E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

CCC to CIC?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 05:10 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xI Wagon
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54
Default CCC to CIC?

just got a new to me 08 535xi wagon. it was made in 05/07. i want a way to play MP3"s. my car doesn't have any USB ports, and only seems to have an aux port in the center console. the port has a sliding cover. all the posts i can find seem to only be people with pre LCI cars upgrading.
my question is can i just add the USB port and appropriate coding, or should i just upgrade to CIC? i don't have, nor will i ever have an IPhone. all i am interested in is playing MP3's and watching DVD's while on long trips. i can't find any precise answers from Google. please help. listening to the radio is slowly killing me.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:09 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2010, E61, 535i xDrive
Model Year: 2010

CIC won't help you stream bluetooth either. Look around this forum, there are bluetooth adapters you can use and power it with the USB port in the center console, next to the 3.5mm phone jack. That would be your only option if you have those items in the center console.
Carly sells an Install-on bluetooth receiver as well but I'm not sure it is for a CCC...it might, check them out too.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530d Touring
Model Year: 2007

This works perfectly......

Amazon Amazon

Your phone can hook up to that along with the cars bluetooth for phone at the same time, it will auto connect, auto stop your music when you turn the engine off etc.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530d Touring

The only thing I would add is, the charger it came with interfered with FM and AM reception in poor signal areas, also DAB, but I am in the UK not sure on whether it would do that to Sirrus?

But then so do so many chargers, especially dash cam ones.

The one I have found to not do so is this Belkin..

Amazon Amazon

Can't find it on its own, but someone selling the pack for $12.
Old 10-30-2018, 05:37 AM
New Members

i guess i wasn't clear enough as to what i was wanting to do. i currently do not have any USB port, in the glove box or center console. all i want to do is add the OEM USB port to the center console so i can use a USB thumb drive to listen to MP3's from. since i should have a system capable of that option, all i should need to do is get the needed hardware and code my car to recognize the USB port, right?
Old 10-30-2018, 06:19 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2010, E61, 535i xDrive
Model Year: 2010

OK, then CIC will do the trick...but it is slow because every time you restart the car the USB has to re-index all songs, so if you have a 128 GB stick filled with songs it might be 5-10 minutes before you can start playing songs. CIC (coded properly) will also let you watch DVDs while driving...not recommended for driver though

I think at this point your best choice (and cheaper) would be to upgrade to Android system with touch screen
https://avinusa.com/8-8-bmw-5-series...on-system.html
Old 10-30-2018, 06:39 AM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Engine: N52

My advice? Playing MP3s has become passé. I'd suggest investing $20 bucks in an easy-to-install Bluetooth board as described in this thread. I have free Pandora, Spotify and Amazon Music accounts that provide all the music you could ever listen to + podcasts if you're into that sort of thing.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:50 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by pocholin
OK, then CIC will do the trick...but it is slow because every time you restart the car the USB has to re-index all songs, so if you have a 128 GB stick filled with songs it might be 5-10 minutes before you can start playing songs. CIC (coded properly) will also let you watch DVDs while driving...not recommended for driver though

I think at this point your best choice (and cheaper) would be to upgrade to Android system with touch screen
https://avinusa.com/8-8-bmw-5-series...on-system.html
ok, didn't know that it would have to reindex everything. the Mercedes i just traded in did that, but only took a few moments.
i was looking at the AVINUSA system you linked. however it didn't specifically mention adding a USB port and what not. guess i will need to look more into it.

Originally Posted by JayArras
My advice? Playing MP3s has become passé. I'd suggest investing $20 bucks in an easy-to-install Bluetooth board as described in this thread. I have free Pandora, Spotify and Amazon Music accounts that provide all the music you could ever listen to + podcasts if you're into that sort of thing.
i get that, but i have been listening to MP3's on a thumb drive for a decade or so. got one ready to go. that's whats killing me. the issue with the items linked are that i will need to run a cable to my center console from my cig lighter, since i don't have a power source in the center console by the AUX input, or do some custom wiring just make a clean install for an aftermarket Bluetooth adapter. would rather put that effort into installing an OEM set up.
however, i will look more into the link you provided.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Engine: N52

Another option is...do you have the in-dash CD player? Your could burn your MP3s to disk and play them that way. I did that for years.
Old 10-31-2018, 04:31 AM
New Members

that's what i have been doing now. i got some CD-R's, and put some MP3's on one. its the least, worst, option right now. it will tide me over till i can figure out what i want to do. FYI the DVD player doesn't recognize MP3's. that's the first thing i tried.

Quick Reply: CCC to CIC?