E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Project ICE - Matte White E60

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 11:19 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last weekend I finally took some time to start my project as I got all the parts I needed. I still have some parts coming in, however really wanted to get things started before summer was over. My car is currently Jet Black (668) and I will be going for a Matte White/Gloss Black theme.

This project will include the following changes...
  • M5 Front Bumper (Replica)
  • M5 Side Skirts (Replica)
  • M5 Rear Bumper (Replica, currently pending install since I am waiting on my quad tip exhaust so I will be installing an MTech Replica)
  • Eisenmann Duplex Sport Exhaust (Waiting for these to come in. Will take 3-4 weeks)
  • M5 Trunk Finisher (Currently Pending Install)
  • Full Body Matte White Vinyl Wrap (Except the roof and side mirrors)
  • M5 Mirrors (Replica and pending shipping. Wait is 2-3 weeks)
  • M5 Fenders with Gloss Black Grills (Replica)
  • Orion v2 Angel Eyes
  • Red Angel Eyes (Only comes on when dome lights come on. So it stays on after opening the car doors)
  • Bright white under car lights (Yes its ricey, but I like it and hooked them up to my dome lights so they come on only when I unlock/lock the car. Handy for parking in dark places lol).
  • Paint Rims Gloss Black
  • Hamann Front Lip (Replica)
  • White Calipers (Haven't Completed it yet)

I purchased most of the parts from Schmiedmann Sweden. They are very professional and shipping was fast since it was local for me. Customer service was great since I had to communicate in English as my Swedish isn't too good just yet. I got the front lip and Orion's from Umnitza. I was very happy with their customer service and shipping out such a large item to Sweden was awesome. For the Eisenmann exhaust I am getting it directly from Germany.

I'm sharing some pictures of the progress of the project and hope to get some time next weekend to finish up the remaining things on my list. Most I the photos I took was with my iPhone. Kinda wish I brought a real camera cause many ended up rather blurry. Could also be cause I don't know how to take pics with my iPhone.

First step was to remove the headlights.

Side skirts off

Removed the fenders

Front bumper goes bye bye

Rear lights and bumper goes off

In order to install the new rear bumper I needed to remove the electronic towing hitch. I was worried about this part as I couldn't find any solid info on how to remove it, however it ended up being pretty straight forward.

Now that most of the parts had been removed I spent some time working on the headlights since I wanted a few days for them to seal before going on the road with them.

Ran some tests on the red welcome lights.

Pic right after I sealed up the headlights. Since my theme would include gloss black I painted part of the headlights. Contemplated painting the eyebrows, however due to time constraints I just left them.

Before I started wrapping the car I wanted to get the painting out of the way. I first worked on the rims and added 2 coats of primer.

Ran out of space to add pics here. Will continue below.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:39 AM
Contributors

Adding some more progress pics...

Rims after a few coats of gloss black.

While working on the rims I painted the Hamann style lip.

Now that the painting was out of the way I started working on wrapping the car. This is the first time I have ever wrapped a car and learned a lot and will definitely take this knowledge when I change up the theme in the future. My first goal was to work on the longest part of the body.

Next, I worked on the doors. The front doors were a little annoying cause of the side mirrors. I really didn't want to take them off since I would have to do that once I change them up to the M5 replicas.

Front door completed.

New fenders put on and then wrapped.

Last part for the sides were the skirts.

Rear bumper was kinda hard. Not due to the shape but for it being so low. Hurt my back working on this part. I do have a problematic back though.

Here we have the rear skirt and trunk all done. I did not paint the diffuser. I ended up just vinyl wrapping it gloss black. I am still waiting on the trunk finisher.

Almost done. Next, was the front bumper. This was the hardest part for me. I really want to re-do this in the future. The top part was rather easy and I was feeling good. But the lower part with all the indention's was really hard. Need to get better at those areas.

More pics coming...
Old 07-31-2012, 11:46 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

- Antti -
Old 07-31-2012, 11:49 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 ★ Alpine White

very nice work... pretty clean way of masking your rims with a deck of cards
Old 07-31-2012, 12:00 PM
Contributors

The last part I worked on was the hood. This was by far the easiest part to work on. I did need another hand though to first get the vinyl on.

Now that the work was done I tossed in the headlights and took it out of the garage. This was actually hard cause my car was already dropped and now with the front lip on it was bound to scratch the surface on the way out. There is a rather steep drop at the entrance of this garage so I needed several 2 by 4s to help me out. It worked but will need to build a ramp next time I plan to work on the car since I need to easily get in/out of the hobby garage without a spotter.

I took a few pics right after getting out of the garage with the iPhone to test out the new lights...

Went directly home cause it was midnight and I was beat. The next day, the first thing I did was wash the car. Not because it was already dirty but because I wanted to test out the headlights to make sure they were sealed properly. I made sure to spray loads of water and since it was an indoor wash to bring up the humidity. Once that was done I went out to take some final pics of the progress thus far. You will notice I did not vinyl wrap the door handles and I plan on doing it but I ran out of time and I needed my daily driver back on the road for my upcoming week.

Now just waiting on the M5 replica mirrors and dual exhaust. Kinda wish they were already here but glad to finally have gotten most of this project completed.

Wanted to say thanks to the community as over the last few months I have learned a lot and all the information I needed to get the mods done I found via this site. This is an awesome community and glad I joined it.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:54 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 530i Mystic Blue

Car looks amazing. Congrats! Love the black and white contrast theme.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:11 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Absolutely fantastic!

Your first time wrapping and you wrapped the car in a day? Super impressive!
Old 07-31-2012, 01:22 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 528i Sapphire Black | Sport | Premium | STEPTRONIC | Xenon

Very impressive! Your car looks great, wait are you related to umichris?
Old 07-31-2012, 01:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

WOW looks awesome!!!!
Old 07-31-2012, 01:51 PM
Senior Members

wow amazing work done to that E60!

Quick Reply: Project ICE - Matte White E60