E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Climate control malfunction?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 09:46 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Silver grey '06 535d M-Sport Touring, visibility pack, media pack, hi-gloss, heated leather, sun-pro glass Red Alert: 3500hp triple-turbo, alcohol-fuelled Case-IH

Anyone ever noticed warm air trickling through the top dash vents when everything else is set to cold - including the centre vent mixer valve. It's the same whether a/c is on or off. I get cool or chilled air from the lower and centre vents (depending on whether a/c is on or off), but occasional warm air flow coming out the top of the dash and it pisses me off. Took my E61 535D to local dealer who as good as suggested I didn't understanding how to set air flow properly in the i-Distract system..... and then proceeded to tell me it takes about 20 mins to cool fully. Well, I beg to differ - 25 degrees outside yesterday (that's 77 for those of you still using old money), got a/c blasting and the ally trim was almost ice-cold to touch around centre vent but was supplemented with infrequent wafts of noticeably warm air coming over the top of the dash when I specifically want it to blow cooled air. It will stop if I take airflow away completely - but I like a bit of cool air to come over the dash when chilling. Car was not parked in the sun, so this wasn't residual heat being pushed out of the dash material - it was blowing warm air from the get-go, as soon as the motor got some heat in it. I suspect the flap settings are not right, but wondered if this is a common occurrence. Anyone else had this situation, and more importantly, has it been cured?
Ta for any help offered,
Old 07-15-2008, 10:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Originally Posted by Geoff A' post='624516' date='Jul 15 2008, 07:46 PM
Anyone else had this situation, and more importantly, has it been cured?
Ta for any help offered,
Sorry Geoff, don't think I can help you here. I've noticed on some occasions that they system let warm air down on the feet in spite of the A/C on and it's +21 degrees outside. But very seldom.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:12 PM
Members

My Ride: december 2011 525d SE
Originally Posted by Geoff A' post='624516' date='Jul 15 2008, 06:46 PM
Anyone ever noticed warm air trickling through the top dash vents when everything else is set to cold - including the centre vent mixer valve. It's the same whether a/c is on or off. I get cool or chilled air from the lower and centre vents (depending on whether a/c is on or off), but occasional warm air flow coming out the top of the dash and it pisses me off. Took my E61 535D to local dealer who as good as suggested I didn't understanding how to set air flow properly in the i-Distract system..... and then proceeded to tell me it takes about 20 mins to cool fully. Well, I beg to differ - 25 degrees outside yesterday (that's 77 for those of you still using old money), got a/c blasting and the ally trim was almost ice-cold to touch around centre vent but was supplemented with infrequent wafts of noticeably warm air coming over the top of the dash when I specifically want it to blow cooled air. It will stop if I take airflow away completely - but I like a bit of cool air to come over the dash when chilling. Car was not parked in the sun, so this wasn't residual heat being pushed out of the dash material - it was blowing warm air from the get-go, as soon as the motor got some heat in it. I suspect the flap settings are not right, but wondered if this is a common occurrence. Anyone else had this situation, and more importantly, has it been cured?
Ta for any help offered,
Hi Geoff,
Have You adjusted the settings in the i drive for the centre vents,You can set them to blow warm or cold air.. If You Have already tried it set your vents to warm blast them at full fan for five minutes and then set them to cold, put the climate on its lowest setting and blast it again.. This is what Irvine Bmw told me to do when I had the same Problem and it Cured it...
Should Hopefully sort out your problem straight away!
Fingers Crossed
Good luck
Martin
Old 07-15-2008, 04:14 PM
Members

Also check for a software update at your dealer You Never Know!!
Old 07-16-2008, 01:37 AM
Members

My Ride: Silver grey '06 535d M-Sport Touring, visibility pack, media pack, hi-gloss, heated leather, sun-pro glass Red Alert: 3500hp triple-turbo, alcohol-fuelled Case-IH

Thanks Martin - I'll give it a try to see if it resets itself....
Old 07-19-2008, 09:06 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Geoff A' post='625305' date='Jul 16 2008, 10:37 AM
Thanks Martin - I'll give it a try to see if it resets itself....
Any Joy?
Old 07-22-2008, 02:53 AM
Members

Nope - tried it twice, but to no avail. Still blows warm air out the top when everything else is set to cold. It's worse first thing in the morning - while everything else is cold from being parked overnight because as the engine warms up, in comes the warm air through the dash-top vents. I reckon it needs to see a different dealer, for a different viewpoint....
Old 07-22-2008, 03:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

... could be an old fashion hardware failure (maybe that's why your dealer is dumbfounded, they only do software updates nowadays!). Not sure what the device is called in English, but it's attached to the ventilation distribution and regulates the airflow up/down. In Swenglish it'll be "step engine" indicating it steers the flow by opening/closing step by step. Could be that it doesn't go the whole way up and thus letting warm air in.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:41 AM
Members

I could agree with your thoughts on that one, and understand what you're thinking of. And where there was once a cable to pull the flap, there's probably an electric motor that only does part of its job. I just need to find a good dealer who can survive without his laptop and think for himself
Old 06-12-2009, 03:38 AM
Members

any solution found yet ?
I have the same issue. It blows warm air on top of the dashboard and the vents are speeding up and slowing down on its own...even on non automatic

Quick Reply: Climate control malfunction?