E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Another Project Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 07:29 PM
New Members

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535xi Touring 6MT, 2001 325i 5MT
Engine: N54, M54

Do you know how far apart the feet are on that engine support bar? I just picked one up for a good deal but then was concerned that it isn't wide enough, but it looks quite similar to yours in the photo. The feet on mine are 57" apart.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:12 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xI Wagon
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by ucsbwsr

Decided to give the XHP X-Delete a shot. It allows you switch between AWD and RWD, the flash takes about 90 seconds.
please update us on this ASAP. i am extremely interested in this. when i do my RWD conversion, i won't be doing the transmission right away, and need an easier way to code out the AWD stuff. this should also allow me to run the stock ABS module and pump. one less thing to swap.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:57 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: E61 with all the mods

Originally Posted by kd7iwp
I’m very curious about your XHD x delete. I’m not interested in it personally but want to hear from others how it feels on an E60.
Originally Posted by kd7iwp
Do you know how far apart the feet are on that engine support bar? I just picked one up for a good deal but then was concerned that it isn't wide enough, but it looks quite similar to yours in the photo. The feet on mine are 57" apart.
My engine support is from Harbor freight, the website states it's 59" long but the feet sit a bit inward so it's probably identical to yours. If you already have the support why not try it out?
Originally Posted by Zero Cool
please update us on this ASAP. i am extremely interested in this. when i do my RWD conversion, i won't be doing the transmission right away, and need an easier way to code out the AWD stuff. this should also allow me to run the stock ABS module and pump. one less thing to swap.
It's a nice solution for switching between AWD and RWD. The steering feels a bit more direct, a bit lighter but with less distortion from the AWD, it's more pure I suppose. Other than that I don't have much feedback but it's a positive switch if you don't need AWD at that point in time. I can't comment on fuel efficiency since I have some fuel mixture/ O2 / ignition gremlins which need to be resolved before max MPG is realized.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:59 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 E91

Looking amazing! Quick clarification - regarding removing the front driveshaft, do you plan to put it back? Are you just testing the XHP RWD flash?
Old 03-05-2019, 11:11 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by triax37
Looking amazing! Quick clarification - regarding removing the front driveshaft, do you plan to put it back? Are you just testing the XHP RWD flash?
Yea, I will put it back before I sell the wagon (or I need AWD for some reason).
Old 03-06-2019, 07:57 AM
Members
Senior Members

With the front subframe lowered to access the o2 sensor in the downpipes I noticed the engine mounts are a bit tired. I replaced the passenger side mount. When my white E61 gets it's fresh new RWD subframe (waiting for KWs to arrive from Germany) I will swap the complete subframe over to this grey wagon. The subframe from the white wagon is in much better condition with low mileage mounts, control arms, etc.

Snagged 2 sets of E60 M5 calipers and a set of M Parallels (for my E39 Touring)

M5 brake conversion kit for a 535xi: rotors, calipers, and rear hubs

Rotors and pads came off the same very low mileage car and the calipers were cleaned and inspected, everything looks good.

Size comparison of the rear rotors

Stock fronts

As a Southern California car with brake cooling ducts and large rotors these brake shields make zero sense so they (and all other shields) were removed.

You will need M5 specific rotor bolts for the fronts. I can confirm with years of use that M5 rotors will work on non-M front hubs but the M5 hubs to have 2 threaded eyelets for screws and also a studs to help keep the rotors centered, FYI.
Stock Left M5 Right

Fronts mounted

Annie nervous knowing how stubborn these rear axles/hubs can be.

Penetrating oil, 12 ton hydraulic puller, and a sledge to tap the hub. It's the recipe that worked for me when doing the rears on my white E61 and this got the right rear to release.

The left rear was much more stubborn. I used a torch to heat the hub up to about 400F to no avail. At this point my tools are a bit maxed out and the axles threads are damaged from the puller so I will remove the knuckle and have a local shop finish the deed.

I took a brake from the .....brakes.. LOL!!! and finished the front door panels.
Here are the donor panels I snagged off eBay.

Pretty good condition overall with some typical wear on the driver door handle

On my grey inserts you can see the top of the leather has been released like it came unglued.

Under further inspection it looks like this was a factory slip-up with not enough lather for the panel. The grey leather is about 10mm too short in contrast to the brown which full wraps around.

Driver door complete. Individual "Dirac" speaker grill showing off the upgraded DSP woofer and M5 door handle with padded leather is a nice touch to compliment the Nappa leather M sport steering wheel, and SAT gear selector. Nice surfaces to touch!

With the exception of black seat backs the custom OEM+ interior is complete. Very happy with how it came out.

Old 03-06-2019, 05:36 PM
New Members

My Ride: 530xiT
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Thanks for the update, looking nice!
I remember having to use a blow torch to get the calipers off an old Isuzu Tropper I had back in college. I didn’t have many tools but thankfully I had that torch.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:35 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jjhuth
Thanks for the update, looking nice!
I remember having to use a blow torch to get the calipers off an old Isuzu Tropper I had back in college. I didn’t have many tools but thankfully I had that torch.
Yea, I threw in the towel and removed the wheel carriers with hubs and axles attached, took them to a local BMW indy shop to help pop the axles out. Funny thing is this shop works closely with another wagon enthusiast in my neighborhood who did an LS swap in an E46 M3, built an E46 M3 Touring, and an E39 M5 Touring and through the circle of wagonness were familiar with my wagons. Small world. It was nice to touch base with the shop and meet the guys as they all seemed cool, will definitely keep them in mind for situations where I need assistance.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:34 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 535xI Wagon

are you finding all those M5 bits in local junk yards?
if so, i am so jealous. there has been two E60 in the local yards here in my city. and they get picked clean quick. of course they aren't M5's either.

any more feedback on the xdelete software? have you had any issues with it?
Old 03-07-2019, 09:47 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Zero Cool
are you finding all those M5 bits in local junk yards?
if so, i am so jealous. there has been two E60 in the local yards here in my city. and they get picked clean quick. of course they aren't M5's either.

any more feedback on the xdelete software? have you had any issues with it?
X delete is working as advertised. Steering feels less interrupted without feedback from front drivetrain.

A lot of the M5 parts I am finding through local part outs or eBay.

Quick Reply: Another Project Wagon