E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

BMW E61, HOW TO REMOVE ROOF RAILS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 06:14 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E61 530d 2005 M sport, individual, shadow line

Hello,

I am fairly new to the forums.
Have a simple topic/ question.
How to remove the roof rails?
I did it easily on other make cars i owned previously, and it was pretty easy, but with this one cannot see where to start form.

Thank you in advance
Old 09-16-2010, 10:01 PM
Senior Members

I have read somewhere in the forum that it is pretty difficult, because you have to remove your complete rooflining first.

This is why not many people are doing this. So you have to want them away pretty badly

But still, a few have done it and if you run a search here in the forum, I am sure you will find more info.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Yep, you need to remove the ceiling, unscrew the roof rail and then replace the plastic liner with a new, designed for cars without roof rails. A lot of work, I'm afraid - I was one of them who opted out due to all the hassle.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:21 AM
Members

Thanks guy's...
why does all you want badly, comes so difficult? i got the panorama roof, i think it makes even more work?

Narvselius, so how much work? Can i do it myself? (did you take any pictures?) Or you need second pare of hands? Do you know how much the plastic liner would cost?

i want it badly, i think will do it next summer, + would like to tint the windows, in NL only 30% allowed, except the drivers and passengers (front) of course, still worth it, and dying for M package!
Old 09-17-2010, 05:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 BMW 530i E61, alpine white, cream-beige interior, sports-auto-transmission and a lot more-

indeed, the most difficult thing is to remove the ceiling, because you need space to work and the ceiling is difficult to put out of the car.
If you have the Panorama sunroof it will be a much greater work,because after removing the rails you need to reattach the ceiling with the movable panorama cover.
Great PITA anyway!!

Now I know why I didn't order this thing
Old 09-17-2010, 01:08 PM
Members

Well, after all of these encouragements , i will put my thougts together and get it done, this project for summer thow...
it would be nice if someone could upload some pictures, where to start from and the tips and suggestions..
Nice pictures Ivano, by the way. I will upload mine later on, just to share and to show that my rail got to go!
Old 09-18-2010, 08:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Originally Posted by bmWay
Narvselius, so how much work? Can i do it myself? (did you take any pictures?) Or you need second pare of hands? Do you know how much the plastic liner would cost?
My dealer told me it was a 2-3 hours work - and they are supposed to be professional so add a couple of more hours to that. The plastic liner comes at ca 200 Euros plus painting.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:42 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Member Hellraiser did this mod on his E61 535d. I suggest you contact him to see if he can give some more specific advise on how he did it. If you use the search function at the top of the page and enter roofrails / remove roofrails, you may find some other info in here.

I was quoted around 400 EUR to have this done by BMW (on my previous E61), which reflects the 2-3 hours Narvselius mentioned above.

Good luck!
Old 09-19-2010, 06:08 AM
Members

Thaks to all of you guy's! I am up for a job myslef DIY my cup of tea. Apreciate your suggestion xBMWx, will cotact the person you reffering to, would be a easier start for me...
Old 09-19-2010, 11:52 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by bmWay
Thaks to all of you guy's! I am up for a job myslef DIY my cup of tea. Apreciate your suggestion xBMWx, will cotact the person you reffering to, would be a easier start for me...
To help you along, here are the two post from Hellraiser where he gives information about doing the mod. Not a great deal of detail, but some basic info about what is involved. You may still want to contact him to find out if there are any lessons learnt / tricks he found out when doing the mod.

https://5series.net/forums/topic/354...ng-roof-rails/

https://5series.net/forums/topic/530...cia-integrale/

It would be most beneficial and much appreciated if you could take some pics of the mod whilst doing it and also give an overview of the DIY, so other members could benefit from it in the future.

Good luck

Quick Reply: BMW E61, HOW TO REMOVE ROOF RAILS?