E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

BMW of Peabody = No more loaner cars for people that didn't buy th

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 12:12 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been going to Peabody BMW in MA for service since 2003. For some reason they decided to change their policy of no loaner cars for customers that didn't buy their cars from them. Guess they don't need my business... It's not like their business is in the middle of a city with public transportation either. I would go out of my way to do business with them instead of going to a closer BMW dealership.

:thumbsdown:
Old 01-03-2011, 12:38 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xiT: CPO purchase in 2008, used by a BMW exec previously, and like-new when I got it. Compared to my other cars, at first I thought it felt heavy and steering was too heavy. Now, I really enjoy driving it in town and on the freeway. On my

did you write the president of the dealership and explain your position? I would be very civilized and non-threatening and ask for an exception in light of your extended loyalty. If you don't ask, you'll never get ... Good luck!
Old 01-04-2011, 07:01 AM
New Members

Hello Raddray & YeeWiz~

I am the General Sales Manager at BMW of Peabody and just wanted to explain our position and reasons for the policy. I love and appreciate when these discussions take place in forums, as it gives an opportunity for open discussion in ways we don't see often. We designated our 80 car loaner fleet as a benefit and a reward for our sales customers, as the sales department pays the majority of the expense of carrying such a large fleet of loaner cars. Due to the size of our two service departments, we were getting negative feedback from our sales customers that were not able to secure loaner cars when they needed service. We decided that as a free service we provide, it was our duty to make sure they are available to customers that bought their vehicles from our dealership and reward the relationship we've fostered in the sales department.

Although I can certainly see how this would be recieved as negative news to someone who purchased elsewhere, we hope in the long run to foster a positive relationship with our customers, both in sales and service. I appreciate and value the opportunity to have such a discussion and would welcome to hear how our policy has effected you and your relationship with us.

If this wasn't properly explained in your last visit with us, we also provide a shuttle service to both local malls, train station and local restuarants. In the event that personal transportation is needed, we extend our discounted rates at Avis to customers that are in need of a vehicle while their car is in for service. I hope this information is helpful.

Thank you for the conversation and your business,
Vin McCauley
General Sales Manager
BMW of Peabody
Old 01-13-2011, 05:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 06' 530xi E61 Saphire Black / Dakota Black - aluminum 11' A4 Avant 2.0T Brilliant Black / Black - aluminum

Hello,

I just read your response in regards to your position for your loaner car policy. I would like to share my opinion in regards to this policy. I believe you are missing on the opportunity to take advantage of a client that chooses to service their car there as eventually this client will need to change cars and most likely will be compelled to buy a new car or used car from your dealership as opposed to any other dealer.

Also correct me if I'm wrong, but does a dealership not make more money of the service department versus the sales one? I believe you are missing the long term profitability of your service client.

Purchasing a vehicle may be a one time event with some clients where as a returning service clients means he chooses to return time and time again based on good work and service provided. I believe you should capitalize on this opportunity as opposed to loosing their business.

My family and I have purchased 4 cars from the same dealership since December 2007, what makes me go back and visit my dealership and the show room floor is when we service our cars. When my dealership gave me a hard time about my HPFP issues my friend offered me to go to his dealership instead and they provided me a quick appointment and a courtesy car no question asked. Lets just say that my car has not been back to my previous dealership since!
Old 01-13-2011, 06:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Providing courtesy cars go a long way for client services. Personally, I would not go to any dealer for service if a loaner is provided. Also, who would want to drive a rental from Avis? I understand the number of loaners might be limited, you just have to do a better job of managing it in order to accommodate all the requests. That means if you only have 80 cars to loan out, then only take 80 appts with such request and schedule the rest to other dates. And if other dealers are able to do it, I don't see the reason why you cannot.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:59 PM
Members

Seriously, I thought these types of policies died off in the 90's.

No free car wash after a servicing unless you bought it from us
No priority appointment scheduling for servicing unless you bought it from us

Service & Parts represents such an enormous part of a dealership's revenue each year, it's odd they don't do everything they can to make it world-class. The local BMW dealership I go to has a massive fleet of loaner cars ranging from a 1-Series convertible to 4-wheel drive 5-Series cars. I've gotten loaner cars even for last minute, no appointment situations. And, I've both purchased cars from them and from other dealerships to service there. It's never been an issue.

The Lexus dealership is the same. They've never asked or cared where I bought the car. They even ensure that I get the same car model I pulled up in. RX for RX, LS for LS.

