E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

"Watered Down Launch Control"

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 09:44 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by realtyman' post='201804' date='Nov 22 2005, 12:03 AM
The M5 more than any is far beyond just straight line accelleration.
If that's all you are looking for then there are many other cars to consider including the E55 (and upcoming E65), etc.
I am trying to understand. It seems to me that all the expensive German cars, including the Mercs, are about more than just acceleration. OK, perhaps the M5 is better on curves than the Mercs, but it is very close at least some of the time. For example, on the test track Evo uses, the M5 got around the course in 1.29.95, while the SLK55 AMG and SL600 got around in 1.29.30 and 129.95. So, why do so many of us talk about the M5 being about way more than acceleration as though the Mercs also are not about way more than acceleration? I know I am comparing cars in different classes, but don't the Mercs that are more in the M5's general class (e.g., the E55) handle reasonably well too? I wonder what the E55's time might have been on the Evo test track.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:05 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood Trim, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Electric Rear Sunshades, Heated Rear Seats, Sirius Radio

In 3 years of ownership I have never used the launch control on my M3. You only have a very limited number for the lifetime of the car anyway, and the occasion has just never arisen. I have occasionally turned off DSC and put the pedal to the floor while at a dead stop. Then all hell breaks loose.

I personally love the new M5 but am biding my time for the e90 M3. I would be thrilled to own either one of these incredible machines.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:20 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by darkside' post='201938' date='Nov 22 2005, 06:05 AM
In 3 years of ownership I have never used the launch control on my M3. You only have a very limited number for the lifetime of the car anyway, and the occasion has just never arisen. I have occasionally turned off DSC and put the pedal to the floor while at a dead stop. Then all hell breaks loose.

I personally love the new M5 but am biding my time for the e90 M3. I would be thrilled to own either one of these incredible machines.
If you're in the U.S., then launch control doesn't do much. A launch at 1800rpm is pretty much the same as stomping on the gas. I have a zcp m3 that is barely broken in and I think I've tried LC at least 5 times. With the non-euro version of LC, there's no need to worry about warranty.

If you've had the m3 for a couple of years, then you might have a few different modes, such as burnout mode versus launch mode. You should really give it a try sometime, just for fun. Launching with a regular manual or just giving a fast start allows for so much control, might as well see how SMG compares is this area.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:40 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by vnod' post='201827' date='Nov 21 2005, 10:44 PM
I am trying to understand. It seems to me that all the expensive German cars, including the Mercs, are about more than just acceleration. OK, perhaps the M5 is better on curves than the Mercs, but it is very close at least some of the time. For example, on the test track Evo uses, the M5 got around the course in 1.29.95, while the SLK55 AMG and SL600 got around in 1.29.30 and 129.95. So, why do so many of us talk about the M5 being about way more than acceleration as though the Mercs also are not about way more than acceleration? I know I am comparing cars in different classes, but don't the Mercs that are more in the M5's acceleration class (e.g., the E55) handle reasonably well too? I wonder what the E55's time might have been on the Evo test track.
I don't think it's fair to compare the SLK and the SL to any type of e60, but from all accounts the driving dynamics of the e55 pale in comparison to a sports equipped e60, let alone a m5. I'd readily assume the times would not be that close, but even if they are, the on road manners and driving characteristics would surely be distinct. Acceleration times are one thing, but not sure what the deal with track times are, since the m5 is still a four door saloon with plenty of sport. The m5 could surely do well at the track, but if one is going to regularly go to the track, it would make sense go with something else.

If your main interest is in straight line acceleration, then an AMG equipped car would seem to be a better fit versus a M5. I mean no offense to this, just that mods would go a bit further, it would arguably be more luxurious and something like a CLS55 just looks so much better
Old 11-22-2005, 08:09 AM
Senior Members

Old 11-22-2005, 12:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by heezy545i' post='201951
I am trying to understand. It seems to me that all the expensive German cars, including the Mercs, are about more than just acceleration. OK, perhaps the M5 is better on curves than the Mercs, but it is very close at least some of the time. For example, on the test track Evo uses, the M5 got around the course in 1.29.95, while the SLK55 AMG and SL600 got around in 1.29.30 and 129.95. So, why do so many of us talk about the M5 being about way more than acceleration as though the Mercs also are not about way more than acceleration? I know I am comparing cars in different classes, but don't the Mercs that are more in the M5's acceleration class (e.g., the E55) handle reasonably well too? I wonder what the E55's time might have been on the Evo test track.
I don't think it's fair to compare the SLK and the SL to any type of e60, but from all accounts the driving dynamics of the e55 pale in comparison to a sports equipped e60, let alone a m5.

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I indicated that the cars are in different classes. Still, we claim that the M5 is a race car in disquise. So, despite the different classes, I think the comparison actually is fine. And, the M5 does very well in the comparison so it should not be embarassed.

I'd readily assume the times would not be that close, but even if they are, the on road manners and driving characteristics would surely be distinct.

