the same issue (stuck rear roof when in tilt position) ...

Just to be completely clear before I do this procedure (and I think this is the same question as BMW X5 previously) ..

Does the rear roof still slide open after this modification / repair ? (Quite happy to dissable the tilt on the rear, but I do like to get the full sliding mega-opening of the roof)...

Thanks,

Ian
Old 07-11-2010, 05:26 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by frost015
I still have the same issue (stuck rear roof when in tilt position) ...
Just to be completely clear before I do this procedure (and I think this is the same question as BMW X5 previously) ..
Does the rear roof still slide open after this modification / repair ? (Quite happy to dissable the tilt on the rear, but I do like to get the full sliding mega-opening of the roof)...
I've never seen my rear roof piece sliding anywhere

Have you?
Old 07-12-2010, 11:43 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 525d manual touring. Beige comfort leather, panoramic sunroof, hifi and blinds option.

Whoops,

I think you are completely right !

Sorry about that ... (Was thinking about the underlining I guess) ..

Cheers,

Ian
Old 07-17-2010, 12:37 AM
Members

Hmmm... I'm not entirely sure, and cannot test it since my sunroof is now stuck, but I thought that the sunroof has 2 settings. When you open (not tilt) the sunroof, it slides back. When you hit the button again, it slides back even more. Don't know if the back panel slides back as well, but pretty sure about the 2 settings.

Anyway, thanks for the instruction, currently looking at it and hoping this will be the end of my sunroof problems (same issue, back panel stuck in tilt position, had the dealer close it for me) and even more importantly: this solution is free!
Old 07-17-2010, 11:48 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61 520D 2007

Originally Posted by Dutchy
Hmmm... I'm not entirely sure, and cannot test it since my sunroof is now stuck, but I thought that the sunroof has 2 settings. When you open (not tilt) the sunroof, it slides back. When you hit the button again, it slides back even more. Don't know if the back panel slides back as well, but pretty sure about the 2 settings.

Anyway, thanks for the instruction, currently looking at it and hoping this will be the end of my sunroof problems (same issue, back panel stuck in tilt position, had the dealer close it for me) and even more importantly: this solution is free!
The 2 settings only move the front panel, the back panel only tilts.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:26 AM
Members

YES! Did the modification, peace of cake, took me about 30 minutes total, works like a charm! Only thing missing is the tilt of the rear panel, but I don't think that's worth over 2000 $/?. Sunroof now opens, tilts (apart from the rear panel), vents, basically does everything you'd want it to do. I can recommend it to anyone having problems with the sunroof.

So TFH, thanks a lot for this very useful mod! I'm a happy man and saved me quite some cash! Anyone have a nice Omega watch for sale?

Quick Reply: E61 panorama sunroof issues