E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

"Watered Down Launch Control"

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 08:44 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 BMW E60 530 black/black '05 Porsche Cayene S Black/gold 05' BMW M5 05' Bentley CGT

yea i wuld still get the m5...prolly not going to use the LC that often anyways...
Old 11-20-2005, 08:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by m5lover' post='201287' date='Nov 21 2005, 12:44 AM
yea i wuld still get the m5...prolly not going to use the LC that often anyways...
Right, if you are not going to the strip, then you probably wouldn't use it too much. It's still sad that the US is "discriminated" against, and we are not made aware of the discrimination. Also, I'd hate to have a challenge race with an AMG and not have the LC maxed out.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:52 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by vnod' post='200677
no offence fellas, but

M5 IS NOT = LC

SMG on M5 has launch control (LC).

M5 E60 is a Ferrari KILLA and no MF Merz ever can grow up 2 it!!!

Not true in under all circumstances. MB's appear to be beating the M5's at the drags.

That car shall be also sold as the Ferraris to get that, you need to pass a course at track with the company...

Hummm.

M5 is a street luxury family saloon with the racecar inside... not a drag racer car, what ever AMG makes who the >>*>** CAREZZ????

Why not give the US market what the European market gets? Then, the M5 would be a better drag racer too. More is better in this case. I like MB's. I would not buy an M5 unless it is competitve with the MB's in its class in drag races, but that is my personal preference. If fact, it the M5 turns out not to be drag competitive with the MB's in its class, then I would buy an MB first. I like fast straight-line cars. I have a chance to use them. I CAREZZ, and lots of others do too.
Originally Posted by sixsticks' post='200455
I am also a little disappointed in the LC issue but LC does not in any way define the M5 in my opinion. It is a true road car with F1 pedigree. From any type of rolling start the Mercs are toast. Keep in mind that BMW built a engine and MB slapped a supercharger on one. With that said you can believe that some tuner will develop a chip to bring the LC up to european levels.

Thanks for your reply Reckamech/VNOD! Maybe I'll better tomorrow. I can't shake off this feeling that I have just been deceived by BMWNA. Most current owners of an E60 M5 bought their cars based on what the automotive journalist wrote about the M5. And of course BMWNA supplied them with cars equipped with european spec LC. They even gave you step by step instructions on how to operate LC.I do not remember anyone of those car magazines mention anything about a detuned LC. Remember, no one up to this point was able to test drive an M5 before making the decision to buy one. I guess the game plan of BMWNA is to keep quiet about this & hope the new owners will overlook this issue. The damage has been done! Merc 1, BMW 0.

SHAME ON YOU, BMWNA!!!
[/quote]I would feel the same way, but I am a straight-line acceleration guy--not that I don't like fast curves too. But, 99% of my driving in in straight lines and not fast curves. And, I would never take an M5 of mine on a track with curves. I also would be afraid to take on-the-edge chances with a $90K auto on the highway/country road/street curves. I think very, very few of us, and not me, would ever push an M5 to its limits. So, most of us could be just as happy with an MB--unless bragging rights are important. If I had an M5, then I would at least want to be able to tie the in-class MB's in drag races.
[/quote]
Typicaly american.
No wonder you have nascar as one of the most if not the most popuilar motorport competition.
You missunderstood ats.
The M5 is not all about LC (that's what he ment). Not like it doesn't have it.
I would still buy one. And btw doesn't the freqvent use of lc affect the warranty?
Old 11-21-2005, 05:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='201345
Originally Posted by ats77' post='200457' date='Nov 19 2005, 12:56 AM
no offence fellas, but

M5 IS NOT = LC

SMG on M5 has launch control (LC).

M5 E60 is a Ferrari KILLA and no MF Merz ever can grow up 2 it!!!

Not true in under all circumstances. MB's appear to be beating the M5's at the drags.

That car shall be also sold as the Ferraris to get that, you need to pass a course at track with the company...

Hummm.

M5 is a street luxury family saloon with the racecar inside... not a drag racer car, what ever AMG makes who the >>*>** CAREZZ????