Right, that is what everyone assumes. But, I am looking for data. I'd like to have more info. I have a comparison test from Kraft-Ausdr?cke. This mag shows the following for a test circuit and the slalom, respectively.

Handling/Test Circuit (min/sec): M5--1:43.3 CLS55 AMG--1:44.9
Slalom (km/h): M5--66.7 CLS55 AMG--64.3

Now, the CLS55 AMG, in relation to the M5, has only 476 HP, only a 5-speed transmission, carries about 300 more lbs., and costs (published) $98,880. Thus, it looks like MB is doing OK on handling in relation to the M5, with a class comparable car, and seems like it too is "about more than just acceleration." And, the CLS55 is likely to at least match the M5 in acceleration (see the topic "Our Fearless Forecasts"). For example, MT (a fairly conservative mag), in a 7/05, test shows 0-60 in 4.4 and the 1/4 in/at 12.6/114.4 for the CLS55.

Similarly, a 2003 MT test deals with the E55 AMG; its tests yield: 0-60 in 4.2 and the 1/4 in/at 12.39/116.21. Given these observations, I would be surprised if the E55 would not do reasonably well against the M5 in track times. And, note that the E55 weighs about 154 lbs less than the M5. Also, the E55 AMG (2004), in relation to the M5 has only 469 HP and only a 5-speed transmission. Its published cost was $76,720 in 2003. This test also showed the following for the Audi RS 6 and the E55, respectively: 600-ft slalom (mph) 67.8 and 66.5. Thus, the E55 acquitted itself reasonably well in relation to the RS 6. Again, while the E55 may not handle as well as the M5, I think it is fair to conlude that the MB is "about more than just acceleration." Unforutunately, I have no current data showing a direct comparison of the track times of the M5 and the E55.

You say that even if the tract time of the E55 and the M5 are the same, then "the on road manners and driving characteristics would surely be distinct." Your supposition very well may be true. However, then the choice between the handling characteristics of the two cars would be personal perference and not because the M5 is "about way more than acceleration."

Acceleration times are one thing, but not sure what the deal with track times are, since the m5 is still a four door saloon with plenty of sport. The m5 could surely do well at the track, but if one is going to regularly go to the track, it would make sense go with something else.

There won't be any track time for me in any expensive car I own; that's part of my point. I won't be pushing any expensive car to its handling limits on the track or the street. And, I don't think that those who argue that the M5 is "about way more than acceleration" will be doing so either. Thus, I doubt that it would matter to very few of us handling-wise if we were driving an M5, a CLS55 AMG, or an E55 AMG. Handling-wise the issue would reduce to personal preference as discussed above.

If your main interest is in straight line acceleration, then an AMG equipped car would seem to be a better fit versus a M5. I mean no offense to this, just that mods would go a bit further, it would arguably be more luxurious and something like a CLS55 just looks so much better

I agree. Given two equally priced, equally attractive, equally high-quality, and other things equal cars such that: (1) the first car is slightly faster accelerating and slightly slower in curves and (2) the other car is vice versa, I will take the faster accelerating car--no matter what its brand name. For me, this decision would be purely practical. For various reasons, I would be able to utilize the acceleration of the quicker car to the max with some frequency, but I never would use the cornering ability of either of the cars to their maxes. In this regard, I drive straight lines and city curves 99% of the time and would not trust myself to test the maximum cornering abilities of expensive cars on the street or the track.

[/quote]
Old 11-22-2005, 12:33 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Stealthblue' post='202027' date='Nov 22 2005, 12:09 PM
~0{;^)
Old 11-24-2005, 01:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Cars:2011 - BMW F11 535i, Alpine White, Msport version2009 - MINI COOPER, Mellow Yellow2007 - BMW E61 LCI 530i, Space Gray, Msport version - SOLD2006 - MINI COOPER, Park Lane Version - SOLD2005 - BMW E61 525i, Titan Silver, Msport version - SOLD2003
Model Year: 2012

Originally Posted by sixsticks' post='200356' date='Nov 18 2005, 08:01 PM
Hello to everyone! I just read about this detuned LC a few minutes ago & I'm really very disappointed at BMWNA. I changed my order from a 550 to an M5 to be delivered next month & one of my reasons for changing aside from the 500hp was the opportunity to experience LC. It leaves an empty feeling right now. Its like riding a triple crown winner with 1000 lbs as a handicap so it wouldn't go really fast. Maybe I'm overreacting but if your car can't even go toe to toe with an E55 AMG then what's the point. I told my SA that if I want to drag race an E55, I would have to go home park the M5 & take out the 911. I think its stupid! I have or "had" a very high expectation of the M5, enough that I thinking of getting rid of my 911. But now I'm having second thoughts.

HELP!!! I need someone to restore my faith on the M5 especially those who already took delivery of their M5. I know the M5 is more than just LC but I need your opinion on this matter. Thanks again!
What I can see from this video is that M5 bits E55 in a drag race.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53394