E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Canadian availability? Some other q's...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 12:53 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 06 530xiT M

Originally Posted by jbeene' post='638400' date='Aug 2 2008, 11:02 PM
Yes, they'll honor the original warranty and a bunch of things have changed with importing them so its actually feesible again. You won't get the free maintenance and they won't honor the Certified Series warranty. Only the new car warranty applies so pay attention to how old the car is and how much warranty is left. The "in service date" will be very important on an 06. Some were sold in early 05 as 06's so may be out of warranty.

If you find a car in the US you want you'll need to import it and register it get it inspected through the Registrar of Imported Vehicles.

www.riv.ca

Make sure the daytime running lights are switched on by the dealer in the US, make sure the car has KM and MPH on the speedometer and make sure it has the latch atttachment for child seats in the rear seats (an 07 should have all of these things). If the speedo needs to be changed you are going to have to change it to the tune of about $3,000 - $4,000 depending on the dealer. Also get the US dealer (they have to be an authorized BMW dealer) to provide you with a letter stating that there are no outstanding recalls on the vehicle and that everyhting is up to date.

The bill of sale and title and an export form have to be sent to the border crossing you plan to export the vehicle though (on the US side) 72 hours before you plan to export the vehicle. There is a link to the US regs on the RIV site.

I did this with an 08 Toyota Sequioa for my wife in February and it was easy as pie - SO LONG AS YOU KNOW ALL THE RULES AND ABIDE BY THEM.

The guy next to me at the Canadian Customs office at the border had done it all wrong, tried to lie about some stuff and went through a world of hurt. I was in and out of the border crossing in less than 40 minutes. It was a little easier at the border because the vehicle was brand new but essentially all the same rules and regs apply to a new or used vehicle.

But you won't find a dealer that will sell you a new one for export in the US. Its verboten and they'll lose their franchise when BMW Corporate finds out they sold a car for export into Canada.

Personally I'm wavering between finding a 535xiT and putting the Dinan flash on it (my 335i coupe has it and it is amazing) or importing an M3 sedan. In either case my wife will kill me...

BTW, don't forget that there is a 6.1% duty applied to vehicles mfrd in Germany. An X5 or Z4 made in Carolina is exempt but a 5er, 6er, 7er or a 3er will have the tax.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:25 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jbeene' post='638400
to the forum. e60.net also provides info such as engines, trims, and even owners manuals thru the years of e60's. You might find it useful as well when doing your research..
http://www.e60.net/information/

GL with your purchase decision...
Thanks, and yes - that info page is very useful!
Old 08-04-2008, 07:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Ford F-250 Harley Davidson Edition 6.4L OHV Power Stroke Turbo Diesel V8 (350hp/650lbft) Blue Flame Package Dual Alternators Touch Screen Navigation + DVD Player Uplifter Switches Trailer Brake Controller Traction Control Rapid Heat Supplemental Cab Heater Rear View Camera Power Slide Moonroof

Originally Posted by andy535xi' post='616047' date='Jul 3 2008, 06:36 PM
Hey Scott,

I'm in Toronto. I placed the order for my 2008 BMW 535xi wagon in April and I am still waiting. At first it was supposed to be "May production", I pushed the car back into June production intentionally, and BMW swore it would be here in July. I got a call from them last month saying there are not enough "allocations" for Canadian Market and the car would be produced in July - I would get delivery in mid August. My dealership told me the BMW plant is at capacity and allocation is scarse.

As far as I know, 2007 and 1/2 was the debut of the 535. I test drove the 535 and fell in love with the smoothness and power deliver of the engine. I think the 530 (3.0L 255hp engine) is still "perky", but I'm addictive to power, so I chose the 535

One issue I had with my dealership is that I ordered "night vision" as my option, but they could not install the camera on the sport bumper which comes with Sport Package. I've called/e-mailed distribution, BMW Canada and everyone I could to get this option installed, but the intercooler was in the way.

Good Luck with your puchase.

BTW: I got 5% off the list price in my negotiations, the dealer would not budge on more.
I feel for you brother! I was told I'd have my 535xi in 2 weeks, since all they had to do was bring it in from Calgary.. 2 and 1/2 months later.. You can't trust dealers with anything, they just want the sale and then they'll f%$@ you from every angle.

Make sure and post pics when you get it, GL!
Old 08-04-2008, 10:25 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll sure post pics alright, I'm getting it this months (mid August) ... can't wait
Old 08-05-2008, 05:27 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got an answer from the Dealer: my car will be here is a day or two. The bad news is that I'm leaving out of country in two days, and will only see my bimmer in two weeks.

Question: I really want to install a back-up camera ... I've had one in my Tundra and I loved it - If my car physically fit into a parking space, I would parallel park it there. The precision was to less than an inch.

BMW wants $1,800 for the camera. It is kind of pricey, then again, it will simplify my life and make me enjoy backing up into anything.

Question: Would you get it for $1,800?