E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Driving lights on/off (NOT)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 09:48 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: –

Congrats on your new BMW Heikki! And ajamisen iloa!
Old 01-30-2006, 03:19 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Heikki' post='230507' date='Jan 27 2006, 12:14 PM
At least my one day old 525xi has the "Nordic" setting, i.e. I never need to touch the light switch, it can remain permanently in LIGHTS-ON position (as far right as the switch goes). When I fire the engine the headlights are automatically switched on and when I shut off the engine the lighs are shut off automatically again, day and night. That's the only sensible way in Finland. I never need to think about the lights.
I think this came with a new software already for MY 2005. There is actually a setting in iDrive called "Daytime running lights". The new cars imported to Finland have that setting on as default.
I heard that a new EU directive is being prepared making headlights obligatory day and night in the whole EU. Takes some years still...
I hope what you mentioned never will happen (EU directive compulsory lights). It might be of sense in your country, but unuseful in mine.

I know that in France they have decided to try during one year forcing everybody to keep lights on. It is a kind of experiment. (France is a mix of Nordic and Mediterranean country).

Wonder if wasting hours of life for the lamps under desertic conditions has any sense. (Max Lux)

Kind regards from the sun

Old 01-30-2006, 05:49 AM
Contributors

On the other hand there are well documented statistics of road accidents before and after the compulsory daytime lights in Finland and Sweden. The amount of 2 car collision accidents dropped 20% per year and the amount of car-pedestrian accidents dropped impressive 30% (because the pedestrians would better notice the oncoming cars, also during daytime).

The added cost is really meaningless. You just need to change your halogen light bulbs every other year instead of every four years. (With xenons every 4 years instead of every 8 years or so).
Old 01-30-2006, 06:48 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Heikki' post='231876' date='Jan 30 2006, 09:49 AM
On the other hand there are well documented statistics of road accidents before and after the compulsory daytime lights in Finland and Sweden. The amount of 2 car collision accidents dropped 20% per year and the amount of car-pedestrian accidents dropped impressive 30% (because the pedestrians would better notice the oncoming cars, also during daytime).

The added cost is really meaningless. You just need to change your halogen light bulbs every other year instead of every four years. (With xenons every 4 years instead of every 8 years or so).

OK. I accept your point of view, and we both believe that security is a priority. But again: Aren't those tests made under "Nordic" light lux conditions?

I bet you can not see the lights of a car under the sun in Spain, during the day. Simply they are not visible because of the enormous quantity of light . Even the Xenons!

As a motorbike driver, I am used to have permanently the lights on. And authorities in my country have not adopted that measure yet, not for a lack of consciesness but for a real doubt on results.

Do you know that Air conditioning is essential in my country to stay awaken in summertime? would you agree on the measure of compulsory instalation and use in Nordic countries? It is also a security point of view.

Kind regards