E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Bodykit for an '08 E61 (LCI)

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 09:22 PM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535xiT Silver/Gray with Sport, Nav, Cold, Convenience, Logic7 and more.

Originally Posted by sheldor535i
I was told that I can just get MTECH without PDC, but I would have to take out my PDC but it will need to be reprogrammed... question is if I take off the PDC will this void the warranty?
Just a speculation on my part, but imagine that PDC sensors harness got disconnected behind the bumper cover, so now you lost say all your rear sensors and you are forced to drive around like this for 6 months until you decide or able to take the car to a dealer (OMG!) to fix it.
This alone should not void the warranty IMHO.

However, I am not familiar (yet) with the concept of reprogramming these cars, so curious to hear any input on that!
By the same token if dealer reprograms our rear air suspension to drop it, would that void _any_ warranty?
Old 08-31-2011, 07:15 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: alpine white 535 E61
Model Year: 08

I could not find any dealer that would or that could reprogram the rear air bags. But I will ask the tech I know if it's possible but since he was involed in the coilover install I think he woould have mentioned it. But I will ask. A Bavarian Tech cable is useful for codes and battery adaptation ( if u believe that type of thing.) but there's tons on coding info out there.

http://www.bmwcoding.com/forum.php
Old 09-01-2011, 07:07 AM
Senior Members

From a BMW tech. The rear can be manipulated via there computers but anything more than an inch will probably throw a code..
Old 09-01-2011, 07:37 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 bmw 535i black sapphire metallic w/ tan interior , sports package , premium package , parking sensor, shades,usb , HRE 20's, CKS C1's coilovers, rpi scoop, OEM M5 side mirrors,OEM Gloss black kidney grills, ACS roof spoiler, ACS Trunk spoiler, 15% madico tint all around.. NEXT UP: bodykit and quads ( installing soon) cobb

did u ask about taking off the pdc as well? will it void warranty?
Old 09-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Senior Members

I did not ask.. But I can't see why they would.. I'd asked this SA..
Old 09-14-2011, 01:51 PM
Members

So if I have a pre-LCI car and want to put a M-tech rear bumper cover on, do I need to add all the parts for the conversion? Will i be able to reuse my parking sensors if they are the same size?
Old 09-14-2011, 05:43 PM
Senior Members

Pre lci cars are ez, just buy the mtech bumpers and paint install.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:04 AM
Members

Awesome thanks! Gonna order my rear bumper cover today! I am planning on putting a dual (quad) exhaust diffuser! Nice! thx!
Old 11-14-2011, 09:15 AM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535xiT Silver/Gray with Sport, Nav, Cold, Convenience, Logic7 and more.

I finally got around to installing Mtech body kit on my 2009 535xiT. Some quick cell phone pix attached.
The front driver side lower grill has radar detector sticking out, I need to cut a nice plastic cover for it out of a night vision cover.
I ended up outsourcing the entire job to a body shop guy since I could not resist the price he quoted, but I stayed on top of things.

So, the conversion of PDC sensors was pretty easy, the most difficult part was drilling 18mm holes (used
11/16 step bit) in bumper covers and sanding them down - the end result looks just like stock bumpers. The 11/16 hole is a bit tight for LCI sensors, but this is where the black rubber sleeve around them helps by compressing.
And installer had to re-solder PDC cables in front bumper to add an extension cable.
PDC holders on new bumpers were glued with 3M adhesive in addition to existing sticky tape, so should be good forever now.
To simplify this task, I purchased a set of new PDC holders (front and rear - different PNs!) from BMW.
I have a few more detailed pix if interested.

So, yes, the LCI PDC sensors CAN be installed into non-PDC Mtech bodykit bumpers and you save about $1200 USD in a process. It think this is enough search tags for this post

The front bumper rebar was challenging since I have 3 ACC sensors attached to it (1 visible and 2 hidden under the bumper cover).
If I did not have those, we could have left an existing rebar in place, transfer 4 plastic mounting brackets for a new cover to an existing rebar (which are attached with rivets), and simply swap bumper covers.
The parts for a front air dam did not fit without cutting about 5 inches long off of a driver side vertical plastic piece which goes right behind kidney grill and runs down to the tranny cooler and sits in front of intercooler. The lower part had to be trimmed to allow for proper air flow.
My guess is that the kit was designed for non-turbo engines (pre-LCI) so BMW did not make appropriate air dam parts for N54 engine adaptation.

I got a bunch of plastic parts left overs (bumper holders, air dams for diff engines etc) and cables we never got to use.
You can guess my next project now
I need bigger wheels for this bad boy, so please let me know when you have some for sale in 18" (246 style) and 19" (128 style X3 fitment) and other cool looking wheels.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:40 AM
Members

My Ride: 08 535xiT - Sapphire Black / Beige

Looks great Vash. Nice that someone finally took the plunge on going non-PDC.

Quick Reply: Bodykit for an '08 E61 (LCI)