About the only dealership I do business with which doesn't offer loaners is the Porsche dealer. Perhaps for obvious reasons. They do however, put me into a free rental car each time. Again, this is a dealership where I've never purchased a Porsche from.

I point these examples out because - unless you're running a Kia dealership - this is the norm.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:16 PM
Members

Originally Posted by BMWPeabody
Hello Raddray & YeeWiz~

I am the General Sales Manager at BMW of Peabody and just wanted to explain our position and reasons for the policy. I love and appreciate when these discussions take place in forums, as it gives an opportunity for open discussion in ways we don't see often. We designated our 80 car loaner fleet as a benefit and a reward for our sales customers, as the sales department pays the majority of the expense of carrying such a large fleet of loaner cars. Due to the size of our two service departments, we were getting negative feedback from our sales customers that were not able to secure loaner cars when they needed service. We decided that as a free service we provide, it was our duty to make sure they are available to customers that bought their vehicles from our dealership and reward the relationship we've fostered in the sales department.

Although I can certainly see how this would be recieved as negative news to someone who purchased elsewhere, we hope in the long run to foster a positive relationship with our customers, both in sales and service. I appreciate and value the opportunity to have such a discussion and would welcome to hear how our policy has effected you and your relationship with us.

If this wasn't properly explained in your last visit with us, we also provide a shuttle service to both local malls, train station and local restuarants. In the event that personal transportation is needed, we extend our discounted rates at Avis to customers that are in need of a vehicle while their car is in for service. I hope this information is helpful.

Thank you for the conversation and your business,
Vin McCauley
General Sales Manager
BMW of Peabody
Vin,

Thank you for explaining your new loaner policy. Over the past 8 years of owning BMW's I've scattered my services around to the different BMW dealerships in the Boston area and ended up going to Peabody for most of the services in the past few years. Fortunately for me, there are many BMW dealerships in the area that want my business. Both Herb Chambers and Gallery BMW offered me a loaner car. But as with your service department, both of them had a long wait for an available loaner. Gallery explained that their loaners were booked for a couple of weeks but offered me a FREE Enterprise rental that same afternoon I called in to schedule the service appointment. I dropped the car off that evening and got the car back the next day. They completed the 3 open recalls on the car that was causing cold start engine misfire and finally fixed the leaking windshield wiper fluid tank by replacing a pump that your service department could not find. It's so nice not seeing the low wiper fluid light going off every few days.

As stated earlier, there are other dealerships that want my business, so this isn't an issue for me anymore. Still love driving my BMW... well, at least until the spring when I can drive my 911. Oh, my Porsche dealer(in CT) that I purchased my 911 didn't offer me a Porsche loaner car either.. but they dropped off an Audi when they picked up my 911.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:48 AM
Members

raddray,

I definitely understand your position on this and am surprised BMW of Peabody is being so shortsighted regarding fostering customer relations. I was also a past BMW of Peabody customer when I lived in MA and owned a BMW. I left the BMW fold for a while, and since moved to NH.

Recently, I bought a CPO BMW out of state and the "free loaner" was #1 on my priorities list when choosing a local NH dealer. BMW of Stratham has a similar policy regarding loaners, but takes a "soft" approach and welcomed me into the dealership as if I was a previous sales customer when I told them my situation. Since going there, I've been in twice for warranty work. The service dept was so good that I brought my wife's non-BMW SUV there to do winter wheels & alignment. All times I was either provided a BMW loaner, or if not available an Enterprise rental on the house.

BMW of Stratham will continue to get my business and referrals, while places with policies like BMW of Peabody will not. In times like this, I am still amazed at the shortsightedness of some dealerships. Good luck!
Old 01-27-2011, 06:01 AM
Members

Radray,
Tully BMW in Nashua is great, no problem getting an appointment quickly and they are very accomodating on free loaners and free enterprise rentals when they're out of stock.

Not to change subjects here too much, but has anyone in the Boston area been to Auto Engineering in Lexington for work? I've heard good things, but always looking for more opinions.

Thx.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:43 PM
Members

Quick update: I purchased a new Mazda 3 about a year ago. It's a nice third car. Anyhow, had to take it into service on Saturday for the first time and free loaner vehicle! No muss, no fuss. I did not purchase the Mazda from this dealership but they had no problem setting me up in another Mazda 3 as a loaner vehicle.

So basically, the Mazda dealership has better service than BMW of Peabody.

I also noticed the dealership hasn't bothered to respond after being pummeled by the reality of what's happening in other dealerships.

Quick Reply: BMW of Peabody = No more loaner cars for people that didn't buy th