2009 E61 Door trim removal - 5Series.net - Forums

E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Old 05-26-2017, 03:59 PM   #1
New Members

Default 2009 E61 Door trim removal

I'm sure I'll get blasted, but I swear I've searched (potentially with incorrect terms) for the answer to this on this forum.

Do I need to pull the doors to get this trim off - or do they just pop off with trim removal tools? Obviously, I don't want to try to pry if they're bolted on

See attached.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
2009 E61 Door trim removal-img_6916.jpg   2009 E61 Door trim removal-img_6917.jpg  
Paul Drace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:14 PM   #2
New Members

Good planning suggests that you unplug battery power so as not to accidentally blow the side airbag in the door. E60 door covers (or "cards") with all their parts and speakers are pretty heavy and will strain various internal connections if you allow them to hang loose, and one of those connections is the side airbag in the door.

The process is trivial: remove #27 Torx beneath the AirBag badge and then a Philips screw beneath the plastic screw cover at the front of the door to get things started, and then pop the lower and sides loose starting with a plastic pry tool and then your hands. The top against the glass pops outward, not upward, and requires a fair amount of force. Do not attempt to pry the top edge loose starting from the front of the door or you will likely break the door card there (there's a fragile area where the card wraps up from flat at the front to the top of the door near the "sails"), start from the door handle end of the door.

There are quite a number of connectors once inside, however, and for that I suggest that you avail yourself to this thing we call YouTube... there are a couple particularly helpful videos showing the removal process in all its glory.

Tip: you don't have to completely remove every connector and the door covers, depending on the task. Besides all the factory components, I have aftermarket speaker connections and didn't want to disturb them, so I used a padded wood box to prop under the loose door covers eliminating all cable strain, allowing me plenty of room to do the work needed. Took me less than forty minutes to replace both side mirrors, for instance.
E61FUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:29 PM   #3
New Members

That is a super helpful and awesome reply.
chadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:48 AM   #4
New Members

Thanks. Tried to cover the process in a way that I would have liked to have read before I removed my door panels. I have a full set of tech manuals for my wagon, but it's the little details and time savers that I have gleaned from other good wrenches that I am often grateful for. That's what brings me back to online forums, this one included. Techniques gleaned from experience, and ideas!
E61FUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:11 AM   #5
Senior Members

I thought that you always wanted to keep the battery concected?
V70Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:16 AM   #6
New Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by V70Cat
I thought that you always wanted to keep the battery concected?
You always disconnect when working on the car at least it's good practice. Not everyone does it. You don't want to accidentally trigger something because you failed to disconnect the battery.
seanjordan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:59 AM   #7
New Members

Agree on disconnecting the battery.

On this car (2009) these trim panels are incredibly hard to remove, no way you could do it without removing the door cards. Even then, it is really difficult to remove these as they're not simply snapped in, these trim pieces are held in with circular ring clips which by themselves are ridiculous to remove even with the door cards removed. I scrapped the idea of removing the trim and will be covering the trim in-place without removing the trim. Not ideal. but better than replacing them all due to breaking them while trying to remove them.
Paul Drace is offline   Reply With Quote