E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

test-drove M5.. now i feel so bad

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 02:42 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 700700' post='215759' date='Dec 26 2005, 08:25 PM
Had a little test drive of a car meant for a customer, with 2100 on the clock,
it was a demo car that they are selling with 15% of MSRP ... Anyways i feel really
bad cause i drove it for half an hour and 90% of the time the engine was above 6000rpm,
just kept flooring it...

Also did three LCs

Anyways , an absolute charm of a car, handling is great, power delivery is very disappointing
compared to thr E55 amg (tuned to 565bhp though!), but similar to my e46 m3 (in the way that power
comes at the top of the rev band, obviously this thing is much quicker) ... Great cornering,
great brakes (no problems with fading)...

Oh and the side bolsters

BUT i would not buy this car, as it is very unpractical and certainly needs you to push it very hard
in order to squeeze every ounce of performance on it, not that im dissing it but its simply not what
i hoped the new m5 would be...

Now its a choice between e55/550i/535d
Whatever you do stay in the BMW club. If i were to aim high i would aim directly at the m5 not minding the 550i. After all there ain't too much difference between the 550i's mpg and the m5's. I mean come on if you want the petrol, why not buy the best there is? The 535d is the best compromise of performance/mpg, not to mention that especially this type of e60 smokes almost everything in city drive where the 560NM really shows as the biggest advantage + 2 turbos meaning no lag and 5000rpm to explore. And it's a diesel. LOL
I love my car...but i love more the beast the m5 is. Maybe over 3 years when i finish my lease i'll get an M. E90 M3 sounds the best option for me. I'll just have to wait and see the looks/performance figures.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:32 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 535d

About your choice, the 535d is absolutely fantastic, trust me!
Old 12-27-2005, 08:36 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by vnod' post='215797
BUT i would not buy this car, as it is very unpractical and certainly needs you to push it very hard
in order to squeeze every ounce of performance on it, not that im dissing it but its simply not what
I am concerned about this issue. Am I inferring correctly that the issue you are raising is the engine's relatively small amount of torque given 500 HP--great on a track, but a tad problematic on the street???
[/quote]

quite so , i am quite used to the way the m3 has power progressively through the rev band but after some modifications max torque comes at 3600RPM not 4900RPM for the car. Anyways i do NOT expect that people would be buying an M5 to drive it slowly or moderately, and in this regard i am disappointed simply because the engine requires a lot of trashing to get you going very fast , and i am very worried about the shelf-life of internal component in an engine that is going to be revved so high on so many occasions....

As for purchasing an m5, i would love to but with a 745li/x5 3.0d/and a 330i it all seems to be a bit over the top for me... Not impossible but simply i think that for what the m5 offers its overpriced....

Besides i am not Schumacher , i dont go to race (there are no race tracks in Bulgaria) ... all i do is drag on the streets so handling isnt very important on my list...

Just to give you a clue on how much this car would cost me imported (12000km)

m5: 97000euro
e55 amg: 72000euro
535d (brand new) 66000euro

And thats a BIG difference IMO, a friend has a tuned e55 (see top post) with Kleemann LSD , and 18inch back alloys with racing sleeks . The car produces 565bhp and 830Nm at 2400RPM and it easily beasts a chipped derestricted M5 (530bhp) every time. Including with me in the merc...

Anyways sorry about the rant, overall AMAZING car, pity about the build quality (one of the wood panels next to the wheel fell of, and the front right seat was rattling) and the excessively high price

Originally Posted by cidair' post='215870' date='Dec 27 2005, 09:25 AM
But, the M5 is for involved drivers who like to play with all the settings and buttons.

conflict of opinion IMO as an involved driver would want anything BUT to press 5 buttons to get
the car going
Old 12-27-2005, 02:04 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 700700' post='215984
Originally Posted by 700700' post='215759' date='Dec 26 2005, 08:25 PM
I am concerned about this issue. Am I inferring correctly that the issue you are raising is the engine's relatively small amount of torque given 500 HP--great on a track, but a tad problematic on the street???
quite so , i am quite used to the way the m3 has power progressively through the rev band but after some modifications max torque comes at 3600RPM not 4900RPM for the car. Anyways i do NOT expect that people would be buying an M5 to drive it slowly or moderately, and in this regard i am disappointed simply because the engine requires a lot of trashing to get you going very fast , and i am very worried about the shelf-life of internal component in an engine that is going to be revved so high on so many occasions....

As for purchasing an m5, i would love to but with a 745li/x5 3.0d/and a 330i it all seems to be a bit over the top for me... Not impossible but simply i think that for what the m5 offers its overpriced....

