E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.
View Poll Results: with panorama roof chassis flex, what options do I have.
stay with 18" stock wheels, don't mess with it
12.50%
lower the car with m-sport suspension, but stay with 18" wheel
12.50%
go with lightweight 19" wheel but stock suspension
25.00%
go with lightweight 19" wheel & lower M-sport suspension
50.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

19" rims and horrible chassis flex compatible?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 10:59 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

I do have the panoramaroof, as noted in my signsture. I don't know whether there are structural differences between the European and US cars, or whether you guys drive harder? I did autocross my Scirocco when I lived in the US so maybe there's something to that? I also remember potholes on Manhattan that qualified as tourist attractions! But Manhatan roads had gotten a lot better last I checked and you'll find rough patches of asphalt here as well, let me tell you. In any event, I like the car as is and don't notice any flex. If you have a problem with yours, I'lll butt out of the discussion and let you do something about it. I won't insult you by suggesting you should choose a different model; we all like the looks and utility of this big wagon and want it to be the very best it can be. I definetely agree a 3-series feel lighter and nimbler - I expect it to be! There is no question that the Touring isn't an Elise...but the flexing isn't "horrible"....
Old 04-26-2011, 12:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 E61 M5, 1989 Z1

Pano roof here as well. Keep in mind that with the estate/wagon version there are more "moving parts" than the sedan - things like the individually folding seats, the cargo cover's attachment near the tops of the rear seat-backs and the latches that release the cargo cover when the glass or tailgate is opened and the large and complex tailgate itself. Each of these adds a noise source. Also, the sedan's rear bulkhead and the related noise insulation quietens the car down where the estate has almost an acoustic chamber to amplify them.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

Great list of the Touring's additional acoustic and structural challenges. Thinking thru the differences between the sedan and touring, not the least an absence of a transverse structural member behind the rear seats which you find in the sedan, then it is obvious that the sedan must be more rigid. Nevertheless, BMW have worked magic in my opinion and flex is a non-issue in my car. Perhaps I'm also getting older...
Old 04-26-2011, 04:00 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xiT: CPO purchase in 2008, used by a BMW exec previously, and like-new when I got it. Compared to my other cars, at first I thought it felt heavy and steering was too heavy. Now, I really enjoy driving it in town and on the freeway. On my

hey guys, I'm in Northern California and I have the panorama roof. I vote with the guys who don't have body flex. Not only do I NOT have flex, I don't even have creaking body panels or noisy interior parts (hope I didn't just jinx myself ). The car drives and handles like a dream. My other BMWs are a '74 2002, '91 525i, and '02 330ci, so I kinda maybe know how BMWs handle. I've even driven the wagon from SF to Dallas twice and the ride was just awesome. FWIW!
Old 04-26-2011, 05:10 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 535xi wagon. Monaco Blue/Dakota Brown interior, M Package

Originally Posted by olivierfm
Alexio,

I started a thread a while back on subject of chassis flex and the E61...Also what helps with the creaking noise (around the doors and windows) is making sure the rubber in the top areas of the door is clean and well lubricated. There has been a lot of postings on the subject as well (common problem with many BMW's - sedans as well). Many members recommended using Vaseline (no joke) on the rubber seals. I have done that and it works!- No joke - it certainly helped quiet the door areas.
...Our roads are just too bad and with 19's you will probably have to lower it or it will look too high. Aside from the fairly weak structure, the car is still a blast to drive, in the US it is quite rare and a real sleeper. The M-tech body kit makes it look awesome!
thanks for the explanation and solutions... so you think 19" make the high-riding body look worse?... good info there also, thanks.

Originally Posted by mmitev
On the flex again: it surely isn't as bad as a 70's convertible or something that was "welded together", ... By modern standards, this is not acceptable.
agreed.

Originally Posted by NavarroOne
I do have the panoramaroof, as noted in my signsture. I don't know whether there are structural differences between the European and US cars, or whether you guys drive harder? I did autocross my Scirocco when I lived in the US so maybe there's something to that? I also remember potholes on Manhattan that qualified as tourist attractions! But Manhatan roads had gotten a lot better last I checked and you'll find rough patches of asphalt here as well, let me tell you. In any event, I like the car as is and don't notice any flex. If you have a problem with yours, I'lll butt out of the discussion and let you do something about it. I won't insult you by suggesting you should choose a different model; we all like the looks and utility of this big wagon and want it to be the very best it can be. I definetely agree a 3-series feel lighter and nimbler - I expect it to be! There is no question that the Touring isn't an Elise...but the flexing isn't "horrible"....
well, I think this was partially answered by olivierfm in the post above. If i think about it, the creaks are the driver's side window frame (i'll try vaseline) and most probably the rear luggage cover (I'll try adding some self-adhesive felt as others have suggested to see if it helps) and the roof itself makes noises (especially when the fabric part is pulled back and the glass part remains). It's not like the dash creaks, but if I go over one or two bumps in succession it's the like the whole car is falling apart... NOW THAT is unacceptable. Again, I'm not looking for "handling", I drive the car conservatively, it's NOT a sports car... I call it my "swiss army knife"... it does a lot of things pretty well and is therefore one the favorite vehicles I have ever owned. The M=tech package is being installed within weeks (Federalautobody and Umnitza and painting and prepping parts now) at which point even with 18" wheels it will look very nice to my eyes. Then, a cobb accessport will do the rest and the car will actually have a little bit of speed to match the looks.... but I digress.

Originally Posted by phelix
Pano roof here as well. Keep in mind that with the estate/wagon version there are more "moving parts" than the sedan - things like the individually folding seats, the cargo cover's attachment near the tops of the rear seat-backs and the latches that release the cargo cover when the glass or tailgate is opened and the large and complex tailgate itself. Each of these adds a noise source. Also, the sedan's rear bulkhead and the related noise insulation quietens the car down where the estate has almost an acoustic chamber to amplify them.
great points all, and thank you for responding to my question. Moving forward I will lube the driver window, put some felt or fabric where the luggage cover attaches, and take it from there. I'm almost positive that I won't go to the forgestar 19" that I want so badly as the roads here again, don't have potholes but are lumpy enough to bottom out the suspension on the highway at times. (hwy 17 from Santa Cruz!!!!)

thanks for a great forum.

Alex.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:40 AM
Senior Members

I'll just say THANK YOU RICKY he has tested it for us

https://5series.net/forums/topic/112...4#entry1337484