E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

E61 panorama sunroof issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 03:09 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535
Model Year: 2008

Not really sure what is going on. Dealer just told me that my drains are clogged up on a 08 E61. Only a few months ago, car was towed in because the entire system was soaked in inches of water and shorted everything. The cause was due to sunroof seal not meeting spec. Something to do with too much of a gap allowing water to drain excessively through the rear pipes. A bunch of modules were replaced at that time to get the suspension and engine working along with the remote lock operational.. Now they are blaming the drain being blocked which is causing some relays, not modules to go south..

I am really surprised BMW has not put together a solution for the E61 to relocate the electrical controllers a foot higher and dryer location.

If the valves are the cause and the newer, someone suggested MY10 as the year they took out the valve, shouldn't that be a Service Bulletin for the earlier, including LCI cars?

It seems to me that BMW sold so few of these models that while the E60 received some attention, the E61 received no such attention. Whether the solution is a spliced on harness to relocate the relays to a safer location and a simpler drain pipe run with or without valve to properly drain the rear of the sun roof.

Has anyone contacted NHTSA? Failure of a cars electrical system is a safety issue to me. NO?
Old 07-06-2012, 12:02 PM
New Members

Hello,
Having pan roof problems. It was disconnected when I bought the car so I thought I'd try and fix it as everyone seems to say how easy it is.
I tried to open the roof and ended up opening in in vent mode, (pushing switch backwards) so now its stuck open..... I can't see which part to push with a screwdriver as the headlining panels are closed.
How should I have opened the roof lining so the glass panels don't vent?
How can I now close the rear glass and get the roof open to mod it?
Please help!!!
I already have the instructions off this post but can't see part number six in the diagram and I don't know how to operate the roof with the switch!!!
Thanks.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:59 PM
New Members

It's me again,
Ive now managed to get the main glass open manually and do the mod to disable the rear roof but can't get the rear glass to lower down, the roof liner still won't open and I can't see where to push with a screwdriver to lower the rear glass!!!!
Can anyone please help?
Old 07-14-2012, 06:39 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 530dA 3/2004

Stupid question:
If the rear glass stays tilt (lift up) does it harm the main glass function in anyway?
Why I'm asking this:
I tried to initialise the sunroof from my E61, but it crashes usually in quite close stage of the process.
It first tilts both glasses,, then closes both (but in my case rear stays open), moves main glass totally open and then closes it. In that last stage it have failed and the reason looks to be the bars that actually rises(lowers the rear edge of the main glass.
I can fold rear glass back VERY easily by those sliders in the mecanism, so I'm a bit confused what is the problem. The rear glass opens and closes by sliding the sliders easily and definitely the system is not stuckt. I wonder why the rear glass does not close automatically. Any idea?
I can do the rear glass killing, no problem, but before I cut the plastic I want to make sure the problem is there.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:14 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 530dA 3/2004

There is an other possibility:
Using part kit:

Ok, it took over 6 hours of work from me, but when the whole system was removed, it was also much easier to clear and grease.
The kit cost roughly 150 eur in Germany, so not so bad at all.
After the repair, panorama roof works as from factory.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:20 AM
Members

Hi Bingo,

Look at picture 1 in my instructions.
Locate part 6, that is the control carriage of the rear panel.
There is a left and a right one.
Push them both forwards to close the rear roof.

Regards

TFH
Old 03-24-2013, 09:41 AM
New Members

My Ride: nice car

I have a bmw 08-2004 E61 with this same problem

however I have not in step 3, number two the spring not be??

Can I do with a dremel or saw cubes works that are not on pano roof?? from me

thanks in advance for the thinking

Dennis Stadt Holland
Old 03-26-2013, 04:04 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 E61 LCI -Sport,Premium,CW,NAV

I was demonstrating my roof to a friend recently when I got the "Panoramic sunroof tilt anti-trap function!" error. I tried re-calibrating twice by holding up the vent button, and it goes through all of the movements but gives the same error. When I try to operate the sunroof, it only moves a few inches at a time then stops until I release and slide it again.

Based on the comments here, I suspect the anti-trap function is being activated due to high current draw by the motor. Has anyone been successful fixing this by greasing the mechanism? Any recommendation on what grease to use? I haven't had time to open it up during the day and look at the mechanism. Can I access everything with the roof open?

The seals seem to be fine, and I have not had any water leaks, luckily.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:36 AM
Members

To bypass the anti trap problem, you can use the initialization procedure in my instructions. You will find these instructions in my modification procedures in this thread.
Be aware that the initialization procedures disables the manufacturers programmed safety limits. so you need to take extra actions to avoid repeating problems.
After some years the roof mechanism needs to be cleaned and greased.
That is probably the cause of the anti trap activation.
To do so: after re-initialisation fully open the roof.
Clean every part of the mechanism, as far as you can access.
Use a white grease spray and lubricate moving and sliding parts.
open and close the roof several times.

Good luck

TFH
Old 08-30-2020, 02:30 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 535ixT
Model Year: 2008

Bump for a decade old nugget of information. Shop owner here, but Sunday night at 6pm in my drive way, as a thunderstorm was approaching and discovered my rear section of the sunroof would not shut. No access to ista at home etc. I knew 5series would have this covered and thankfully found this thread. I used a short allen wrench in the hole in item #6 to wiggle enough to get the rear section to close, right as the rain started. Thanks OP, no clue if you are still around but saved me a hour or more of frustration.