E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

2" Receiver Hitch in USA? Also: Wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 10:17 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xi wagon 6AT

I've admired the G since the 80's, but there's just no getting around that vehicle's drinking problem, especially since gas is only going to go higher. Landcruisers are also attractive, but they're only marginally less thirsty.

The things I like about the Xterrra is it's faster than a V8 touareg, never breaks, and has a 6-speed manual and selectable 4x4. Like my Wrangler, you can hoon the hell out of it in the snow (4x2 mode and clutch kicks on low friction surfaces ) All that, and whatever damage befalls it in the line of duty... who cares. Battle scars. I would take too much pride in the G wagen to have the same level of fun with it. The Xterra uses half the fuel and costs pennies to fix if you ever do break it. People I've talked to who owned the Frontier pickup or Xterra have beat the living hell out of them and never broken a thing. That = lots of fun, and no worries.

The one problem with the new Touaregs is they ditched the locking diffs of the old one, so it's not nearly as offroad capable. The 2008 V10 TDi is a pretty sweet rig, but every Touareg owner I've known has had too much trouble with the previous generations. How's your experience been?
Old 07-13-2011, 10:24 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Originally Posted by jwestpro
I'm also looking at my idea of the ultimate heavy duty suv combined with just enough plush...the MB G wagen AMG. Not fuel efficient by any means however they are built very well and would last many, many years.
Fixed.

If you're going to get a G550, might as well make it an AMG!
Old 07-13-2011, 10:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

Yes, air suspension up through 2010, rear locker up through 2009 v6 tdi, 4 zone ac only up though the 08. People are all over the place on how reliable they have been. Possibly a build quality car to car issue? The v10 tdi engine itself seems great, long term, etc, but it's the other systems. I expect Arnott will have replacement air springs for it soon that are designed better. the 2011 Touareg, in the US market, lost the air, low range transfer case, no rear locker, and in my opinion, any reason for being classified as an suv anymore. It joined the overflowing ranks of bloated cars. The new Cayenne at least retained the air suspension but are also otherwise castrated.

Before I would never have considered the xterra.... they are "neat" but the interior volumetric space is important to me which is why the G is good, but also my 04 Discovery, but it's 14 mpg on good days. I'll have to check out the nissan but I saw one just break up it's front driveline on a simple hill climb where my disco just walked along as if it were the warm up to the real trail ahead. the xterra had to be flatbed towed home

If I went across the other pond, I'd probably go with Land Cruiser over Nissan but some research on expedition portal would be the best place to start.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:34 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Lotus99
Fixed.

If you're going to get a G550, might as well make it an AMG!
Test drove two used 05 G55 here last week. Looking seriously at 2011 G55 (honestly more for build quality of engine and transmission than speed). It is in fact a gas guzzler but it would also simply last until I am no longer of legal driving age/ability. The trouble is, resources, they are not unlimited and a new G55 equates to a lot of other directions important to us. One very nice combination I had in mind: $/G55 = a used 08 V10 tdi Touareg + new Airstream 16-19' + payoff of the e61 we just got. That's a hard comparison!
Old 07-13-2011, 12:35 PM
Members

a used 08 V10 tdi Touareg + new Airstream 16-19' + payoff of the e61 we just got. That's a hard comparison!
That'd be my vote. The airstream eddie bauer is pretty cool, with the cargo door in the back you could easily keep the bikes in there. Makes it easy to load all your things...

The V10 Touareg would be far less depressing as a tow vehicle, too, when it comes to refueling. It's not just the cost of the fuel, but the imposition of having to constantly be on the lookout for gas stations. I'm a big fan of range, and the turbodiesel is the ideal configuration for towing, especially where mountains are involved. You can easily detach the trailer and take the T-reg anywhere the G would go, and probably further.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:43 PM
Members

Yes, air suspension up through 2010, rear locker up through 2009 v6 tdi, 4 zone ac only up though the 08. People are all over the place on how reliable they have been. Possibly a build quality car to car issue? The v10 tdi engine itself seems great, long term, etc, but it's the other systems. I expect Arnott will have replacement air springs for it soon that are designed better. the 2011 Touareg, in the US market, lost the air, low range transfer case, no rear locker, and in my opinion, any reason for being classified as an suv anymore. It joined the overflowing ranks of bloated cars. The new Cayenne at least retained the air suspension but are also otherwise castrated.

