E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

2008 E61 Need prepurchase advice

Old 10-18-2015, 07:23 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E39 Wagon
Default 2008 E61 Need prepurchase advice

I have found a low mileage well taken care of E61 but need some experienced advice before I make the purchase. I hope I'm in the right place. This wagon does not have Navigation which I can live without but I was wondering if there are other unintended consequences to not having the Navi option.
The other item is that it has no USB port in the armrest compartment only what seems to be an audio port. It also has the audio port in the rear seat area just below the vents.
What can be used via this audio port and how is the sound quality?
Those are the only 2 items that I wish were different on this wagon but everything else is exactly what I want.
Thanks for your help!
Pete
Old 10-18-2015, 03:26 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 E61 535xi

Originally Posted by schoeny
I have found a low mileage well taken care of E61 but need some experienced advice before I make the purchase. I hope I'm in the right place. This wagon does not have Navigation which I can live without but I was wondering if there are other unintended consequences to not having the Navi option.
The other item is that it has no USB port in the armrest compartment only what seems to be an audio port. It also has the audio port in the rear seat area just below the vents.
What can be used via this audio port and how is the sound quality?
Those are the only 2 items that I wish were different on this wagon but everything else is exactly what I want.
Thanks for your help!
Pete

The aux plug in under the vents is to plug in your iPod or whatever music device you have. Just like any aux cord, the quality is not that good. Hope this helps.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:43 AM
New Members

My Ride: E39 Wagon

Thanks for the info, I'll check my source formats
Pete

Originally Posted by E61FUN
The USB/Aux iPod inputs under the center console armrest still rely on the analog audio coming from an iPod's headphone jack, so it's essentially the same thing as an Aux-only input, right? If that is the case, then consider the quality of your audio files.

I've noted a large difference between MP3 and AAC files vs Apple Lossless source material (or similar lossless formats). My car's audio system is still currently stock, but the output gain alone from the lossless file format seems to really help with overall sound quality.

In fact, I recently bought the newer "Y" cable which has the 1/8" (3.5mm) and USB to lightning plug connector (P/N 61122287642) and found that the lossless files were distorting (clipping) the D-A converter in the cable dongle.

So, while you may only have an Aux input, consider what you feed in there.