E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

2" Receiver Hitch in USA? Also: Wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 10:19 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xi wagon 6AT

Originally Posted by Lotus99
Thanks. So then your wheels extending 20 mm from stock (based on wider wheels and lower offset) isn't the same effect as just tacking on a 20 mm spacer (because you've introduced another part b/w the wheel and the hub)?
The situation gets more 'sensitive' as you push the wheels further out. It's made far worse when you have to use thicker spacers that require two sets of lug nuts. Thinner spacers simply use longer lug bolts to connect to the OEM hub. As you get thicker spacers, the design changes such that you have to mount the spacers to the OEM hubs, and then you bolt the wheels to a second set of holes in the spacer. The latter is NOT a desirable scenario, and ultimately the right thing is to have hubcentric wheels and no spacers.

I wouldn't recommend this design, though other smaller spacers ECS offers are probably acceptable:

Their smaller spacers also have nice anodization that keeps the wheels from 'sticking' to the spacer after a long winter. I had problems with the ones pictured above.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:02 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Thanks Sarge, I have 10 mm spacers on my other car, and just got longer bolts for them. Had no idea there were spacers that mounted onto the hub, then had bolts screw into them. Yeah, I can totally see how they're not as secure, though I'd hope if a reputable place like ECS sells them, they must have been tested to withstand lots of abuse...

J, looks like one of your neighbours is up here, and travelling in style too I might add!
Attached Thumbnails 2" Receiver Hitch in USA? Also: Wiring?-style.jpg  
Old 07-13-2011, 06:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

^that's awesome! Nice way to make more use of the Porsche.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:47 AM
Senior Members

Thanks. I need to decide basically on the 50 vs. the 58 I think.

What's your thoughts on whether the 58 would be too long or not, if I was to leave the bars semi-permanently on the car during the summer? Was worried the 58's might look crappy if they stick out too far from the roof, and/or I might risk bumping my head getting in the car?

Or did you take yours off each time after a trip?
She took the car again today so no photos. oops.

It gets better mpg and has 2x the warranty than on our Audi Avant. Although she feels more comfortable/matched to the Audi scale and responsiveness. The BMW is more comfortable to me, but the Audi is hands down more agile, responsive, in tune with the road and driver input. The clutch and gearbox are also better.

I think wider bars "look" great, but yes, you have to be aware of your personal space or you will bonk your head

I can at least measure my bars and bike mounts that came off to verify their length.

No, generally I do not take all that stuff off after every trip but this time I was curious to compare mpg with a bare roof vs bars and 2100 cargo box and bike mounts. So far, I really like the hitch mounted tray style bike holder. No wheels have to come off (which is nice not having mud inside the car and or loose wheels to fly around in an accident. I wonder how the rear mounted bikes would hold up in a rollover accident...better than on the roof I presume!

The hitch holder is not terribly annoying yet because I can still get quick access to the cargo area via the glass opening. Something that would not work on the X5 but would on a Touareg.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:58 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Sarge
I generally try to stay away from spacers, and I'd stay in the 10-15mm range at most just to avoid potential vibration issues. Any time I've used wider spacers, I've had vibration problems. I used 25mm (IIRC) on my 4.8i to get the winter tires to line up with the wider 20" sport package fender trim (I was using 19" X6 wheels for winter). I had vibrations in the rear.
I don't like spacers either. Some people go on about how they are "just fine" but maybe they lucked out or maybe I am too aware of the smallest faint vibrations. We tried them on the Audi in the first year just for kicks and they instantly felt different. Upon removal and test drive, the car felt instantly solid and smooth again. They were installed correctly and torqued, etc.

Plus, I've never liked parts on top of parts as a rule. This applies to roof racks too. My pet peeve is seeing a car or suv with rails like our wagons, then a crossbar holding a wire basket style contraption, upon which are a couple bike trays....

I actually considered removing the factory rails but then the height will get slim and the sunroof may hit the cargo box when open but it also would not be as good when roof is clear if the rail removal left behind gaping holes without a nice cap piece. I may try it but on the Touareg, you can simply mount a Thule or Yakima tower/foot directly into a recessed channel in the roof underneath the rail.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:50 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Sarge
I used 25mm (IIRC) on my 4.8i to get the winter tires to line up with the wider 20" sport package fender trim (I was using 19" X6 wheels for winter).
I forgot about the X5. This is OT, and maybe I'll post a new thread called "X5d or 535 Touring": Do you still have the X5? Depending on Y/N, why the switch, or addition? I can only see a few reasons to go with a Touring vs the X5.

