E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Trim Defects/Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 04:45 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seemed to run into alot of minor problems with my M in regards to trim details. Has anyone dealt or had any of these problems as well?!?!?!

My examples;

1) The door trim (all 4 doors) around the window turns into an almost gasoline look after a few car washs and rains ( the dealer tells me this is a ongoing problem and that BMW will not replace the peieces anymore with painted pieces, but rather the flat black peices) i think that will look like shit.. so i keep getting them to clean them/buff.(twice now)

2) Trim around steering wheel (M button, volume buttons). The finish on the bottom of these triangular pieces began to peel off. (The dealer told me this was because of hand products that i have been using and that whats causing the problems.) I told them to pound salt, im not a braud that puts cream on my hands every day. They replaced them.

3) My rims (Stock 166's). I have been noticing that towards the ceneter of the spoke, the finish becomes like a whitish look, as if the finish is wearing off or coming off.. I brought this up to the dealer and they seem very shaky about replacing them, or doing anything about it. There is newly acquired M5 for sale there for them, 28000kMiles on it.. so i checked it out last night. NO White look, no finish coming off.. SO IM PISSED. You can really see the white specs on the rims in the pictures

4) The cigarette ash tray. Beside the sliding ash tray the aluminum finish piece seems to move quite a bit... i just noticed this today.. but it may because i use my ipod Belkin adapter in there all the time and has jarred something loose.. I am very anal with regards to my attention to detail.. so im glad i saw this. Picture is crappy sorry but i am pointing to the area that moves.

5) Lastly my horn, Im guessing there are two parts to the horn to make the full sound... because right now im rolling around with a horn that sounds like its off a gremlin.

Please feel free to comment and advise!!!

Thanks Guys,

Aartsy
Attached Thumbnails Trim Defects/Warranty-steering_wheel_compressed.jpg   Trim Defects/Warranty-dash_compressed.jpg   Trim Defects/Warranty-wheel_compressed.jpg   Trim Defects/Warranty-closeup_wheel_compressed.jpg  
Old 10-13-2009, 04:05 AM
Senior Members

Angry

No posts.. weak
Old 10-14-2009, 11:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04 525i sport, premium, winter, xenon. xm satellite radio, navwithtv dvd system, 1 jl 10w7 sub powered by xtant 1001x amp. 20x8.5/10 on nitto nt555 rubber. acs roof and decklid spoiler, breyton front spoiler.

Originally Posted by Aartsy19' post='1031189' date='Oct 13 2009, 07:05 AM
No posts.. weak
My steering wheel trim is peeling bad too but I'm gonna hold off until my next service to replace it. Your dealer is a dumbass this is a common problem on the M steering wheel. Hand cream I don't have any of the other problems though
Old 10-14-2009, 11:48 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Originally Posted by Aartsy19' post='1025762' date='Oct 6 2009, 07:45 AM
im not a braud that puts cream on my hands every day. They replaced them.
Your hands?
Old 10-14-2009, 04:36 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 M5 Black Sapphire on Black with Walnut Madeira Wood

Originally Posted by Aartsy19' post='1025762' date='Oct 6 2009, 08:45 AM
I have seemed to run into alot of minor problems with my M in regards to trim details. Has anyone dealt or had any of these problems as well?!?!?!

My examples;

1) The door trim (all 4 doors) around the window turns into an almost gasoline look after a few car washs and rains ( the dealer tells me this is a ongoing problem and that BMW will not replace the peieces anymore with painted pieces, but rather the flat black peices) i think that will look like shit.. so i keep getting them to clean them/buff.(twice now)

2) Trim around steering wheel (M button, volume buttons). The finish on the bottom of these triangular pieces began to peel off. (The dealer told me this was because of hand products that i have been using and that whats causing the problems.) I told them to pound salt, im not a braud that puts cream on my hands every day. They replaced them.

3) My rims (Stock 166's). I have been noticing that towards the ceneter of the spoke, the finish becomes like a whitish look, as if the finish is wearing off or coming off.. I brought this up to the dealer and they seem very shaky about replacing them, or doing anything about it. There is newly acquired M5 for sale there for them, 28000kMiles on it.. so i checked it out last night. NO White look, no finish coming off.. SO IM PISSED. You can really see the white specs on the rims in the pictures

4) The cigarette ash tray. Beside the sliding ash tray the aluminum finish piece seems to move quite a bit... i just noticed this today.. but it may because i use my ipod Belkin adapter in there all the time and has jarred something loose.. I am very anal with regards to my attention to detail.. so im glad i saw this. Picture is crappy sorry but i am pointing to the area that moves.

5) Lastly my horn, Im guessing there are two parts to the horn to make the full sound... because right now im rolling around with a horn that sounds like its off a gremlin.

Please feel free to comment and advise!!!

Thanks Guys,

Aartsy

I had the same problems with the steering wheel, they should replaced the trim under warrenty.

As for the Wheel/Rim I have the same problem where it becomes white towards the center...

Also I have on the control arm on the left side hearing rattles as when the car vibrates or goes under a bump.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:52 AM
Senior Members

BMW has replaced the steering wheel problem under warranty. The BMW rep is coming to the local dealership in the next few days to look at my rims and advise on what they will do. Hopefully refinish them BLACK!

As for the side pillar pieces, im told this is a problem on ALL M5's and 7 series' and BMW has done nothing to fix or replace these pieces other then replace them with the plastic flat black looking pieces..
WEAK!

Aartsy
Old 10-20-2009, 12:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 M5 - Interlagos Blue / SMG / Black Perforated Merino / Fully Loaded!!

My steering wheel trim is also peeling and I too have the rattling in the control arm on the left... it gets quite
annoying at times... has anyone had this changed at the dealer?
Old 10-20-2009, 03:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by CWS530' post='1032330' date='Oct 14 2009, 12:48 PM
Your hands?
Don't you just LOVE ambiguity??!!
Old 10-20-2009, 11:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 BMW ///M5 V10

I had the steering trim peeling as well. Got that replaced under warranty.

Also, the specs on the wheels are likely due to a very harsh and abrasive chemical wheel cleaner which has caused parts of the finish to deteriorate.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:16 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JOHN' post='1032318' date='Oct 14 2009, 03:35 PM
My steering wheel trim is peeling bad too but I'm gonna hold off until my next service to replace it. Your dealer is a dumbass this is a common problem on the M steering wheel. Hand cream I don't have any of the other problems though

You say "common Problem"

What other problems are common? I have 2 months of warranty left and i want as much shit fixed.

Quick Reply: Trim Defects/Warranty