E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Why do so many people hate the M5?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 03:52 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh my word.
Now go back and look at those figures my son.
One will read BHP!!!!!! and one HP !!!! to diffrent units of measurments but very close to each other. some do not bother worrying about the change but in this case you do. and mate still come back down to earth cos you might die up there on pluto. cos thats how far out you are.

unless you go the route of internal engine modification you will not see a 67 hp gain from an n/a motor no matter how much you want it.
I hope im not over stepping my boundarys here. saying that. (directed at other forums members Not alex)
Old 08-03-2007, 11:28 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by The Parrot' post='454835' date='Aug 3 2007, 01:52 PM
unless you go the route of internal engine modification you will not see a 67 hp gain from an n/a motor no matter how much you want it.
If they will not be 67, will be 50 . No difference .
Anyway, with map and exhaust ---> Gained 0.3s on 0-100, 100-200 of 0.6 .

Now 0-100 in 5.5s, with a long second gear (120 kmh), that I will make shorter with a new ratio .
Do you want to bet something on my next 5.2s 0-100, with catalysts, headers, lsd and shorter gears ?

The M5 makes 4.8, lol, but only 5 times ... After say bye bye to the clutch

The steptronic 545i covers the 0-100 in 5.1s .

With a 5.0s 550i or a 5.2s 545i, is the M5 useless or not, with (almost) double consumption, more weight, double costs for service and less reability ?
Old 08-04-2007, 12:27 AM
Members

you really have no conecpt of what makes good 0-100 times it is not always down to the power but how it is ut down.
go get some understanding of what your doing before you quote rubbish thank you.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:01 AM
Members

both sides opinion are good.
I drive a M5 in city traffic daily, and yes the lack of torque in the low end is a let down.
Fuel consumption is bad.

But once I can find somewhere to stretch the legs of the M5, all the negatives aspect of the car is left behind. I love my car, I love the way it handles, the song of the engine. It is something a 545i or 550i can not provide. That is the difference between ///M cars and non-M.

But hey, I'm bringing out the popcorn, always love to see arguments
Old 08-14-2007, 05:14 AM
Members

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='455142' date='Aug 4 2007, 01:28 AM
If they will not be 67, will be 50 . No difference .
Anyway, with map and exhaust ---> Gained 0.3s on 0-100, 100-200 of 0.6 .

Now 0-100 in 5.5s, with a long second gear (120 kmh), that I will make shorter with a new ratio .
Do you want to bet something on my next 5.2s 0-100, with catalysts, headers, lsd and shorter gears ?

The M5 makes 4.8, lol, but only 5 times ... After say bye bye to the clutch

The steptronic 545i covers the 0-100 in 5.1s .

With a 5.0s 550i or a 5.2s 545i, is the M5 useless or not, with (almost) double consumption, more weight, double costs for service and less reability ?
Another troll with no idea of what he is talking about. Why don't you go somewhere else and post your fabrications. You are not contributing anything to this forum so do us a favor and leave.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i w/SMG - JetBlack - Dinan Software - Dinan Exhaust - Anthracite Trim - Anthracite Headliner - Sport Package

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='454828' date='Aug 3 2007, 04:32 AM
Pls turn on your brain : US specs BMW often have less HP than European .
And it is the case of 545i : 325 HP in US, 333 in EU .
Begin to mount serious parts and not a muffler by Dinan for $2000 (lol) and you will see how many HPs you will gain removing catalysts, change headers etc. on a modern engine developed to have 350 HP with strangled exhausts, catalysts, etc.
Anyway, my engine doesn't need your approval, to gain HPs .
But I want to be kind and if you still have doubts I can attach clips (0-100 and 100-200 kmh) that show the gained power, to you can download and open them with Quick Time Pro, to verify decimals .

Do you know why the European cars show a higher HP rating? Because the BMW's here is spec'ed for 91 octane fuel and SAE correction factors. NOT BECAUSE YOU HAVE SOMETHING DIFFERENT KID!!

The Dinan muffler, I paid for the sound and didnt care if it made my car faster!!!

I drive a 550 with mods and an M5 would kick my ASS at any RPM in any gear so to say that the 545 is "the best E60" is the dumbest and most unsupported claim on this board!!

