E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Another Project Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 12:18 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xI Wagon
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by ucsbwsr
X delete is working as advertised. Steering feels less interrupted without feedback from front drivetrain.
that's god to hear. i will be getting it soon then.

A lot of the M5 parts I am finding through local part outs or eBay.
ok. that's what i have been doing to get all my RWD conversion bits, mostly eBay.
if you see an inner M5 door pull with the padding on it, grey in color, let me know. i don't know if M5's even came with grey interior.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:25 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: E61 with all the mods

Originally Posted by Zero Cool
ok. that's what i have been doing to get all my RWD conversion bits, mostly eBay.
if you see an inner M5 door pull with the padding on it, grey in color, let me know. i don't know if M5's even came with grey interior.
I have never seen any colored M5 door handles, only black. You can confirm this, along with all other parts on RealOEM.com
Old 04-01-2019, 07:38 AM
Members
Senior Members

Time to upgrade the brakes

M5 brakes + RWD hubs assemblies

Rotor comparison (rears)

Dust shields get the boot to aid cooling

You will need an M5 specific rotor bolt. 535xi left, M5 right

You can sneeze and the fronts will install themselves, I wish I could say the same for the rears....

Annie knows...

For whatever reason these axles are a real paint to remove. On my white wagon both rears required penetrating oil, a 12 ton hydraulic puller, and some "love taps" with a 10 lb sledge hammer. I got the right rear to release with this method and when I say release I mean an ultra violent *BANG*. The left rear was not as cooperative.

I played around with some heat, got it up to about 300F (which I know isn't that hot) and then decided to let the professional handle it.

I removed the spindle and took it to a local BMW indy, unfortunately they didn't find any success with their 20 ton press and lots of oil. Took it to another custom fabricator who was able to get a saw between the bearing and spindle to cut the axle tip in 1/2. Fine by me since all I cared about was the spindle.

While the axle was making it's rounds at the shops I took the opportunity to execute some other upgrades and maintenance.
Replaced passenger engine mount

Flushed TC fluid

Replaced TC mount

New CSB

In the spirit of a clean OEM+ build the Vossens will be retired for some style 167 (M6) wheels which are coming off my E39, E39 has a set of M Parallels which are being refinished.

Personally I think these wheels look great on the E6X chassis, heck I think they look great on pretty much everything

As a bonus we will be saving about 10lbs each corner or unsprung and rotational mass!

Old 04-01-2019, 07:39 AM
Members
Senior Members

For fun I threw the Vossens on the E39, excuse how horrendously filthy it is.

HHHNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!! Looks perfect but would rub like crazy

New control arms, upper guide arms, and (not pictured) ball joints

M5 integral links

Used my laser level to help with the control arm positioning.

Here is the difference between AWD and RWD hubs

Cleaned up the spindles a bit

Cleaned all threads and mounting surfaces before assembly, fresh locktite

Original ball joints coming out

Surface prepped prior to install

New ball joints and M5 links installed

One axle died in the m5 brake upgrade and the other had ~130k on it. Luckily I had an extra set of axles with about 70k on them.

Bleeding brakes

I need to adjust the parking brake and rebleed the brakes but here is how she currently sits

Old 04-01-2019, 08:10 AM
Members
Senior Members

Garage Dog ready for some wrenching and sniffing

Cleaned and installed black seat backs, this completes the custom 2 tone interior!

Looking sharp!

On my white E61 I needed a RWD specific driver side engine mount so I transferred this mount over to the grey wagon, it only has a few hundred miles on it so it now both engine mounts are essentially new, the old ones were past their prime.

For the life of me I couldn't find one of the parking brake springs when reassembling everything after the M5 brake upgrade (the long one on left) so I was forded to buy the repair kit.

With the spring installed and parking brakes adjusted (stupid process, can't believe it isn't easier) it was time to re-bleed the brakes. BMW Dot 4 fluid, Motiv bleeder, the juggernaut Schumacher battery charger, and INPA software which bleeds the DSC pump as well.

Buttoned up, engine bay is very stock but very clean

The Grigio Telesto hides dirt incredibly well, better than any color I have seen, with all the wrenching on the wagons a wash was long over due, this was the 2nd time I have washed it in my ownership. lol

Got all the wagons together for a quick family photo

Old 04-10-2019, 05:42 AM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: 535xiT
Model Year: 2010

Had to register just to say how awesome your wagons are.

Really enjoying the build!
Old 05-13-2019, 05:48 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 e61 fbo m5 replica front and rear staggered 19’ vmr wheels

Any chance youve got a sound clip of exhaust? Love the sound of white car but dont want to spend that much on a 9 year old car. Also could you show a pic of muffler delete and which tips you used
Old 05-21-2019, 06:20 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Azar
Had to register just to say how awesome your wagons are.

Really enjoying the build!
Thanks, happy to hear it!

Originally Posted by Robsco
Any chance youve got a sound clip of exhaust? Love the sound of white car but dont want to spend that much on a 9 year old car. Also could you show a pic of muffler delete and which tips you used
I will get some sound clips a little later. I have been very happy with the muffler delete on this wagon, sounds better that it did on my white one for whatever reason. The tip is a Vibrant 1333 and the piping is just your standard crush bent piping via a muffler shop.

----------------------------------------------------------

An overdue update but a lot of progress has been made. Really happy with how it's coming together.

Here are a couple pics showing the interior.

Inspecting the rear glass release button which doesn't actuate, hopefully it's only the button and not the wiring harness, no other tailgate related issues.

1 dog 3 wagons

The E39 got it's Style 37s which means the Style 167s are ready to go on Das Grau

Style 167 + E60 M5 brakes = WIN

Straightened the window trim which was bent by a careless body shop during disassembly, not perfect but much better.

Personalized plates arrived.

Rear bump stops needed replacing

Cleaned up the rear struts too

Windshield cowl was in rough shape so I installed the lightly used cowl from my white E61 (the white one got a new cowl

Old 05-21-2019, 06:22 AM
Members
Senior Members

Pano roof had some issues, there was water ingress that warped one of the partitions and damaged the track, there were also some parts missing so instead of going down the deep rabbit hole of repairing the unit I simply replaced it. Thankfully I was able to find a local dismantler who had the cassette with the grey interior panels I needed.
Headliner and cassette removed.

New OEM weather stripping

Big difference

With the old stripping removed there was a nice amount of residual foam and adhesive to remove. Preferred technique: heat gun and a strong thumb.

All clean, you can see the OEM paint

Installing the new strippig was easy since the cassette was out but very tedious since if it wasn't installed just right you would be able to see the OEM paint at the seam which is a no-no, this made the install pretty challenging but the results are great.

Amateur hack: You can use the electric seats to hold and move the pano roof (headliner also) into position during install. This made the install reasonably easy considering I was doing it solo.

San Diego coming through with some timely rain for testing purposes! This thing operates as it should, no longer rattles from broken/missing pieces, and has hardly any wind noise!

Looking good

Old 06-09-2019, 02:21 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW E90 335xi (soon to be E61)

Beautiful and detailed build log! Because of this, I am looking to replace my E90 335xi with an E61 535xi.

Quick Reply: Another Project Wagon