E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Project ICE - Matte White E60

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 09:57 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iamnatio
BTW, are you going with the OEM M5 rear bumper? The reason I ask is I am looking for an M5 diffuser, but not sure on the fitment since I have an M5tech rear bumper.
Ah no need to answer this. I found your project thread.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:08 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Modded 2010 Carbon Black M5 SMG and Modded 2008 Dinan 550i Sport

Thanks!

That is awesome. Yeah, I really wanted to get something there and the mesh didn't look right and thought the OEM grille would be much better since it would also match the front. Thanks for posting the pic. Did you guys screw it on or just use zip ties?

BTW, are you going with the OEM M5 rear bumper? The reason I ask is I am looking for an M5 diffuser, but not sure on the fitment since I have an M5tech rear bumper.
Neither. I had my body shop do this. They are EXTREMELY high end (mostly Ferrari, Lambo, Rolls, etc.). I am sure they used a different method. I know the owner. I'll ask him and post it or PM you.

Also sorry, I should have been more specific. This is being done on my M5 not my 550i so yes it is the OEM bumper. I also have a Vorsteiner carbon fiber diffuser.

btw...GREAT job on the car. The wrap looks awesome!

-Mike
Old 09-11-2012, 05:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Modded 2010 Carbon Black M5 SMG and Modded 2008 Dinan 550i Sport

Ah no need to answer this. I found your project thread.
Whoops! I didn't see this.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:21 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i 6MT

I'm really liking this matte white color you chose. The whole car looks great, the black/white contrast is slick. You mentioned the m5 rear bumper was a good fit, where did you get it?
I also have to ask if you daily drive the car? I've always dreamed about doing this to turn my silver gray to matte black but the thoughts of how it would hold up to Daily driving and the cost cant be to pretty either.
i'd be interested to see some more recent shots of the car to check out how that vinyl reacts to weather elements
Old 09-12-2012, 08:47 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ColdList
btw...GREAT job on the car. The wrap looks awesome!
Thanks! Yeah I am loving the Vorsteiner diffuser and how grille turned out on your ride. It looks awesome!

Originally Posted by Bill109
I'm really liking this matte white color you chose. The whole car looks great, the black/white contrast is slick. You mentioned the m5 rear bumper was a good fit, where did you get it?
I also have to ask if you daily drive the car? I've always dreamed about doing this to turn my silver gray to matte black but the thoughts of how it would hold up to Daily driving and the cost cant be to pretty either.
i'd be interested to see some more recent shots of the car to check out how that vinyl reacts to weather elements
Thanks! I am located in Sweden so I got the M5Tech rear locally, however Umnitza sells the same rear bumper in the U.S.:
http://www.umnitza.com/e60-5series-m...ar-p-1329.html

Found the same bumper on eBay a few times, however went with the local site since shipping was a lot cheaper. Their site can be found here:
http://www.schmiedmann.com/5_series/e60lci.htm

This is my daily driver and with the car now being white and it also being the rainy season where I am at, it is a little more time consuming trying to keep it clean. If it wasn't for the rain this color would be perfect. lol
This was more of a summer thing and my goal is to switch it up again to a darker color. I will probably be going with Matte Dark Grey. Other then the issue with keeping it clean the product (3M 1080) has held up really good. I will be installing the M5 mirrors this Saturday and will have some new photos ready shortly after. Once the mirrors are installed and I finish up with the vinyl work on the door handles this project is about done.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:58 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Got my front calipers painted last weekend. I had initially wanted to go red but decided to go white to match the color scheme I have for this project. It turned out okay, didn't have the pop I wanted; which is hard with white as it isn't so visible as red.

The brand I used was G2 and it was really easy to work with.

Pic of applying the 2nd coat of paint:

Pic after completion:

For the rear calipers I wanted to go black but think I will stick with white and change them to red for my next project. I wanted to paint the hub black but couldn't get it done this weekend. I will get that done once I change to my winter setup.

I will get the quad tip exhaust installed on Thursday so I needed to get my M5Tech rear bumper installed, which I got done last night.

The fitment on this was perfect. Much better then the MTech rear bumper I installed last time. I hope the install for the exhaust will go well so I can vinyl wrap the rear bumper this weekend. Looks weird now.
Hey I was thinking of painting my calipers red in the next couple of weeks to match my rpi scoop now that I got my wheels. I saw that you painted yours white and made me reconsider my color choice. I was wondering if you could snap a pic a little farther back, like a whole car one, just to see what it looks like from a distance. I'd appreciate it.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:48 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Booyaazaa
Hey I was thinking of painting my calipers red in the next couple of weeks to match my rpi scoop now that I got my wheels. I saw that you painted yours white and made me reconsider my color choice. I was wondering if you could snap a pic a little farther back, like a whole car one, just to see what it looks like from a distance. I'd appreciate it.
Sure thing. I will hopefully get out to paint my rear calipers tomorrow and once that is done I will be taking a few more pics and I will make sure to take some from a distance.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:27 PM
Contributors

Adding a few pics from this past weekend. I got the M5 mirrors installed and finally got my rear calipers painted. Project is pretty much completed. I still want to vinyl wrap the door handles but wasn't able to this weekend. Hopefully I will get to it next weekend.

Started working on the calipers.

2nd coat of paint.

While I had the rear wheels off I cleaned up some curb rash.

Curb rash and rear calipers done.

With the calipers completed and while waiting for them to dry I could start work on the side mirrors. Here is a pic of one of side mirrors off and taken apart. It also includes the M5 replacement.

Pic right after the install.

The M5 mirrors I got was from an NVD reseller located in Europe. The quality and the fitment on the car itself is great. I did have issues with mounting the motor on to the mirror housing securely though. The stock screw provided by BMW that is used to connect the motor to the mirror housing was just not long enough and I wasn't able to get a good hold. I had to improvise and everything is sitting tight now, but I still feel I could have done better in that area. I just didn't have any spare parts to use so I am thinking of ways to improve the connection of the motor to the housing for this weekend.

More pics to follow...
Old 09-17-2012, 08:36 PM
Contributors

Took some pics the day after I got the mirrors installed. I am obviously not very good with the camera as you can see and will have to hire someone someday to take some decent shoots but it gets the point across.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:48 PM
Contributors

I found a really cool spot to take some pics at the top of a parking garage above the gym I go to, however at that time it was really dark and cloudy and just couldn't get the right shots. Wish I had spent some time learning on how to work this camera. I'll share the pics anyway.

With this project completed I am now looking for drilled rotors, sway bars & strut braces for my next project. Actually shopping around for 2nd hand sway bars so if anybody has some just sitting around let me know.

Quick Reply: Project ICE - Matte White E60