Oh yeah and by the way you think that the headers, removing cats and ECU remap will show their power increase all at the same part of your power band to get you 400hp???

IF YOU GET 400HP BY REMOVING CATS, ADDING HEADERS AND AN ECU REMAP I WILL GIVE YOU MY DINAN EXHAUST AND PAY FOR THE SHIPPING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-14-2007, 03:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 530 Titanium Silver/Sexy black

Classic
Old 08-14-2007, 04:31 PM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Guys, let's keep this thread civilized, please.

I think it's pretty clear that:

Cost and practicality aside, the E60 M5 (stock) is a "better" and faster car than any other E60 (stock). I put "better" in quotes because that is, of course, a subjective judgment.

When you bring cost into the equation, strong arguments can be made that a 545 or 550 is a better deal in terms of bang for the buck. But bang for the buck is only one measure.

Also, I don't think anyone really "hates" the M5. I think that people who aren't loyal to BMW tried it out, and there are other vehicles out there that will best it in various categories. But for a high performance sedan, the M5 is one of the best cars out there. The 545 and 550 are also excellent high performance sedans.

I think part of the problem is that some Japanese makes are continuing to up the horsepower and overall performance, and people concerned with pure speed and drag racing at lights are starting to feel the pinch.

But there is no question that the M5, by any measure, is a world class high performance sedan, and one of the best all around cars out there. The M5 is a lot more than just the motor, but the 545/550 is also a great vehicle. Anything else comes down to personal preference.

But let's not make baiting statements that are clearly not true, or at least not provably true, like the 545 is "better" than the M5, or vice versa. If you PREFER the 545 over the M5, great. But there is no need to impose that view on others, and the same goes for the other way around, too.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:43 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

Originally Posted by das' post='458786' date='Aug 14 2007, 05:31 PM
Guys, let's keep this thread civilized, please.

I think it's pretty clear that:

Cost and practicality aside, the E60 M5 (stock) is a "better" and faster car than any other E60 (stock). I put "better" in quotes because that is, of course, a subjective judgment.

When you bring cost into the equation, strong arguments can be made that a 545 or 550 is a better deal in terms of bang for the buck. But bang for the buck is only one measure.

Also, I don't think anyone really "hates" the M5. I think that people who aren't loyal to BMW tried it out, and there are other vehicles out there that will best it in various categories. But for a high performance sedan, the M5 is one of the best cars out there. The 545 and 550 are also excellent high performance sedans.

I think part of the problem is that some Japanese makes are continuing to up the horsepower and overall performance, and people concerned with pure speed and drag racing at lights are starting to feel the pinch.

But there is no question that the M5, by any measure, is a world class high performance sedan, and one of the best all around cars out there. The M5 is a lot more than just the motor, but the 545/550 is also a great vehicle. Anything else comes down to personal preference.

But let's not make baiting statements that are clearly not true, or at least not provably true, like the 545 is "better" than the M5, or vice versa. If you PREFER the 545 over the M5, great. But there is no need to impose that view on others, and the same goes for the other way around, too.
well said
Old 08-20-2007, 12:17 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 E60 M5 Silverstone II full black leather (not extended) most UK options but no through loading sadly

Originally Posted by NeRwEEzy' post='458854' date='Aug 15 2007, 05:43 AM
well said

Me too, thanks for that das. It was all getting a bit unpleasant.

I love my M5, it is fine in traffic, the torque at low engine speeds is more than enough to keep up with ordinary traffic speed changes.
In fact the fuel consumption benefits greatly from this kind of driving, I have averaged 19.6 mpg overall for the first 7000 miles, this is a similar figure to my previous 645 Ci.

However the M button gives me a car which performs almost as well as my bike, in air conditioned comfort, and that soundtrack, excuse me I must go and have a drive.

The M5 is not a car you can really appreciate in a test drive, you tend to see its shortcomings without enjoying its advantages.
It is so versatile in its driving feel and response options it really takes a month or two to get the best from it.
It is easy to drive, but it is not easy to drive well.

PS I love cars full stop. But I would no more consider criticising someone else's choice than I would make critical remarks about their partner.
Choice of partner or car is at least partly an emotional one, logic tends to be suppressed to a surprising degree.

Quick Reply: Why do so many people hate the M5?