E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Depreciation

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 08:55 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going to change my 535d Sport Touring for a 320d touring and get either an M5 or another 997s as a weekend car. Well i was until the salesman came back to me an offered ?31000 against the new shape 320D ( ex Demo ). My car has done only 20000 on a 05 and just had new tyres all round and a service plus it has Sunroof , HUD, Media ,Xexons etc.......
I told him basically to get stuffed , and he rang me today and offered ?1800 more ( still told him to get stuffed) .
I went on Glass Guide website and paid ?2.95 to find out what the dealer's should be asking for my car , it says ?36,750 if in A1 and tyres are good, as mine is .

Its totally put me off from buying an M5 until they 2 have lost a shed load !
I got nearly ?4500 off the retail price when i bought this car which i thought was a good deal at the time.
I dont now
Old 01-06-2006, 11:35 PM
Members

My Ride: Booked: E70n X5 40d M. Carbonblack, oyster, comfortseats, Nav Pro, Active Drive, Panoramic, Hifi PRO DSP, HUD, Alutrim, Satin ext, gloss rails, towconnector, elctric lid, alarm and more. FS: E61 535D -06, Activesteering, Comfort seats, Hifi, M-steeringwheel, PDC, Rails, Tinted windows, Folding mirrors, Towconnector, Alu trims, Panoramic roof, ISO FIX, SonyEricsson BT-HF, 124 wheels, Alarm, Electric lid, Aburn interior, Xenons, Silvergrey and the crappy cupholders!!!

Most of the extras are not worth any when it comes to trade in. Here in Sweden it only differs if you have metallic, leather, automatic and both winter and summer tyres. The other is only worht any if you sell the car your self.

My car was valued as low as ?27000 by some dealers! Thas's after one year and 75000km. It was ?48000 when I picked it up as new. Street price for a car like mine as secondhand is about ?37000!

37 I can live with, but 27 was a little too much drop after one year.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:03 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

When you put extras on a car, you should do it because you want to and not expect to get the money back when you sell it. With the exception of leather and maybe 'met' paint they are worthless. They just make the car more attractive to buyers.
Dealers are in the game to make a profit, on the deal you quote he is looking at making ?4,000 if he sells your car at the price in glass's.
That is not unreasonable.
It is the price we have to pay for the convenience of part-ex.
The best deal is always by selling privately and buying cash, but not always practical unless we can put up with either no car or two cars for a period of time.
Did you put your mileage into formula in glass's? 20,000 is high for one year, most prices are based on 12,000 per year, so the price will drop accordingly for extra miles.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:58 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Keith Farrow' post='220411' date='Jan 7 2006, 09:03 AM
When you put extras on a car, you should do it because you want to and not expect to get the money back when you sell it. With the exception of leather and maybe 'met' paint they are worthless. They just make the car more attractive to buyers.
Dealers are in the game to make a profit, on the deal you quote he is looking at making ?4,000 if he sells your car at the price in glass's.
That is not unreasonable.
It is the price we have to pay for the convenience of part-ex.
The best deal is always by selling privately and buying cash, but not always practical unless we can put up with either no car or two cars for a period of time.
Did you put your mileage into formula in glass's? 20,000 is high for one year, most prices are based on 12,000 per year, so the price will drop accordingly for extra miles.
Yes i put the mileage down in glass guide and the spec i have is basically the must options on that car and the only other things i added was HUD , sunroof and heated seats. My real argument is that that they retail my car with my spec still for ?37995 to ?38995 if not more, with my mileage. Add the fact they probley have at least ?3000 to ?5000 in the 320D and its a complete con . At worst they would of been making around ?9000 profit and at best ?12000 ?
Another thing is that there always keen to use glass guide when u want more for your car but it clearly showed what mine would b worth ?36750 , ok i could live with ?35000 if i could knock a bit of the 320D but it just shows what a rip off when they come back the next day and offer ?1800 more.
Old 01-07-2006, 04:50 AM
Members

My wife's E61 530DSE Silver Auto 04 May with 15k and leather, xeons, Pro Nav, Pro Phone, Sunroof and service pack at 20 months old.
Best offer ?25k and the worst was ?22k.
Most dealers did not really want it!!
?44 list 20 months ago so ?19k or ?1k a month.

BMW is going anyway so cutting my loses.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d sport, Silver Grey/grey/maple. 20" Hartge Nova 7. Previously 19" staggered 172s

I am buying at the mo' (or trying to) and I wouldn't pay ?38k for your car with 20k miles. There are pages of E61s on the BMW website and they are not moving. The prices are just too close to the discounted new prices (having to wait three months for a new one) and the dealers don't have the scope to drop to market price because they paid BMW too much when they bought them.

