E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

E61 BMW NAV stereo amplifier location?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 01:53 PM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: E39 M5
Model Year: 2003
Default E61 BMW NAV stereo amplifier location?

I am looking to add a sub and an amp for a little extra bass. (I know I have subs under the seats) I was gifted a pretty nice sub that I have no other use for and I have a basement full of amps. Might as well add some bass to the family wagon.

Looking for the factory amp location so I can tap into the audio for the LOC for the amp. I dug around in the back and wasn't sure what I am seeing. Anyone have insight on the amp? If so, any more information on the input wire colors from the HU?

Thank you
Old 04-16-2017, 02:12 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: white
Model Year: 1947
Engine: b38

Originally Posted by timmay77

Looking for the factory amp location so I can tap into the audio for the LOC for the amp. I dug around in the back and wasn't sure what I am seeing. Anyone have insight on the amp? If so, any more information on the input wire colors from the HU?

Thank you
Factory amp location is at left-rear, just in front of left side access panel.

E61s came with either std HiFi or "HiFi System Professional DSP" (Logic 7 "surround sound"). The situation for adding/replacing an amp will differ depending on which you have. If you have a graphic EQ in your car's setting menu in addition to treble/bass tone controls, you have Logic 7.

Page sixteen of Evan's epic thread references updating the std HiFi system. He has an image of left rear interior with the access panel removed. Looks like he is splicing in at the white-colored box (amplifier?). In contrast, my Logic 7 amp's aluminum chassis is mounted in that same area, vertically, with the bottom just visible at the lower-right when the access door is open.

In an email conversation with the musicar northwest folks awhile back, they stated to me that the Logic 7 amp is fed by a two-channel digital feed from the headunit, and that all the audio channel splitting/DSP is taking place in the amp prior to going to analog.

If the speaker wires are back in that corner on Evan's HiFi-equipped car, then the same thing is likely (audio arriving at the amp is two channel digital audio and the analog speaker looms connect there and feed whatever speakers you have). Where tweeters exist, there are simple crossovers dividing the feed later near the location (typically two tweeters front, none at the center, none in rear doors, two in ceiling on Logic 7 cars).

Originally Posted by ucsbwsr
The wagon is out of commission while a blown KW coilover is repaired so I took the opportunity to continue working on the stereo install.
General layout of how things will be in the rear, I decided to ditch my spare.

Last edited by E61FUN; 04-20-2017 at 12:15 AM. Reason: add detail
Old 04-17-2017, 12:06 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010, E61, 535i xDrive
Model Year: 2010

I'll look for it from home, but I've posted either here or at Bimmerfest pictures of the location and the cable selection for the subs positive and negative. it is easy to tap into those cables.