E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Used 06 M5.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 03:38 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 09 M5 (E60) Interlagos blue, Silverstone interior, with cold weather package. Adaptive Xenon headlamps and adaptive brake lights, hud, comfort access. Comfort seats, basically fully loaded.
Thumbs up

i've always had 5 series couple generations.. got a 04 e60 530i at the moment... I am almost done making a deal with this dealer for a used 06 M5 w/ 51k miles that is fully loaded (heads up dp, heated rear and front seats, adpative headlamps etc) for 37000 dollars before taxes.. Do you guys know if 06 has any issues that i should be aware about? i am getting a good deal... i guess.?.. what do you guys think?... Car is in mint condition?.. I've never been close to an M5, so how can i tell by a test drive whether the smg is good condition?... Please tell me whether the price is right? and also whether the newer models are better than an 06?
Old 01-25-2010, 06:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 E60 M5 (Sepang Bronze/Natural Brown) Eisenmann Exhaust with Miesterchaft Sections 1 & 2 Evosport Headers Evosport Pulley RPi Scoops & Block Off Plates with BMC Filters Eibach Pro-Kit Springs 20" Breyton Race CS in Polished Silver

Try to find a newer model 2007 or over if you can afford to. And make sure it is still under warranty.
The SMG should not judder when easing off, the shifts should be smooth and not clunky. Pay for them to check the clutch & flywheel now rather than have to pay for a new one later.

The price is about right for a 2006 with that mileage.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:28 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Did you ask if the car was a lemon buy back? Usually low priced 2006s are lemon buy backs due to SMG problems that the supposedly fixed and auction the car back.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 M5 (E60) Interlagos blue, Silverstone interior, with cold weather package. Adaptive Xenon headlamps and adaptive brake lights, hud, comfort access. Comfort seats, basically fully loaded.

Thanx for the help guys.. i really appreciate your inputs. I've heard that the late production of 06 M's are better than the earlier ones.. This one the production date was 05/2006. Would this be the late production? and yes it shifts smooth from paddle shifters but in auto mode where it changes gears itself, it feels like the car slows down itself when u let go of the gas paddle and also the gears take longer to change?... Maybe dats normal, i dun even know what those buttons next to the gear box do?.. could u guys plz tell me? and i wish i could afford an 07.. I really can't.. If i drive this like a grandpa.. Would it last me a good while?.. Thanx in advance..
Kevin
Old 01-26-2010, 08:45 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Shezmon
Thanx for the help guys.. i really appreciate your inputs. I've heard that the late production of 06 M's are better than the earlier ones.. This one the production date was 05/2006. Would this be the late production? and yes it shifts smooth from paddle shifters but in auto mode where it changes gears itself, it feels like the car slows down itself when u let go of the gas paddle and also the gears take longer to change?... Maybe dats normal, i dun even know what those buttons next to the gear box do?.. could u guys plz tell me? and i wish i could afford an 07.. I really can't.. If i drive this like a grandpa.. Would it last me a good while?.. Thanx in advance..
Kevin
- A mid 2006 build car is better than a late 2005 build car.
- I hate driving in D mode. I've done it only about 3 times and didn't like it. It shifts unexpectedly to me so I prefer to do manual shifting via the paddles.
- There are several buttons by the shifter:
1) Power button changes from P400 to P500 mode
2) Traction control button to change DSC/DTC settings on or off
3) EDC, electronic damping control button to change between comfort, normal and sport
4) Shift setting button to program shift speeds from S1 to S6. You can only get S6 if you disable traction control.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:15 AM
Senior Members

I have an February 06 Build m5... and have experienced some rougher shifting at times.. I had the dealer check it out quickly and they had advised that nothing is wrong.

Will the dealers do anythign for these 05-06 build cars with SMG to insure that the problems will get better for the SMG? I have 5 days left in my warranty and just emailed the manager to get my car looked at again.

is there anything they will do to correct this problem?!?!?!? HELP!
Old 01-26-2010, 09:17 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Aartsy19
I have an February 06 Build m5... and have experienced some rougher shifting at times.. I had the dealer check it out quickly and they had advised that nothing is wrong.

Will the dealers do anythign for these 05-06 build cars with SMG to insure that the problems will get better for the SMG? I have 5 days left in my warranty and just emailed the manager to get my car looked at again.

is there anything they will do to correct this problem?!?!?!? HELP!
As far as I know, there's nothing that BMW has done across the board for these early M5s to correct the SMG issues. If the problem was big enough, I think it would have been a recall item. The only thing I noticed is that it seems like a lot of the SMG issues are related to the SMG pump.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:19 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan
As far as I know, there's nothing that BMW has done across the board for these early M5s to correct the SMG issues. If the problem was big enough, I think it would have been a recall item. The only thing I noticed is that it seems like a lot of the SMG issues are related to the SMG pump.
Did you buy aftermarket warranty on your 06 m5?

I need to make a decision asap on warranty... im up in the air.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:21 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Aartsy19
Did you buy aftermarket warranty on your 06 m5?

I need to make a decision asap on warranty... im up in the air.
Yes I did Jon. I was in the same boat as you and decided to buy an ext warranty with only 90 miles left on my original warranty. I got one from Easy Care through my dealer. About $3100 for an additional 3yrs/36K miles.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:24 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan
Yes I did Jon. I was in the same boat as you and decided to buy an ext warranty with only 90 miles left on my original warranty. I got one from Easy Care through my dealer. About $3100 for an additional 3yrs/36K miles.
How is this easy care?.. Have they covered anything yet?.. ne good/bad experiences? and is your's an o6 also? did you ever have/had ne problems? I'm in NYC i'll have to ask my dealer whether which warranty to buy?

Quick Reply: Used 06 M5.