E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

530xi wagon: rear vibration when driving

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 06:51 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 530xi wagon: rear vibration when driving

I am new to this web community and found a lot of good information. Thanks for all the posting.
I have a 2006 530xi wagon, (actually bought it in May 2005), and it has 64k miles on it. Since the warranty expired, it has cost me dearly for several issues including rear wheel bearing, broken trunk latch, and leaking transmission sealing sleeve. Both my keys stopped working remotely 2 months ago, and I was told the diversity antenna was fried and needed to be replaced. Lately I sense some vibration from rear of the vehicle, and the vibration comes and goes, depending on the driving speed, but I have not figured out a pattern when it happens. I took the car to the shop and I was told that the vibration was caused by warped rear brake rotors. idrive indicates that there is 1000 miles to change the rear brake pad. I thought warped rotors would cause vibration when you apply brake, not when driving. Any thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated.

SZ
Old 12-03-2012, 12:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Originally Posted by wagon530xi
I am new to this web community and found a lot of good information. Thanks for all the posting.
I have a 2006 530xi wagon, (actually bought it in May 2005), and it has 64k miles on it. Since the warranty expired, it has cost me dearly for several issues including rear wheel bearing, broken trunk latch, and leaking transmission sealing sleeve. Both my keys stopped working remotely 2 months ago, and I was told the diversity antenna was fried and needed to be replaced. Lately I sense some vibration from rear of the vehicle, and the vibration comes and goes, depending on the driving speed, but I have not figured out a pattern when it happens. I took the car to the shop and I was told that the vibration was caused by warped rear brake rotors. idrive indicates that there is 1000 miles to change the rear brake pad. I thought warped rotors would cause vibration when you apply brake, not when driving. Any thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated.

SZ
Sorry, can't answer your question directly (I presume you've ruled out vibration from the wheels themselves - ie balancing?), but if there's only 1000 miles left, which means your brakes are practically gone, and you'd have to replace the rotors anyway, why not get it done and see? I don't think you change brake pads with these cars and leave rotors as is I was told (you can't machine these I was told).
Old 12-04-2012, 08:49 AM
Members

Default Radial belt separation

Had the same problem recently and had just about every possible cause checked out. It turned out that the radial belts on my right rear tire had separated. At first it was barely detectable but got progressively worse and really bad one day while I was flying along on the Interstate. New tires fixed the problem.

Good luck!
Old 12-05-2012, 07:56 PM
New Members

Thanks. Have the brake appointment scheduled in two weeks. Yes, I was told to replace pad and rotor at the same time. My tires have only 15k miles on them, unless one of them are defected. Will keep an eye on the tire as well.