Interestingly most are a pretty basic spec which also puts me off - who wants to pay even ?30k for a used car and not get a few toys?

My case is worse because I must have a towbar, ?600 (less disc) new, ?1500 to add to a used car. Made the new one even more viable.

Might be worth a private punt in Autotrader, the lack of spec'd cars might make yours attractive.

I did agonise about depreciation before buying, the E39 530d sport touring I am trading at 3.5 yrs old 60k miles has been the most expensive car I have ever owned on depreciation. Whatcar gives a 3 year value on the 535d E61 at 63% from memory (which is excellent) but the dealers just laughed, they told me to think in terms of 50% and I think they're probably right.

The downside of getting big discounts new.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 Titanium-Grey, Leather Dakota Black, 525d, Steptronic, Navi Prof & TV, Voice Input, Panorama ceiling, Xenon with dir, etc

Originally Posted by blingo' post='220821' date='Jan 8 2006, 08:52 AM
I am buying at the mo' (or trying to) and I wouldn't pay ?38k for your car with 20k miles. There are pages of E61s on the BMW website and they are not moving. The prices are just too close to the discounted new prices (having to wait three months for a new one) and the dealers don't have the scope to drop to market price because they paid BMW too much when they bought them.

Interestingly most are a pretty basic spec which also puts me off - who wants to pay even ?30k for a used car and not get a few toys?

My case is worse because I must have a towbar, ?600 (less disc) new, ?1500 to add to a used car. Made the new one even more viable.

Might be worth a private punt in Autotrader, the lack of spec'd cars might make yours attractive.

I did agonise about depreciation before buying, the E39 530d sport touring I am trading at 3.5 yrs old 60k miles has been the most expensive car I have ever owned on depreciation. Whatcar gives a 3 year value on the 535d E61 at 63% from memory (which is excellent) but the dealers just laughed, they told me to think in terms of 50% and I think they're probably right.

The downside of getting big discounts new.
Hi,

This is why i got a one year old used car from BMW in Germany.
It costed me less than a new 3 series.
Most of the depreciation has already been taken.
The risk is minimal (or is more controlled) in this car range and buying directly from BMW.
I saw older (Feb 2004) and less-spec car selling for more ?6.000 just yesterday!
The lease value for the car that i got from the bank is more ?8.000 than the price i payed (with all the legalization stuff).

This makes me feel good.

Since de depreciation of my 3 series (from ?45.000 down to ?18.000) i sweared it would not happen again.
As the car market is nowadays, it is the only rational solution i found for getting my car.

See you!
Old 01-09-2006, 04:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d sport, Silver Grey/grey/maple. 20" Hartge Nova 7. Previously 19" staggered 172s

Originally Posted by BigGrey' post='221387' date='Jan 9 2006, 12:27 PM
Hi,

This is why i got a one year old used car from BMW in Germany.
It costed me less than a new 3 series.
Most of the depreciation has already been taken.
The risk is minimal (or is more controlled) in this car range and buying directly from BMW.
I saw older (Feb 2004) and less-spec car selling for more ?6.000 just yesterday!
The lease value for the car that i got from the bank is more ?8.000 than the price i payed (with all the legalization stuff).

This makes me feel good.

Since de depreciation of my 3 series (from ?45.000 down to ?18.000) i sweared it would not happen again.
As the car market is nowadays, it is the only rational solution i found for getting my car.

See you!
BMW UK are not selling the used cars cheap enough for it to work here.

If I buy a year old, I only have 2 yrs warranty instead of 3, I lose ?1000 on the towbar (see original post), and someone else has used a large part of the tyres and service interval. They are not offering enough saving to match the current new discounts, and it is always worth a few quid for your own spec and the new smell.

BMW depreciation seems to be more mileage related than purely age at the front end, this has been Joker's problem.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:58 AM
Members

BMW depreciation seems to be more mileage related than purely age at the front end, this has been Joker's problem.
[/quote]

That has not really applied in our case! 15k in 20 months is not even average miles at 10k a year let alone 12k.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:13 PM
Senior Members

I am paying less than ?44 for a spec'd E61 535d sport so either you are being a bit unfair or you bought before the discounts were launched. I copped it with my E39 when the E60/61 arrived, buyers of SEs will take a hit now as the Sport is the main seller - the dealers are seeing to that, I was advised in no uncertain terms that the SE would be a bad buy now.

Overall I have to agree that the depreciation has hit harder than I expected, but how many ?40k cars really do keep their value? (and don't say the E class, that appears to be another myth).

Every one I buy I swear will be the last...

Quick Reply: Depreciation