E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

2005 iDrive Issues

Old 03-08-2017, 05:16 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 530XiT
Model Year: 2006
Default 2005 iDrive Issues

Hello all. Before I continue I should mention this is a bit of a panic post, although I have done some research prior to posting. I have not found another thread (yet) with my symptoms.

Build date 1/2006. Lastest iDrive software. 109k miles. 4 year old BMW battery.

Problem:
Screen going black, becoming very bright, not responding to software brightness control, not turning off with car, sometimes staying on with 'BMW' logo.

System functions work: voice control, media, etc.

Resetting the system while driving caused the screen to shut off - not blanked- without power. Subsequent resets leave it blank.

During my ownership, the system has never frozen or needed to be reset. Slow to boot at times but never non-functional.

SO....is it the screen or is it the unit? Could battery voltage problems produce something like this? Or is the iDrive unit displaying normal signs of failure?

I appreciate any and all help. I don't trust even my indie shop to give me reasons and options other than playing the parts replacement game.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:56 AM
Members

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
My Ride: E61 525i 2005, F11 528i 2012
Model Year: 2012

Could be the small ventilator at the back of the iDrive unit. It stops and then all the electronics go bad. Try to remove the unit and see if it works correctly.

Search this Thread