E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Are 530d and manual transmission good bedfellows?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 03:39 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello.

Are there any drawbacks to choosing manual transmission to go with 530d?

I'm planning to buy a new E61, and the dealer insists that powerful diesels should better have automatic transmission. He says something about too big torque, but I don't really understand what that means in practical driving.

I'd like to note that my question is not about Auto v. Manual in general. I think I know the pros and cons of both. I'm rather worried that manual may somehow cripple the engine of my choice.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:09 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 530D Sport E61

How many manuals have you seen used?
What would the residuals of a manual be like after 3 years?

I personally found the auto to be a good match to the engine even with spirited driving because you use the torque rather than rev's.

The only real negative of the auto is in town I would probably want the auto to change up sooner and use more of its torque as the 530d's fuel consumption round town is poor.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:16 AM
Members

Hello and welcome Ducalme.

It won?t cripple your engine at all !
What your dealer means is that such an engine with lots of torque already at 1500 rpm is very suited for AT.
An petrol engine with the torque-peak as high as for instance 5000 rpm isn?t optimal for AT. Makes the transmission change gear much more frequently.
So an MT is suited for both diesel and petrol. No worries

Btw. I have a 530d MT and the engine is great together with a manual.

Ti
Old 07-01-2007, 04:37 AM
Members

How many manuals have you seen used?
Don't know, I've never shopped for a used car. But judging from classifieds, the offer of auto is ten times' that of manual.

What would the residuals of a manual be like after 3 years?
I guess, same as of an automatic less the price of the auto gearbox.

The only real negative of the auto is in town I would probably want the auto to change up sooner and use more of its torque as the 530d's fuel consumption round town is poor.
Aha! That's an interesting one, thank you.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:58 AM
Members

What your dealer means is that such an engine with lots of torque already at 1500 rpm is very suited for AT.
That is, he means that with an engine suited for auto so well, it's stupid to give up the pleasure of auto. Like paying a lot for a trip to Maiami, and never going to the beach. Right?

I have a 530d MT and the engine is great together with a manual.
Thanks for reassuring me, Titanium. But I notice a triple exclamation mark after MT in your signature. To me it implies that having MT on a 530d is something exceptional. Why that? Does it mean that the majority of diesel owners are too lazy to shift gears, and MT owners are heroes?
Old 07-01-2007, 11:01 AM
Members

I'm about to become a 530d owner (E60 auto), moving from an E39 manual. Depends entirely on your daily commute - if it's stop/start, junctions and stuff then the auto is preferable for ease. The MT in my E39 was great though - good mpg and it would fly if you got the revs right. Always felt well controlled.

It's just a pity i couldn't find the right spec E60 with manual. They are rare and people expect an auto generally, so resale is tougher - you're right about the value.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:53 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

The majority of 530D's sold are auto because the auto box works well with an engine of this power.

Also the residuals are better because they are more popular, the auto box is seen as a bit more luxury which most people want on a car like this.

No reason not to get a manual if that floats your boat, but this is my fist auto and I am glad I made the choice, it really is a much more relaxing drive. I can concentrate on other aspects of my driving and not have to think about gear changes at junctions and roundabouts.

Drive both and see how you feel.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Welcome.

Firstly, I am biassed. I have had both Auto's and Manuals and I prefer the Manual gearbox for my type of driving.

Manual's can be a little ponderous, but the 'box is miles better than any other manual 'box that BMW have produced.

Auto's are great for 90% of the time. It's the last 10% I don't like, even with manual selection of the Auto box. When you're using the manual function on an Auto, it generally means that you are driving in a spirited manner, and IMHO it just isn't fast enough at that time.

The cynic in me think that sales persons want to sell more Auto's because they get more commission.

Manual's fetch less at resale time of course, because you haven't paid out as much in the first place. I think you will find that the Manual car will sell BETTER, because there are people out there, like me, who will search high and low for a Manual, as they are relatively rare.

As an example, when I bought my used 530d (E60) last year, I hadn't even heard about an E61 530d Manual. When I went to pick up my car, I saw my first one in the showroom. The sales person was amazed that both Manual cars had sold within the week. He had expected to have them on the books for some time. There is the perception that to have a 5er means you must have an Auto. Not true.

Have no worries that the Manual will cripple or stiffle your magnificent engine.

I've said it before on here - I just wish that there were a Manual version of the 535d, but Herr BMW can't make a Manual box to take the torque.

Bottom line: Go with whichever you prefer, as it will always be the right choice. Both 'boxes are equally as good, although each have different advantages.

The rider to that is: If you are towing, then Manual, Manual, Manual. No contest.

Mike
Old 07-08-2007, 01:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d sport, Silver Grey/grey/maple. 20" Hartge Nova 7. Previously 19" staggered 172s

Originally Posted by KAF' post='444504' date='Jul 7 2007, 08:53 PM
The majority of 530D's sold are auto because the auto box works well with an engine of this power.

Also the residuals are better because they are more popular, the auto box is seen as a bit more luxury which most people want on a car like this.

No reason not to get a manual if that floats your boat, but this is my fist auto and I am glad I made the choice, it really is a much more relaxing drive. I can concentrate on other aspects of my driving and not have to think about gear changes at junctions and roundabouts.

Drive both and see how you feel.
After everything you have said about the autos Keith?

I agree completely. For a big diesel AT no question. For a revvy petrol then manual every time.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by ducalme' post='442113' date='Jul 1 2007, 02:39 PM
Are there any drawbacks to choosing manual transmission to go with 530d?

Get the auto!

Even better is the xA.

500 Nm of torgue is too much for the rear wheels even on dry roads.

The 525dA Touring is more than enough.
Spend the rest of the money on Comfort Seats and L7 etc.

Quick Reply: Are 530d and manual transmission good bedfellows?