E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Advanced Air Con

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 02:25 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525i M Sport Touring (E61): Mystic Blue with Beige Leather and Light Poplar Wood Trim | M Sport Package: Anthracite Headlining, Dechroming, 18" M Spoke Alloy Wheels (135) & RFT's, M Sport Steering Wheel, Sports Seats, M Door Entry Sill Trims, M Sport Suspension Settings, M Aero Bodykit I | Pro NAV | Bluetooth Prep | Xenons | Adapative Headlights | Headlight Washers | HUD | PDC | Automatic Air Con - Advanced | Automatic Tailgate Operation | Heated Front Seats | Sun Protection Glass | Non-Smoker Package |

In the UK E60 & E61 comes with standard auto air con. Is it worth the extra ?605 to go with Advanced air con. Is it that superior?
Old 04-11-2006, 02:51 PM
Members

My Ride: E61 525i SE Touring Automatic - Titanium Grey II, Auburn-Dakota Leather, 17" Light Alloy Wheels Star-Spoke Styling 138, Anthracite Headlining, Maple Wood, Electric Front Seats, Front Seat Heating, Automatic Air Conditioning Advanced, Navigation System Professional, Bluetooth phone prep, Professional radio, Hi-Fi Loudspeaker system, Park Distance Control, Rear Side Airbags, Side Blinds

Yes - I think the advanced aircon allows you to better control temperature.

That said in the UK you mights not have that much need or benefit.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:52 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Allymunro' post='267889' date='Apr 11 2006, 11:25 PM
In the UK E60 & E61 comes with standard auto air con. Is it worth the extra ?605 to go with Advanced air con. Is it that superior?
Some people swear by it. Personally I don't think it's worth ?605! Have a search within this forum - there's lots of info about the differences... (Most people think the standard one looks 'cheap') Mine seems to work just fine and looks ok to me!
Old 04-13-2006, 10:45 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 530D Sport E61

Originally Posted by Allymunro' post='267889' date='Apr 11 2006, 11:25 PM
I must confess I have the standard system and I am not that impressed but I suppose I was spoilt with the climate control I had on my last Grand Cherokee.

It standard system looks and feels cheep, the I-Drive interface seams pointless as it dosent seam to do much at all

The standard system dosent apear to be that efficient in cooling the car down after sitting out in the sun, but on the plus side it does apear to maintain the car at a constant temperature normally.

The big downside of the standard system is not having independant control for the passenger side. I really must remember to buy my wife thermal undies for her christmass.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d sport, Silver Grey/grey/maple. 20" Hartge Nova 7. Previously 19" staggered 172s

The biggest downside of the standard is the appearance, the 'advanced' style knobs look much more as though they belong.

Function wise the standard is fine. I never set the drivers and passengers setting differently anyway, and find the i-drive involvement tedious. I can think of loads of better ways to spend 600 quid.

If you have even the mildest interest in music, get the hi-fi speakers. This was the best tip I was given for less obvious options.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:10 PM
Members

My Ride: 525i M Sport Touring (E61): Mystic Blue with Beige Leather and Light Poplar Wood Trim | M Sport Package: Anthracite Headlining, Dechroming, 18" M Spoke Alloy Wheels (135) & RFT's, M Sport Steering Wheel, Sports Seats, M Door Entry Sill Trims, M Sport Suspension Settings, M Aero Bodykit I | Pro NAV | Bluetooth Prep | Xenons | Adapative Headlights | Headlight Washers | HUD | PDC | Automatic Air Con - Advanced | Automatic Tailgate Operation | Heated Front Seats | Sun Protection Glass | Non-Smoker Package |

Old 04-13-2006, 02:13 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Rossman_999' post='268657' date='Apr 13 2006, 07:45 PM
I must confess I have the standard system and I am not that impressed but I suppose I was spoilt with the climate control I had on my last Grand Cherokee.

It standard system looks and feels cheep, the I-Drive interface seams pointless as it dosent seam to do much at all

The standard system dosent apear to be that efficient in cooling the car down after sitting out in the sun, but on the plus side it does apear to maintain the car at a constant temperature normally.

The big downside of the standard system is not having independant control for the passenger side. I really must remember to buy my wife thermal undies for her christmass.
I know what your saying. It's my Grand Cherokee I'm trading in for this new Bimmer baby. The Grand Cherokee air con system is really good so I recognise what you mean.; looks like advanced air con then?
Old 04-14-2006, 08:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 530D Sport E61

Originally Posted by Allymunro' post='268753' date='Apr 13 2006, 11:13 PM
I know what your saying. It's my Grand Cherokee I'm trading in for this new Bimmer baby. The Grand Cherokee air con system is really good so I recognise what you mean.; looks like advanced air con then?
The system on the Grand was the buisness (I had the overland) and there is so many of the detail touches that the jeep had that the BMW is missing ie Folding mirrors and fully electric heated seats.

However I hope the BMW is more reliable and I can get parts when it needs them.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:35 AM
Members

My Ride: 530d Sport Touring, Titanium Silver, HiFi Loudspeaker system, Heated Front Seats, Tracker Retrieve, Media Package, Black Dakota Leather & Steptronic Transmission
Talking

Originally Posted by Rossman_999' post='268657' date='Apr 13 2006, 07:45 PM

Yes I would agree, the std aircon is ok for me even though it looks cheap. It does cool the car down quickly on a hot day so it works - better than the expensive looking climate control in my old A6!
I would rather go for the Hi Fi option it is great! and well worth it!
Old 05-26-2006, 09:09 AM
Members

Advanced air-con is much better if you do any long distance driving. You will feel much 'fresher' at the end of it.

That and the HUD are 'must haves' in my experience, certainly when it comes to trade-in time!

Quick Reply: Advanced Air Con