E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Advanced Air Con

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 10:59 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: e39 525i Touring, will order e61 as soon as I can decide on engine and options...

Hi,
there are actually two questions here a) is it woth the money b) is it better. On a) it's really up to you I guess but on b) the answer is yes without a doubt.

From a climate control point of view but also feature-wise, the advanced air con is much more....advanced. The humidity sensor is state of the art, so is the solar sensor. The convenience of split left/right temp control is debatable but overall climate and humidity control is much better in the advanced system.

A good way to judge a climate control system is by how many times during the year you need to interact with it. The ideal situation is "never". Just put it on desired temperature and drive.

Also, the short stop heater is really convenient during winter time.

The advanced system should really be standard on this class of car but is a good way for BMW to charge extra money.

/M

Originally Posted by Allymunro' post='267889' date='Apr 12 2006, 12:25 AM
In the UK E60 & E61 comes with standard auto air con. Is it worth the extra ?605 to go with Advanced air con. Is it that superior?
Old 06-23-2006, 11:41 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Heuer' post='288110' date='May 26 2006, 06:09 PM
Advanced air-con is much better if you do any long distance driving. You will feel much 'fresher' at the end of it.

That and the HUD are 'must haves' in my experience, certainly when it comes to trade-in time!
when you come to trade in you will be sick, they never offer you any more money for extras
Old 06-24-2006, 02:24 AM
Members

My Ride: SOON-TO-RIDE: 530d Havana/Oyster - Exclusive Plus pack... SOLD: 530d Touring - M Sport Package - Carbon Black - Amethyst Leather - Navigation - Riegel Ahorn Anthrazit inserts - Comfort access - Dark rear windows - Advanced Airco - Bluetooth - Adaptive Bi-Xenon - Storage pack - Light pack - Logic 7 ETA: early June SOLD: Mini Cooper S - Dark Gray /White - black leather - JCW 18" Rims - Sunroof - Chili Pack

Got my E61 since yesterday only, but when in full sunlight, I'm happy to have the advanced airco... really efficient at cooling the air rapidly... It all depends on how you support high temperatures... I'm not good at that in fact

The 2 zones are ideal for me and my wife as we have different needs in temperature (she needs 22 where I need 20)... guess you all encounter the same kind of "issue"
Old 06-28-2006, 11:50 AM
Contributors

Advanced air-con is much better if you do any long distance driving. You will feel much 'fresher' at the end of it.

That and the HUD are 'must haves' in my experience, certainly when it comes to trade-in time!
HUD improves residuals? I very much doubt it?
Old 06-29-2006, 08:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d sport, Silver Grey/grey/maple. 20" Hartge Nova 7. Previously 19" staggered 172s

I can't agree with that.

I am guessing that you have advanced (which is good) and you have never actually tried the standard (which in basic function appears to be equally good, it just has less toys and plastic looking knobs).
Old 06-29-2006, 12:54 PM
Members

My Ride: e39 525i Touring, will order e61 as soon as I can decide on engine and options...

The basic function is actually quite a lot worse, since the standard aircon is missing AUC and will feed polluting gasses and particles into the cabin without using automatic recirc to keep them out.

You notice this phenomenon directly when you drive a car without AUC sensors if you are used to driving one which has the functionality.

To my mind it's a bit crappy that BMW offers the 5 with standard aircon but I guess it's a way of making extra money.

/M

Originally Posted by blingo' post='305119' date='Jun 29 2006, 06:13 PM
I can't agree with that.

I am guessing that you have advanced (which is good) and you have never actually tried the standard (which in basic function appears to be equally good, it just has less toys and plastic looking knobs).
Old 06-29-2006, 02:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Hey tegel,

What do you know?

You have not even seen your new car yet!?

"Future: Delivery end of July -06: e61 520d Touring"

:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
Old 06-30-2006, 12:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d sport, Silver Grey/grey/maple. 20" Hartge Nova 7. Previously 19" staggered 172s

Originally Posted by tegel' post='305193' date='Jun 29 2006, 09:54 PM
The basic function is actually quite a lot worse, since the standard aircon is missing AUC and will feed polluting gasses and particles into the cabin without using automatic recirc to keep them out.

You notice this phenomenon directly when you drive a car without AUC sensors if you are used to driving one which has the functionality.

To my mind it's a bit crappy that BMW offers the 5 with standard aircon but I guess it's a way of making extra money.

/M
I agree it should be standard for the money, if only for the better appearance.

If you can tell the difference between 'AUC' and none tegel, you are far more 'sensitive' than me (or perhaps you are judging from the brochure?). For me this is only one of the 'toys'.

I find it quite hard to read the numbers on the temperature knobs (advanced version) from the angle of the drivers seat, does anyone else find this?
Old 06-30-2006, 12:33 AM
Members

Well, I did not want to offend anyone. AUC is not a unique feature for BMW, it is used by most car manufacturers in their top range systems.

I happen to work at a large OEM with climate comfort development and that's why I have an opinion in the matter.

And my opinion is, as previously stated, that AUC (or AQS as some call it) very much enhances the environment in the car and the wellness of the driver and passengers.

That is why I ordered it in my car and I currently have it in my e39.

But again, this should be standard on the 5.

/M

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='305263' date='Jun 30 2006, 12:54 AM
Hey tegel,

What do you know?

You have not even seen your new car yet!?

"Future: Delivery end of July -06: e61 520d Touring"

:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
Old 06-30-2006, 12:49 AM
Members

Well, either I am sensitive or you live in a very non-polluted area! For people like me, living in cities, driving behind city buses and highway diesel trucks, AUC makes a big difference. Also, I have been driving long distances in rental cars without AUC/AQS and with less efficient air filters than in the BMW e39/e60 and this is really a bad experience; running nose, irritated throat, dry eyes, etc etc after a few hours behind the wheel.

Sorry that everything I wrote was interpretated as if it was B/S. That was not my intention.

I agree about the numbers, bad HMI design IMHO.

/M

Originally Posted by blingo' post='305399' date='Jun 30 2006, 10:26 AM
I agree it should be standard for the money, if only for the better appearance.

If you can tell the difference between 'AUC' and none tegel, you are far more 'sensitive' than me (or perhaps you are judging from the brochure?). For me this is only one of the 'toys'.

I find it quite hard to read the numbers on the temperature knobs (advanced version) from the angle of the drivers seat, does anyone else find this?

Quick Reply: Advanced Air Con