E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

e61 back right wheel banging over bumps

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 06:06 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2006 530xiT (production date 09/2005) with the self-leveling suspension and the back right wheel has developed this loud banging sound as it goes over bumps while driving at speeds in excess of 40 MPH. The camber of the back right wheel seems more than the back left wheel as well. Realizing that the camber of the rear wheels increases as the suspension drops, I measured the height from the ground to the top of the wheel well arch on both sides of the car. On level pavement the right side measures 1/2" lower than the left side. I also had a ride height error warning come up on iDrive about 6 weeks ago when the temperature was about -10 degrees C and I had the trunk full of luggage, but it cleared an hour later when I stopped and restarted the car and it hasn't come on since. It hasn't been that cold and I haven't had the car loaded with luggage and people since then so perhaps the error would come back if I subjected the car to the same circumstances again.

For those of you that have had the self-leveling suspension failures, did any of you notice the right side looking a little funny before the error messages became frequent and the back end of the car started resting on its bump stops? Does anyone know the production dates of the vehicles that have the intake hose problem? It almost seems that the right side air bag is low on pressure and the left air bag and sway bar are carrying the whole back end of the car. I'm thinking of going to the dealer and trying to get them to replace the compressor and hose under warranty, but since the problem appears to be just starting, I'm afraid that they'll waste 4 hours of my time looking at it and conclude that there's nothing wrong. Very frustrating since I drive my car every day and know when something's wrong - how can they conclude nothing is wrong after driving it 5 minutes? Typical for BMW dealers from what I understand.

Thanks for the help!
Old 03-24-2010, 07:55 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61 530d

what happens to me, that mostly comes out error for left side, at idrive it souns like: leveling system failure, but after connecting laptop, i saw that there are error that left side took too much time to rise up,
as i figured out after dissassemble compressor that there isnt enough pressure to lift up rear and leveling.
Yesterday i buy material from which i can made new compresion and guide ring for that compressor and later i can share with info how things going.
also as i understand that at air dryer havesome soleinod valve which is like bypass, but im not figured out how it works. just patience

but how You say that You have problem with right side then maybe Your problem could be, COULD BE valves after compressors which deliver to each side, maybe some leak into right side.....
Old 05-19-2010, 12:23 PM
Senior Members

karman, what happened, did you fix the compressor?

I have one sitting around at home, if you have nothing to do this weekend