E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Three Stage Intake Manifold Conversion for 525i - 50+HP Gain!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 08:56 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 06-02-2011, 09:01 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Black Sapphire 535i

Hey Jon,
Welcome aboard and thank you for the positive comments! Once the ECU fully adapts I may very well Dyno the car again. I may even ask Viral to look at the results and determine whether or not we can "fine" tune anything further on the ECU with regards to the timing at high RPM and whether or not the engine is running a bit rich up in that range. Although according to Westport the Air/Fuel ratio mix looks almost perfect throughout the low RPM range.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:02 AM
Contributors

jg525i,
Your silence is deafening. LOL. That's about how I feel regarding this mod too....
Old 06-03-2011, 10:26 AM
Banned

This is why its useless to do a dyno unless you know the person actually knows how to test the specific car you have.

First off this is a completely bogus dyno for a high output n52 engine which it supposedly now is with the mod.

You notice how the dyno only goes to about 6500? Well the 530 makes its peak horsepower of 255 at 6800RPM and then is flat at 255 to 7k.

If you cut off the 530 at 6500 it would probably only be at 245 peak or so.

So first off the dyno did not get to a high enough rpm for the peak power of the new motor. If your tuning is right and manifold is on correctly then your power peak shifted from 6500 to 6800 rpm and this dyno did not do that.

Second your a/f is awfully high at 13 consistently through the whole run. Look at any dyno sheet online. The a/f almost always falls linearly from low rpm to high rpm. Starts at around 13-14 and ends up at 11-12. Needs to be more learn ad piston speeds and heat get higher. This is flat at 13.

And last, assuming your peak turns out to be around 190-195 wheel horsepower, you are about 20 wheel shy of a 530/330 as they put down around 210-220. So you are probably right at a stock 528's output of 230hp at the crank. So a 15-20 crank hp is solid and the most you can get of any mod out there for these engines.

Also an ecu does NOT need more than 1 or 2 dyno runs to "adapt" If you read about LTFT and STFT corrections which is the adaptation of A/F ratio that people talk about, corrections are done hundreds of times per second and is done correcting within a couple pulls if not sooner.

To me it does not look as though AA modified your valvetronic, which is the other big difference between the 525 v. 530's. The lift is higher and duration is different to make more peak hp at higher rpms and is able to take advantage of that due to the 3 stage. Either you just cut the throttle too early or your tune is not taking advantage of the 3 stage. Your power curve should not drop off at 6500-it should be continuing to climb steadily to 6800 and then flaten out completely for a couple hundred rpm.

All in all bmw kept some little secret as nobody has been able to completely crack the difference between the 525/528 and 530's with just doing this swap and a tune. Makes sense as bmw would not just charge 6k more if it were really that easy to flip. Not that its not a great result but your still looking at 25 less hp which makes sense considering the cost difference.

Now with TT enines, it would be silly to have 2 difference outputs of the same engine with turbos as clearly you could boost the other easily. But with NA, the price difference is much easier to get away with because as you can see with signifigant work and a 3 stage/plus tune, its still eeking out 25 less hp.

Either way enjoy and congrats!
Old 06-04-2011, 06:42 PM
Contributors

Diamond,
Great feedback. I'll relay this information to both AA and the dudes I did the Dynojet with and see what they have to say.....More to follow.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:13 PM
Banned

Ya something is wrong at the top end as far as the tuner did not fully take advantage of the 3 stage intake at the top end. Here is a link to a 330i dyno to give you a better idea of what the typical curve should roughly look at. You can see this one peaking at 6750-6800 and then is completely flat until 7k before dropping off.

Yours starts to drop off quickly at 6500 meaning the entire 500rpms up top is wasted instead of being used to further get power.

My guess is your tuner did not increase lift at the top 500rpms enough or their tune in general does not include the right variation in lift from bottom to top v. the bmw stock HO tune.

Either way while not a huge difference, one of the nice upgrades with the 530 motor is its feeling and ability to pull stronger and stronger as rpms climb to 7k v. pulling to 6400 and then feeling it trail off. Especially if you sunk money into this project I would look at a different tuner to rework the inputs and get you more power up top.

The other thing is your AF ratio is too high at the top end in my opinion or the timing is not advanced enough with the lower a/f ratio.
http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo...iCA91600-1.jpg
Old 06-06-2011, 11:50 AM
Contributors

Diamond,
I sent my comments off to AA and Bimmersport and am awaiting their feedback. I will keep everyone posted.

Here is the image for reference of a comparable 330i Dyno results.
Attached Thumbnails Three Stage Intake Manifold Conversion for 525i  - 50+HP Gain!-andree90330ica91600-1.jpg  
Old 06-06-2011, 12:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Georgieb
Diamond,
I sent my comments off to AA and Bimmersport and am awaiting their feedback. I will keep everyone posted.

Here is the image for reference of a comparable 330i Dyno results.
yes exactly-you can see this peaks at 6750-6800, right where it is supposed to be-then is flat (this dyno isnt smoothed but if you draw a line through the middle it is completely flat) to 7k.

Overlay this on yours and you will see your peak before 6500 which may not seem like a huge deal however the primary way the n52 made more power over the outgoing m54 was by adding 500rpms up top and taking advantage of the high end with the intake-so really you are not utilizing the entire point of the engine from a power perspective. It has other advantages like better mpg, flatter torque etc-but peak power was achieved through higher rpm and 3 stage intake with proper tune
Old 06-08-2011, 01:46 PM
Contributors

I talked with the guys over at Active Autowerke today and they should have definitive feedback for me by Friday and possibly a revamped ECU tune now that they are able to see the Dyno results. More to follow.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:20 PM
Contributors

Oh, I almost forgot....I spoke to John at Bimmersport on Friday afternoon and indeed the dudes at Active Autowerke are creating a modified tune for my car. As soon as I get my hands on it next week, we'll re-program the ECU and hit the Dyno again. Hopefully we will see some more enhancements. I'm wondering more and more if during the Dyno testing, the dude let off the gas just prior to 6,500 RPM. It would sure explain a fair bit. Anyway, I don't know how much longer I'm willing to continue chasing numbers but if we can get more out of this engine, I'm sure willing to try.

I've had a busy weekend doing the LCI Headlight updates on my car with a bunch of extra goodies I ordered from John over at Motorcepts.com. The results were awesome. Here's a quick snapshot. (As soon as I have more performance info, I'll add to the thread).
Attached Thumbnails Three Stage Intake Manifold Conversion for 525i  - 50+HP Gain!-lci25.jpg  

Quick Reply: Three Stage Intake Manifold Conversion for 525i - 50+HP Gain!