E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Anyone Else Do This Today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 05:10 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xiT, 1964 MBZ 220SEb Coupe, 1986 MBZ 300E and a 1997 Jeep Cherokee as my cottage car. Previous rides started with a 1947 Studebaker Commander convertible and included numerous Fords, VWs, MBZs, Saabs and, for added measure, a '61 Buick Special Wagon and Pontiac GTO.

As I do most days of the week, I went to town today to pick up the papers and whatever we needed for another day at the cottage. Because we were planning an afternoon fishing trip to stalk the wily walleye pike, I picked up four dozen "fat head" minnows at the local bait store. As usual, I place the bucket in the front floor well and pointed our 2007 XiT towards home, the trip consisting a stretch of highway and then some paved and unpaved back roads. While on the highway and at the very last moment (and forgetting the bait bucket), I decided to make a quick exit to go down a side road to check on a pair of loons who I heard had taken up residence on a nearby small lake (I help monitor loons). That great BMW suspension made the bit too fast turn a snap but it did nothing to keep the bucket upright and a couple gallons of water and a bunch of little fish turned the foot well into an aquarium. I sloshed some of the water back into the bucket and picked up the minnows, removed the rubber floor mats and used the towels I always carry in the car to soak up as much of the water as I could. The little lake provided more water for the bait and a quick look at the loons and then it was back to the cottage. After some additional use of towels and an extended stint with a hair dryer (and the discovery of a few lost fatheads), the carpeting looks and smells as good as new.
p.s.
The walleyes were hungry and we kept just enough for a good old Midwest fish fry.
Al T.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 535xi
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Al T.' post='591947' date='May 30 2008, 08:10 PM
As I do most days of the week, I went to town today to pick up the papers and whatever we needed for another day at the cottage. Because we were planning an afternoon fishing trip to stalk the wily walleye pike, I picked up four dozen "fat head" minnows at the local bait store. As usual, I place the bucket in the front floor well and pointed our 2007 XiT towards home, the trip consisting a stretch of highway and then some paved and unpaved back roads. While on the highway and at the very last moment (and forgetting the bait bucket), I decided to make a quick exit to go down a side road to check on a pair of loons who I heard had taken up residence on a nearby small lake (I help monitor loons). That great BMW suspension made the bit too fast turn a snap but it did nothing to keep the bucket upright and a couple gallons of water and a bunch of little fish turned the foot well into an aquarium. I sloshed some of the water back into the bucket and picked up the minnows, removed the rubber floor mats and used the towels I always carry in the car to soak up as much of the water as I could. The little lake provided more water for the bait and a quick look at the loons and then it was back to the cottage. After some additional use of towels and an extended stint with a hair dryer (and the discovery of a few lost fatheads), the carpeting looks and smells as good as new.
p.s.
The walleyes were hungry and we kept just enough for a good old Midwest fish fry.
Al T.
Thanks for the entertaining post. I knew there were at least two universal truths I'd see on this great forum: 1. drop everything- even go-carts and 2. a loon-monitor will write an entertaing post... Hehe.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Some days I feel like a loon monitor myself, but it's strictly the kids (nutty ones at that!).
Old 06-05-2008, 12:05 AM
Members

lol.....no - but I remember my mom did that exact thing with milk in her VW beetle in 1977......

We used to get fresh un-pasteurised milk from the local village milk collection point.

The farmer would empty the still-warm-from-the-cow milk into a weighing scale and we'd get 3 litres straight from there into a closable plastic bucket.

The bucket went into a plastic bag.

The plastic bag handles got slung around the gear shifter, the bucket resting on the floor.

One time the plastic bag broke and we had a sea of milk in the footwell.

For a long time that car stank of sour milk !!!

But boy that fresh milk was good.....
Old 06-05-2008, 04:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 E61 M5, 1989 Z1

Originally Posted by the missile' post='595998' date='Jun 5 2008, 09:05 AM
lol.....no - but I remember my mom did that exact thing with milk in her VW beetle in 1977......

We used to get fresh un-pasteurised milk from the local village milk collection point.

The farmer would empty the still-warm-from-the-cow milk into a weighing scale and we'd get 3 litres straight from there into a closable plastic bucket.

The bucket went into a plastic bag.

The plastic bag handles got slung around the gear shifter, the bucket resting on the floor.

One time the plastic bag broke and we had a sea of milk in the footwell.

For a long time that car stank of sour milk !!!

But boy that fresh milk was good.....
Thanks for that post; it brought a smile to my face... I grew up as one of five boys and my father went to a farmer once a week to bring home what must have been 7-10 gallons of fresh milk which my mother would then pasteurize (the pasteurizer was made by Sears back in the days when if you couldn't get it from Sears you probably didn't need it). After the milk cooled it went into the fridge and before each pail was used the cream was skimmed off to make fresh butter. And that 1960 beetle stank of sour milk!
Old 06-06-2008, 03:08 AM
Members

Originally Posted by phelix' post='596062' date='Jun 5 2008, 01:43 PM
Thanks for that post; it brought a smile to my face... I grew up as one of five boys and my father went to a farmer once a week to bring home what must have been 7-10 gallons of fresh milk which my mother would then pasteurize (the pasteurizer was made by Sears back in the days when if you couldn't get it from Sears you probably didn't need it). After the milk cooled it went into the fridge and before each pail was used the cream was skimmed off to make fresh butter. And that 1960 beetle stank of sour milk!
ah....yes....I forgot about the cream - about an inch thick floating on top of the milk mmmmm mmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmm....
I am sure I am paying for it now 30 years later though !