E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Droopy bottom

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 05:43 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E61, Nov-2005. M-steering wheel +sport seats. Panoramic roof, Lighting package, Xenon, Adaptive headlights, Prof. navigation, CD changer, Voice control, Bluetooth, Heated seats, 128 alloys -18 inch, B&W Tuning (hounslow)

Might well be, especially with the "interesting" quality of roads here

Originally Posted by Kell' post='852598' date='Apr 20 2009, 08:03 AM
I hope it's not something specific to High Wycombe...
Old 04-20-2009, 05:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

Originally Posted by narvselius' post='850207' date='Apr 17 2009, 03:13 PM
So check the hose and if in doubt of the standard of the hose, replace it!
Swirl flaps and now this hose. Time for preventative maintenance! I will have a look at this hose next week.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 650 Grand Coupe
Model Year: 2016

When I saw that the title of this thread was droopy bottom, I expected to see a picture of an old woman, not an E61!
Old 04-21-2009, 07:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

Originally Posted by ENstig8or' post='852733' date='Apr 20 2009, 04:21 PM
When I saw that the title of this thread was droopy bottom, I expected to see a picture of an old woman, not an E61!
I had to drive it like an old woman to get it to the garage. It was resting on the bump stops so even the tiniest ripple in the road felt like going over a sleeping policeman at 60mph.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: carbonized MB coupe

Originally Posted by Kell' post='853888' date='Apr 21 2009, 11:23 PM
I had to drive it like an old woman to get it to the garage. It was resting on the bump stops so even the tiniest ripple in the road felt like going over a sleeping policeman at 60mph.
all these self L suspension systems suck.

over here all the Jap ones fail around 2-3years and range rovers cost much more to fix,
i am curious is the Citroens are more reliable,
Old 04-21-2009, 07:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by ENstig8or' post='852733' date='Apr 20 2009, 08:21 AM
+1
Old 05-08-2009, 01:36 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by garychairson' post='850179' date='Apr 17 2009, 11:49 AM
That doesnt look good at all. i will be crying if i see this on my E61.
it has not happened to me, but there is a post here that one of the guy has it packed up and he had it changed over for not much less than what you paid for. but he had to source his own pump and asked a guy in a garage to change it for him.
for as far as i know. this is 2 E61 had this problem. what is the year of yours?

Hi All.. since my last line regarding this droopy bottom matter and said i would cry if my E61 ended up like the orginal post.. Yes.. it **cking happened to me in 2 weeks ago. the Self leveling control failure shown on my idrive display. then i realised my interior mirror and the wing mirriors was looking abit lower than normal. got out and had a look at the back. it dropped. i must say it looked very cool. so cool that my mud flaps were touching the floor. i turned the key off and turned it back on. the pump was working but it is not move up at all. I still took the car out on the main road for about 2 mins. then stopped and turned it off and turned on again.. it went up abit, approximately the top of the tyre was in line with the arches.
so i took the car home and stripped the back under cover off and start investigation. i discovered the intake rubber host was cracked. hence dirt could have gone inside the pump and caused the damage. I had some hints from other member (chasney72) here that he suggested me to check the sensors to see if it is the problem. I took his advice and took the wheel off, undone the sensor linkage and turned the engine on, at this time the pump is working so i move the lever up and down slowly and noted that the pump work corresponding with the location of the lever. so i assumed it is in working order and put it back.
Next, i managed to ordered a pump from ebay. it turned up next day. what a touch! So i got home today and carried out the operation. it tooked me 2.5 hours to replace it. it is very easy to do so. it was the pump that wont be able to give full pressure to jack the car up. as soon as i changed it. it went up within 5 seconds after i turned the engine on. however, the back was not level btw the left and the right. i had to release the red and blue pressure pipes to release the stored pressure out of the system and let the back fall low down again and do up the two nuts that hold the red and blue pressure pipe. now, turn the engine back on again. this time both went up equally and level as it should be. then, i put everything back and the Self leveling control failure is no longer in the idrive. it is all fixed. i even checked the distance btw the floor and the arch both side. and they were 3mm difference. so i took that is acceptable.

I am not sure if any one want me to do a write up with photos support like what i have done for the rear number plate light problem that i had a few months ago. it is not really hard to change the pump. should there be more than 10 member requested this. i shall then do it for the E61 nation.
Once again, thank you for anyone who had left information in this forum before regarding this matter, which give me confident and the knowledge to carry this out myself. i paid for the pump on ebay for ?132 delivered. thanks for the guy who reduced the price for me as the gesture of good will. i sincerely appreciated for what he has done for me. A++
Old 05-08-2009, 03:57 PM
Members

about a month ago it happened to mine e61. Car was very low on the back and it was undriveable I put BMW to service and they told me that compressor is broken. Cost of new in PL is 250EUR I fixed it up and I hope it will never happen again despite of the fact that we have horrible roads with a lot of holes in Poland and I am riding on 20" rims ..... fortunately i have also MB r129 to drive for
Old 06-11-2009, 02:43 PM
Members

This issue seems to know no borders. I have the same problem with my car in Whistler, Canada. To those who have undertaken the surgery to replace the pumps themselves ? posted photos would be appreciated. I am hopeful that this is covered in my BMW North American Warranty ? but I will not know for a few days.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:29 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi guys,
not happened to me, but maybe interesting for the ones, which have this fault ..

A few days ago I rummaged in the BMW TIS system ... According BMW official documents the air shock strut has to be replaced after driving the car with faulty compressed air system ...

Regards Peter

Quick Reply: Droopy bottom