E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Check out my custom "hodge-podge" exhaust (sound included)

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 10:00 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 535xi 6MT, '81 Scirocco Turbo Ragtop
Model Year: 2010
Default Check out my custom "hodge-podge" exhaust (sound included)

Ever since I stepped up to Stg 2 VTTs and FBO status after my engine failure early last year, I've been pining to upgrade the DP-back portion of the exhaust.

Having been a Supersprint user for over 25 years, I knew it was SS or bust for the wagon regardless of price tag because I pretty much knew what I'd be getting from a quality/fitment/sound standpoint. But because of the amount of $$ I dumped after the engine failure, I just hadn't been in the position to make it happen.

The exhaust upgrade jonesing continued to steadily increase. One day, for sh!ts and giggles, I hopped onto ebay and searched "bmw supersprint" and was met w/ an interest-piquing auction for a new F10 M5 left muffler. Didn't think too much of it originally because, obviously, it's a different platform. I opened the auction anyway and somehow just started visualizing. But what really caught my eye was that it was basically half the price of the 535xi SS application! ($500 vs $1000)

Finally, once I saw that it had a 30-day return policy, I decided to roll the dice so I could inspect it in person.

Oddly enough, the inlet on the F10 SS piece is the exact same as the stock muffler (80mm I believe)! Further examination though revealed that the inlet was going to need some slight reconfiguration as well as a couple of the hangers. Then we ran into the first hurdle - you can't buy 304SS tubing in 80mm in the US. At all.

After some head scratching, my fab guy came up with the idea whether it was possible to expand the inlet to 3.5". Took it down the muffler shop and sure enough, a few tweaks on the hydraulic tubing expander and voila! 3.5"! You know what that means, right? Custom DP-back setup. Two 2.5" sections from the DPs into one 3.5" y-pipe.

It's a smidge too loud under load for me at this age, and maybe I'll toy with a resonator at some point, but I didnt notice any drone while the tone is spot-on. Totally what I had hoped for and assumed i would get from a supersprint product.

(BTW - ignore the dork w/ the raspy voice speaking during the vid (me)

Even though the roads were wet, I managed to get on it pretty good and OMFG! It's bordering on scary fast! With absolutely zero noticeable back pressure, the turbos just spool up like nobody's business. Not exaggerating, I had chills for nearly 30 mins after I drove it! Must've netted easily at least 40-50 hp in conjunction with all the other mods, not to mention the fact that it weighs probably a third of the OEM setup...
Attached Thumbnails Check out my custom "hodge-podge" exhaust (sound included)-rear-smalll.jpg   Check out my custom "hodge-podge" exhaust (sound included)-under-small.jpg   Check out my custom "hodge-podge" exhaust (sound included)-tips-small.jpg   Check out my custom "hodge-podge" exhaust (sound included)-old-small.jpg  
Old 01-31-2018, 10:30 AM
New Members

My Ride: E61 535xi 6MT, '81 Scirocco Turbo Ragtop

Damn...crickets??
Old 02-02-2018, 10:00 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 e61 535xi
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by gamblinfool
Damn...crickets??
hahaha. I like it man. Sounds like what I would want after checking my cars overall health.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:28 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2010, E61, 535i xDrive

Sounds nice, congrats!