Why not give the US market what the European market gets? Then, the M5 would be a better drag racer too. More is better in this case. I like MB's. I would not buy an M5 unless it is competitve with the MB's in its class in drag races, but that is my personal preference. If fact, it the M5 turns out not to be drag competitive with the MB's in its class, then I would buy an MB first. I like fast straight-line cars. I have a chance to use them. I CAREZZ, and lots of others do too.
Originally Posted by sixsticks' post='200455
I am also a little disappointed in the LC issue but LC does not in any way define the M5 in my opinion. It is a true road car with F1 pedigree. From any type of rolling start the Mercs are toast. Keep in mind that BMW built a engine and MB slapped a supercharger on one. With that said you can believe that some tuner will develop a chip to bring the LC up to european levels.

Thanks for your reply Reckamech/VNOD! Maybe I'll better tomorrow. I can't shake off this feeling that I have just been deceived by BMWNA. Most current owners of an E60 M5 bought their cars based on what the automotive journalist wrote about the M5. And of course BMWNA supplied them with cars equipped with european spec LC. They even gave you step by step instructions on how to operate LC.I do not remember anyone of those car magazines mention anything about a detuned LC. Remember, no one up to this point was able to test drive an M5 before making the decision to buy one. I guess the game plan of BMWNA is to keep quiet about this & hope the new owners will overlook this issue. The damage has been done! Merc 1, BMW 0.

SHAME ON YOU, BMWNA!!!
I would feel the same way, but I am a straight-line acceleration guy--not that I don't like fast curves too. But, 99% of my driving in in straight lines and not fast curves. And, I would never take an M5 of mine on a track with curves. I also would be afraid to take on-the-edge chances with a $90K auto on the highway/country road/street curves. I think very, very few of us, and not me, would ever push an M5 to its limits. So, most of us could be just as happy with an MB--unless bragging rights are important. If I had an M5, then I would at least want to be able to tie the in-class MB's in drag races.
[/quote]
Typicaly american.
No wonder you have nascar as one of the most if not the most popuilar motorport competition.
You missunderstood ats.
The M5 is not all about LC (that's what he ment). Not like it doesn't have it.
I would still buy one. And btw doesn't the freqvent use of lc affect the warranty?
[/quote]
I plead quilty of misunderstanding an easy to misinterpret sentence. In general, I find your post to be insulting and uncalled for. I said nothing offensive.

I don't know if favoring straight-line acceleration is typically American or not. And, I don't know if not wanting to wreck/trash a $90K car on curves, track or otherwise, is typically American either.

Most Americans on this board appear to forgive BMW's for any acceleration failures because they are excellent handling cars--even if they will never use the handling to the maximum. Apparently, bragging rights are important to many. I won't forgive BMW for acceleration failures because that, as opposed to handling, is what I will use to the maximum with frequency (although I would not use LC excessively). I think my reasoning is solid.

Any kind of frequent "abuse" of the car will affect its warranty. Gee, maybe BMW should not allow those of us in the US to use the 500 HP button or should make it just a 450 HP button.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:03 AM
Members

My Ride: Undecided 2006 530 or 550, undecided on tranmission either. 2002 Porsche 911 Coupe 2002 325i Premium, Xenon

I agree with you VNOD! I don't know where this "typical american" is coming from. But thanks for the proper reply!
Old 11-21-2005, 10:16 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sixsticks' post='201415' date='Nov 21 2005, 10:03 AM
I agree with you VNOD! I don't know where this "typical american" is coming from. But thanks for the proper reply!
You are very welcome ss.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:39 AM
Contributors

I would still buy one in heartbeat. I have only used the LC on my 545 three times, only cause I was interested in seeing what it did.

I could care less about the LC, does not help when carving through the mountains, or flying down the interstate.

If I want to drag race someone, I be on my motorcycle.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by CRRobert' post='201552' date='Nov 21 2005, 12:39 PM
If I want to drag race someone, I be on my motorcycle.

Oh ya? Seems like this guy on the bike had a hard time catching the car.

GOTTA watch it!

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=18779

Old 11-21-2005, 01:10 PM
Contributors

oops
Old 11-21-2005, 08:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Yes, the Euro version LC would be awesome. !
I'd love to have it on my 545i.

However, I don't see it being used all that much.
I've tried it on occasion on my ride more as a novelty and occasionally as a spectacle due to the fact that the 545 doesn't have a limited slip ... (here I go again...).

The M5 more than any is far beyond just straight line accelleration.
If that's all you are looking for then there are many other cars to consider including the E55 (and upcoming E65), etc.

Even with the watered down LC, I'd surely take one (especially if given to me)

Quick Reply: "Watered Down Launch Control"