E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

2006 530xi Touring Hesitation Stutter

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 05:34 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: e46 m3 e61
Default 2006 530xi Touring Hesitation Stutter

I have been having a random issue with my E61. I am not sure it is related specifically to the touring design. I suspect the alternator or battery but the pushing feeling leads me to seek other opinions. Additionally, the alternator and battery both test "good" at autozone and advance auto parts...

Under light or heavy acceleration the car will randomly stutter. Sometimes it is violent and sometimes it just is a quick stutter. Here is a video of what is happening with the throttle :
Here is a video of what is happening with the voltage during the stutters

At low RPM it is less noticeable, but at higher RPM (above 3500) it becomes very apparent that the car is stuttering or missing badly. The weird thing is that when I keep it in gear and decelerate it will sometimes "push" like the car is getting the gas petal is being bliped. This is why I question the alternator or battery. You can see this in the video in the MPG indicator.

The car is a 2006 530xi touring with m sport 6-speed with 193k miles on it. I cleared my codes and I am getting the following error codes. I tried to search and put the description for what I could find.
DME/DDE
2E84 64 Electric Cooling Pump, Communication
2E97 62 Alternator
2EA1 64 Oil Condition Sensor, Communication
2E8E 64 Intelligent Battery Sensor, Communication

DSC
6DCB E0 Engine Management Interface

EHC
5FB4 60 Energy Saving Mode Active

SINE
9D1F 62 Emergency Siren

KLIMA
9C69 61 Rear Cabin Stratification Flap Position Sensor
E714 62 IHKA: Message (Battery Voltage, 3BE)

The battery was replaced 2 years ago when I took ownership. It was registered. The alternator was replaced about 8 months ago. The oil sensor and crank position sensor were replaced 6 months ago. At that time car was stuttering like it is now but was much more often, was stalling and would not idle well. It also threw an error indicating the crank sensor. After installing the sensor the car started right up and worked great until now. The oil sensor did not start working again after being replaced. I didnt end up having time to look into that but I did not see any frayed wires of anything out of the ordinary while under the car.

The car did have some water intrusion about 3 months ago from a leaking pano sunroof. The electronics panel in the back of the car got wet and the battery died. The battery was charged back up and I dried the panel out and the car started back up with no problems until now.

Last edited by xfeastonarsex; 10-25-2017 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:14 AM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530xiT (E61)
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by xfeastonarsex

The car did have some water intrusion about 3 months ago from a leaking pano sunroof. The electronics panel in the back of the car got wet and the battery died. The battery was charged back up and I dried the panel out and the car started back up with no problems until now.
did you have water pooled under the spare tire?
Old 12-14-2017, 11:25 AM
New Members

My Ride: 530xi Sportwagen
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Random electrical errors and hesitation on acceleration point to bad coils. The E60/E61 series of cars is known to develop faulty coils on the plugs. The rubber dries out, then cracks and allows the spark to jump to the head.

I highly recommend taking a look at the coils. Replacing the coils is about as much as a diagnostic visit, and you can do it yourself.

Jose
Old 12-16-2017, 05:09 AM
New Members

My Ride: e46 m3 e61

No pooling of water in the spare tire area. All my electronics had been moved out of there and relocated.

would the bad coils case these communication errors that are occuring?