Before I would never have considered the xterra.... they are "neat" but the interior volumetric space is important to me which is why the G is good, but also my 04 Discovery, but it's 14 mpg on good days. I'll have to check out the nissan but I saw one just break up it's front driveline on a simple hill climb where my disco just walked along as if it were the warm up to the real trail ahead. the xterra had to be flatbed towed home

If I went across the other pond, I'd probably go with Land Cruiser over Nissan but some research on expedition portal would be the best place to start.
I'd wonder whether the Nissan you saw was stock. The stockers all have open front diffs. You can lock the rear, but not the front (from the factory). Hard to break an open diff unless you're doing something stupid.

Is the air suspension in the Cayenne for height adjustment (like the allroad), or just ride control (firmer/softer/load levling)?

For me, the Nissan mainly appeals as a car that will do everything I ask, ask little or nothing in return, and not make me feel bad if it gets a little beat up. I'd put a Disco in the same category, but I fear the overall reliability of those. If I were looking for a 'long haul' vehicle I'd want more luxury with diesel power and economy... The G wagen aside, the V10 Touareg is about the most impressive SUV that will ever be, for the uses we're discussing.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:55 PM
Senior Members

The V10 is by far the coolest of the Touaregs but the v6 tdi gets roughly 5 mpg better fuel economy, but not really more than that though. I expect it's the huge torque that helps the larger v10 as it hangs onto taller gears easier.

Other aspects, when comparing, because the price is roughly the same between 08 v10 tdi vs 2010 v6tdi: (2009 v6tdi optioned well and not in white, are hard to find but are significantly cheaper due to lack of fancy dual tone interior and body kit)

v10 has the very nice 4 zone ac, 09+ barely has a decent 2 zone. The 4 zone is not only individual/separate temp for all parties but also fan speed, as well as which vents are used. Driver can have fast warm air on feet while passenger has none on feet but cool air on middle, back seat left could have slow cool on feet and right seat person with warm high on door pillar face vent. True 4 zone.

V10 has archaic nav (dvd, non-touch, slow to get around a map) and zero bluetooth for phone but can be fitted with the newer oem units in 09+ vehicles which have touch screen hard disk nav and bluetooth

V10 however has best cargo space by a 2" vertical margin. This is due to lack of the "ad-blue" urea tank set up in the v6tdi under the cargo floor.

V10 retains at least a space saver spare in the cargo floor (where it gets removed to allow the above urea tank stuff)

What does the v6tdi have OVER the v10, for 09 it has price, $10,000 less, 2010 are about the same used price, but then 07 v10 tdi are cheaper so overall, the pricing is roughly equalized depending on pickiness of mileage/options.

The cost however of bringing the v10 nav up to v6tdi version, adds about $2500 I think.

Oh, the rear locker adds another degree of "capability" to the Touareg when on really rugged terrain, it was a rare option on the 09 v6tdi so that year could be the sweet spot for the frugal. I am not in the frugal-first genre though, I like the v10 power

I'm really going to research the above airstream, never knew they made one with opening rear end unit! Although that one would likely be in the $55,000 plus range.... ouch. Might have to start with a Bambi Sport 16' for a mere $35k! or used is even smarter.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:58 PM
Senior Members

I confess.... in fall 2007, I bought a new V10 tdi..... but thought the LR3 was going to reign as the one we always took due to far superior off road, size, flexible uses, but now it needs a rear differential at 52k! Not a super expensive replacement but it's the principal of needing one at all at such low mileage!!!!!

We sold the Touareg when we got the Audi S4 Avant.... So for 3 years I've missed that ride.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:44 PM
Members

Airstream does make a much smaller and more spartan trailer called the Basecamp. It starts around $20k I think, and does have a cool rear cargo door. I kinda like it, overall. With the tent extension on it you can store bikes out of the rain at a campsite, and it's a great way to haul all your gear safely without having to have a massively cumbersome trailer. You could probably tow it with the 535xiT.

Here's some pics:

I did find something else kind of cool while searching just now:

As for prices, '08 is the current 'sweet spot' for used cars, as that's what's fully off the three year leases right now. '09 cars will quickly get cheaper in the next 6 months, as will the 09 Touareg as some of the next gen become available used. I'd consider one, but my other issue is the dealers for everything but American cars and Subaru are 100 miles away. If I'm going to have TWO cars that I can't get serviced in town, then one will have to be Japanese (because they never need service).
Old 07-13-2011, 02:59 PM
Members

It also occurs to me, re the longevity of the G and keeping it 'forever'... what's the longest you've ever kept a vehicle? I've owned 27 cars in the last 22 years. 'Forever' is about three years.

Quick Reply: 2" Receiver Hitch in USA? Also: Wiring?