E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Are 530d and manual transmission good bedfellows?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 11:27 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all who have replied to my question!

In case you may be interested, after testing both auto and manual, I've chosen auto. I didn't like manual because the clutch throw was too long.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:38 PM
Contributors

I have had both and here my comments:
* trying to sale my 530d 6 speed was a pain - people who buy cars in this price category just don't want the hassle of a manual tranny.
* doing a 0-50mph in the city from the traffic lights with the 6 speed was never as smooth as with an automatic. Engaging the clutch everytime i switched gears took away so much torque that could see passenger heads jerking back and forth. In other words, acceleration was never smooth.
* automatic is less hectic but i guess that comes from point 2.

on the whole i do miss the direct contact between the accelerator and the engine (your revs directly translates to power) vs the pseudo revs (because of the torque converter) you get with an automatic. but overall i can drive faster whilst being relaxed with an automatic...

greetinz
Old 09-09-2007, 11:53 PM
Senior Members

the 530d has a lot of torque, and that in turn has to be dealt with by the transmission, especailly if you ecu remap it, the transmisssion is under pressure when you accerlate real fast, together if yours is a manual then you can screw your clutch after some miles, (being a bmw, this takes a long time, inevitable however)

Stick to the AUTO Box, better for re-sale, amongst other things.

I also wanted a manual, but was advised strongly to buy a auto, and eventually i did after debating for a day or so.

E60BEEMER
Old 11-21-2007, 12:54 AM
Members

Originally Posted by E60BEEMER' post='467805' date='Sep 10 2007, 07:53 AM
the 530d has a lot of torque, and that in turn has to be dealt with by the transmission, especailly if you ecu remap it, the transmisssion is under pressure when you accerlate real fast, together if yours is a manual then you can screw your clutch after some miles, (being a bmw, this takes a long time, inevitable however)

Stick to the AUTO Box, better for re-sale, amongst other things.

I also wanted a manual, but was advised strongly to buy a auto, and eventually i did after debating for a day or so.

E60BEEMER
Likewise I wanted a manual, but just couldn't find one used. Now really pleased with the auto (ok, sluggish on moving off with light throttle), goes like a rocket if you put it in M1 then just floor the throttle - it will do all the changes for you. This surprised an Audi TT the other day, didn't get past until I backed off at the 60 limit
Old 11-21-2007, 01:44 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by rsyed' post='467798
Likewise I wanted a manual, but just couldn't find one used. Now really pleased with the auto (ok, sluggish on moving off with light throttle), goes like a rocket if you put it in M1 then just floor the throttle - it will do all the changes for you. This surprised an Audi TT the other day, didn't get past until I backed off at the 60 limit

I fully agree with both sets of comments. I have a pre-LCI 530d and am a happy camper. Sure, there are times when I wish I could shift the thing manually, but most of the time the auto box does exactly what it is supposed to, and does it well. I hear the auto box on the LCI is even better. Residuals are definitely going to be affected by a manual as well for two reasons: first, most people buying a car of this sort at this price bracket would consider the auto an integral part of the luxury image/package; second, there is a very large school of thought out there that cars with auto trannies tend to have better run and preserved engines than those with manuals - this is definitely a major point for anyone buying a a used, expensive, performance engined car.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

My previous car (Audi A4 2.5 V6 TDi) came with a manual box and I loved it. Once you get used shifting up earlier (than a petrol), you can make genuinely rapid process.

When looking at A6s and 5 series most were Autos and, to be honest, it's a lot easier as the car gets used for commuting most of the time. It's a far more relaxing way to travel.

As for changing up etc, leave it normal 'D' and drive slowly and it will change up at about 2,000 rpm. Put it in Sport and drive slowly and it change up at about 3,000 rpm.

However, if you floor it, it will hang on to the gears for a lot longer - maybe not redline, but certainly close.

I think the only reason to go for a manual is for economy. FRom what I read the auto suffers by about 4mpg and is particularly bad in town. That said, take a look at this picture from my old A4 which was even worse in traffic jams:

Old 11-21-2007, 01:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

PS - please excuse my choice of radio station...
Old 11-23-2007, 12:07 AM
Members

My Ride: 530d Touring, since June 2004, manual transmission, 8,3 l/100 km

Well, I?ve a 530d touring with manual transmission and I?m happy with it. I make my km most times on the autobahn, so it takes only a short minute to use the 6th gear. I like transmitting the gears manually. But the new automatic transmission is very, very good. Nevertheless I ordered my new car with manual transmission again.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:47 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport Saloon / Carbon Black / E-maps re-map / 20" Vortex R alloys - carbon black / Pro-Nav / Vis pack / heated leather / enough for now /

Originally Posted by Kell' post='497166' date='Nov 21 2007, 10:51 AM
PS - please excuse my choice of radio station...
/OT
I'll not tell Kell

As far as the OP goes, depends on what sort of driving you do really.
Lots of traffic, I'd go auto every time - shifting lots of torque with your left leg can make you a bit dispoportioned.
I always resisted going the auto route - I thought it might make the driving experience too remote.
I now realise the error of my ways.