E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Breyton gts-r info

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 07:22 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by v_therussian
you're cool, Kuul

I would say VMR is much more attainable, since I think the GTS-Rs are being phased out. I think tirerack.com has taken Breyton GTS-R out of their inventory, but check there (if you haven't yet).

If you live where there aren't that many potholes, then you've got nothing to worry about. The only issue that I've heard is that VMRs may be susceptible to bending, but again, in Fla it shouldn't be a problem.

Rears should better be 285/30/19s - the 275s will yield a bigger difference in rolling diameters, increasing the chances of long-term damage to the differential.

ET38 in the rear will be perfect, but keep in mind that if you want that "flush" look, you should probably shoot for ET35 or even ET33 in the back. If you want to be safer, go with the ET38's and get spacers if needed. I personally don't think that using spacers is the best thing, so I don't recommend it, unless it is basically unavoidable.

For another alternative for wheels, check out:

-Miro 111
-Vorsteiner CS-01
-Forgestar F14

My personal fave - and hopefully, my future purchase - are the Vorsteiners. But I am going by weight as well as design too - I want to lower the unsprung weight as much as I can. We have plenty of vendors on this forum, who sell all of the above and more. Specifically, if you go DPE - which is completely customizable forged wheel - I'd recommend Acute Performance. For Vorsteiners, EuroRev seems to have the best deal. Forgestars - not sure, same for Miros and VMRs - you just have to have all the fun yourself, searching for the vendor and finding best deals

Again I thank you for all your info. It has helped me a lot. Im sticking to 19's and Im going with teh VMR VB3 19x10 et38 rear and 19x8.5 et40 on the front.

Now I just got off the phone with KW and they dont offer a coil over kit for JUST the front for the 2006 530xi with rear air suspension. They even recommended against going coil overs in the front only and that they have no conversion kits for the rear air ride suspension. The ONLY option I would have is buying them seperately - with KW providing just the part numbers for the front, what do you think about this ? Thanks again and I guess this is the last info I would need to make my move =o)
Old 03-09-2010, 11:47 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

The v3's have and adjuster for the rear coil overs...
I don't think any one ever said just the front coil overs.

The Kw v3 run like $2800 for a set non installed.
Some people have had their dealers recode the default load level setting at the dealer, but I'm willing to bet 90% of the dealers will look at you funny when you say your car has Air springs in the rear ....

I don't know if this helps...
KW V3 coilover kit 06+ BMW 5SERIES E61 (560L) WA
Old 03-09-2010, 12:32 PM
Members

Originally Posted by bigbadbull

Some people have had their dealers recode the default load level setting at the dealer, but I'm willing to bet 90% of the dealers will look at you funny when you say your car has Air springs in the rear ....

I spoke to KW and they said they dont have anything for the rear air ride suspension for a 2006 awd 530xi - offered me ( but recommended AGAINST it ) to just order the front ones. Anyone go through this with KW ? I dont mind going to the dealer to lower the rear as I have a friend that works for a BMW dealership Im more concerned about the ride quality
Old 03-09-2010, 04:03 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by Kuul4
Ok. I'm a jerk too.. That's why I commented..

Well let's get serious again. Is it so that there is no springs what so ever available for the AWD, just coils? At least in Europe the H&R is quite respected spring manufacturer and many RWD driver is using them on E61's Getting a bit OT, but anyways..
H&R is a quality product. The problem is that there aren't any shocks available for Xi to match the lower springs, so it ends up ruining the ride and handling. It also has long-term effect on the suspension components.

Originally Posted by Redzeater
Again I thank you for all your info. It has helped me a lot. Im sticking to 19's and Im going with teh VMR VB3 19x10 et38 rear and 19x8.5 et40 on the front.

Now I just got off the phone with KW and they dont offer a coil over kit for JUST the front for the 2006 530xi with rear air suspension. They even recommended against going coil overs in the front only and that they have no conversion kits for the rear air ride suspension. The ONLY option I would have is buying them seperately - with KW providing just the part numbers for the front, what do you think about this ? Thanks again and I guess this is the last info I would need to make my move =o)
You may need spacers with those offsets, which I do not recommend. But these offsets will work

Originally Posted by bigbadbull

You can get a deal on V3's for around 2 grand these days.

Originally Posted by Redzeater
I spoke to KW and they said they dont have anything for the rear air ride suspension for a 2006 awd 530xi - offered me ( but recommended AGAINST it ) to just order the front ones. Anyone go through this with KW ? I dont mind going to the dealer to lower the rear as I have a friend that works for a BMW dealership Im more concerned about the ride quality
This is very strange. I thought that the KW set goes in front and rear - looking at their online store: seems like they have a full coilover kit for E61 (part# 35220045).

I think the trade off is, you'll be swapping the air suspension for conventional in the rear, but this is actually a good thing - the air suspension is known to have some expensive issues (intake tube gets dirty over time, allowing moisture and debris in the airbag and that ends up ruining the compressor and the airbag over a long term). Which is not to say that this a common issue with all E61s, but going to conventional from air suspension is not a downgrade.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:11 AM
Members

Originally Posted by v_therussian
H&R is a quality product. The problem is that there aren't any shocks available for Xi to match the lower springs, so it ends up ruining the ride and handling. It also has long-term effect on the suspension components.

You may need spacers with those offsets, which I do not recommend. But these offsets will work

You can get a deal on V3's for around 2 grand these days.

This is very strange. I thought that the KW set goes in front and rear - looking at their online store: seems like they have a full coilover kit for E61 (part# 35220045).

I think the trade off is, you'll be swapping the air suspension for conventional in the rear, but this is actually a good thing - the air suspension is known to have some expensive issues (intake tube gets dirty over time, allowing moisture and debris in the airbag and that ends up ruining the compressor and the airbag over a long term). Which is not to say that this a common issue with all E61s, but going to conventional from air suspension is not a downgrade.
Is there any conversion kit needed ? Or is it just remove all components and install the coil overs in the rear ? I wouldnt mind going coil overs in the rear but is there anything I'd have to buy to install these ? The rep at KW did mention that they dont have any conversion kits ? Thanks again
Old 03-25-2010, 05:47 AM
Members

The KWs for E61, both V2 and V3 are front coilovers as mentioned, but the rear replaces the factory Sachs shocks with V3 units. Additionally, both kits come with a modified link that replaces your factory link and "tricks" your car into thinking it needs to be lower. Nothing like this was available on my old E39 wagon so I ran factory rear shocks with my own modified links and coilovers in the front for 60k without issue. Not saying you should do this, but if you don't want to pay the $$$ for KWs you can still lower the rear without having to have the dealer reprogram your air ride ($$$ again). Check Tire Rack, they just started carrying KWs recently.

With all of that said, I have a set of V2s in the mail. I'll post my results once I get them fitted!