Just started the thread - new, in this e61 section We are actually considering an x5d, Touareg tdi v10 2008 / or v6tdi 2009-10
Old 07-13-2011, 09:09 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Originally Posted by jwestpro
I think wider bars "look" great, but yes, you have to be aware of your personal space or you will bonk your head

I can at least measure my bars and bike mounts that came off to verify their length.
Thanks, so if one was to leave the bars on the car all summer, it sounds like you'd still pick the 58" bars (assuming the 50" can still do the job of carring two bikes and a cargo box - if it can't, then it's a moot point anyway!)? When you get a sec to check them, I am curious of your bar length.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:26 AM
Senior Members

I am curious of your bar length.
That's a bit personal for this forum don't you think
Old 07-13-2011, 09:37 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi wagon 6AT

Originally Posted by jwestpro
I forgot about the X5. This is OT, and maybe I'll post a new thread called "X5d or 535 Touring": Do you still have the X5? Depending on Y/N, why the switch, or addition? I can only see a few reasons to go with a Touring vs the X5.

Just started the thread - new, in this e61 section We are actually considering an x5d, Touareg tdi v10 2008 / or v6tdi 2009-10
My primary intended uses for the X5 4.8i was (1) ski car (2) tow vehicle (3) camping (4) road trips. It was only good at 'tow vehicle'. If it had been an X5 35d, it would have rated higher for road trips, as it would have been a LOT less thirsty. (16mpg to San Diego and back to WY, etc was wearing thin on me). As a ski car, it was useless since it wouldn't fit in the garage with a roof box (when you live in a ski town, you leave the box on all winter). Leaving it outside sucked b/c it's frequently -20 here at night in winter. As for camping, it was too fragile, and extremely limited in it's off-road ability. It also chewed through rear tires every 10k, which was annoying and expensive with the obligatory run-flats (which I hate - though I might try Bridgestone's latest stab at them down the road).

In any event, I'm realigning my car uses, and the 535xiT will be used for ski car and road trip car, and some camping along the way. I'll replace my Wrangler with something larger and equally indestructible that tows better and has more room for gear. Probably an Xterra.

As for the Touareg vs X5 35d, I'd say this: The new Touareg has the 8-speed and is rated at 28mpg highway, and is less fragile offroad. It probably doesn't handle as well as the BMW, but that's sort of a moot point IMO, unless you're mainly using it for driving around in the city. Neither fit in a garage with even a low profile roof box, so neither is of much interest to me as far as replacing the 535xiT. If I were looking at the X5 35d I would NOT get the sport package (bad on dirt roads, electronic sway bar ends up rattling, etc) or third row seats (useless, eliminates storage, requires run-flats). I would definitely get the leatherette (have it in my 535xiT with the super adjustable seats, and they look like brand new at 84k and otherwise feel just like leather).

Another vehicle that will be out in the next year or so, and which I will likely buy, is the Grand Cherokee 3.0L turbo diesel. It's rated at 28mpg in europe, and will likely get even better with the upcoming addition of the 8-speed automatic (likely the 2013 model year). When fitted with the air suspension system, which drops to 'slammed' position when you select 'park' mode, it will likely fit in the garage with a low profile roof box. Given that car's offroad chops, and massively better build quality (they're really quite nice now) it represents the best of all worlds for my purposes.

(found on jeepforum.com)

Regardless, unless you need to do something beyond the capabilities of the 535xiT (towing, offroad), then the 535xiT is a vastly more fun car to drive than any of the others above.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:50 AM
Senior Members

AAAh, I see.

The Touareg, fyi, has air suspension available up through last year's 2010 model and the roof itself is not too tall so I bet it could fit in a garage with a box, but maybe not quite.

The Jeep cdi would be interesting.

I'm also looking at my idea of the ultimate heavy duty suv combined with just enough plush...the MB G wagen. Not fuel efficient by any means however they are built very well and would last many, many years.

Maybe a tdi Touareg is the right route for now though. Having low range, a rear differential lock, 12" clearance with 31.7" bfg tires, and ability to run bio-d, it's a nice mix. Plus, a used one combined with what I paid for the wagon, is not much more than the new price of a loaded x5d ! With two vehicles you spread the life/use over two and they both last longer, although not longer than a modern G.

Quick Reply: 2" Receiver Hitch in USA? Also: Wiring?