Besides i am not Schumacher , i dont go to race (there are no race tracks in Bulgaria) ... all i do is drag on the streets so handling isnt very important on my list...

Just to give you a clue on how much this car would cost me imported (12000km)

m5: 97000euro
e55 amg: 72000euro
535d (brand new) 66000euro

And thats a BIG difference IMO, a friend has a tuned e55 (see top post) with Kleemann LSD , and 18inch back alloys with racing sleeks . The car produces 565bhp and 830Nm at 2400RPM and it easily beasts a chipped derestricted M5 (530bhp) every time. Including with me in the merc...

Anyways sorry about the rant, overall AMAZING car, pity about the build quality (one of the wood panels next to the wheel fell of, and the front right seat was rattling) and the excessively high price

Originally Posted by cidair' post='215870' date='Dec 27 2005, 09:25 AM
But, the M5 is for involved drivers who like to play with all the settings and buttons.

conflict of opinion IMO as an involved driver would want anything BUT to press 5 buttons to get
the car going
[/quote]
Then get the merc. The onky thing the e55 knows is to drag. That's it. Go for it. But don't be amaized then when an m5 shoots by with a mindblowing-orgasmic noise of 8000rpm.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Pkorkis' post='215868' date='Dec 27 2005, 04:22 AM
my brother just got an M5, and the car is unbelievable. I've been in a Cayanne Turbo modded to 600+, a Ruf Turbo, SC'd 350z 7psi, and a 911 Turbo, and I have to say that the M5 is probably the best experience I've had as a passenger. The car chirps between 2nd & 3rd so I don't really know how much more pull you want. The M5 is the perfect mix between beauty and brawn in my opinion. I can't say anything as far as driving it where as you can, but I can't imagine it not being amazing see as to how I couldn't keep the grin off my face when my body was being shot back into the seat as the tires chirped in between 2nd & 3rd gear. I guess if its not enough for you, try the z06, not exactly the best interior compared to a bmw, but it will do the torque trick for you.
Am I "you"? The pull you speak of is at high rpm. That's not as much of an issue. I am talking about low torque especially at low rpm; that's where I might find the M5 to be disappointing. I have a Z06--assuming your were replying to me??? Check my sig. But, its "only" and 02. The interior actually is very nice. I think it is competitive with my 545i interior-wise even though the mags always knock the Z06 interior--which has always been a mystery to me. Now, the new Z06, well, it's a monster.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:56 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by vnod' post='216072
my brother just got an M5, and the car is unbelievable. I've been in a Cayanne Turbo modded to 600+, a Ruf Turbo, SC'd 350z 7psi, and a 911 Turbo, and I have to say that the M5 is probably the best experience I've had as a passenger. The car chirps between 2nd & 3rd so I don't really know how much more pull you want. The M5 is the perfect mix between beauty and brawn in my opinion. I can't say anything as far as driving it where as you can, but I can't imagine it not being amazing see as to how I couldn't keep the grin off my face when my body was being shot back into the seat as the tires chirped in between 2nd & 3rd gear. I guess if its not enough for you, try the z06, not exactly the best interior compared to a bmw, but it will do the torque trick for you.
Am I "you"? The pull you speak of is at high rpm. That's not as much of an issue. I am talking about low torque especially at low rpm; that's where I might find the M5 to be disappointing. I have a Z06--assuming your were replying to me??? Check my sig. But, its "only" and 02. The interior actually is very nice. I think it is competitive with my 545i interior-wise even though the mags always knock the Z06 interior--which has always been a mystery to me. Now, the new Z06, well, it's a monster.
[/quote]

You say you find the M5 to be disappointing? Not sure if you've driven an E60 M5, but if not, you should. We can read all day what the test drives say, and how the dyno charts look, but if you haven't actually driven a car, it's moot in my opinion. Yes, low end torque isn't like a W211 E55 (then again, not many are!), but the engine is so free-revving that you aren't down there very often. Go for a test drive and let us know what you think!
Old 12-27-2005, 04:32 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='216054

sorry it took so long to reply but yes i know what you mean, my m3 with modded ignition timings/smg software and ecu recalibration always spun at 2nd at 7700-8000rpm, it is a great feeling. Strangely enough
i didnt see that in the e60 although i wasnt allowed to use the most aggressive smg setting (during driving, only was allowed to use it on the imporvised test track)
Old 12-27-2005, 08:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by stream' post='216080
Originally Posted by Pkorkis' post='215868' date='Dec 27 2005, 04:22 AM
You say you find the M5 to be disappointing? Not sure if you've driven an E60 M5, but if not, you should. We can read all day what the test drives say, and how the dyno charts look, but if you haven't actually driven a car, it's moot in my opinion. Yes, low end torque isn't like a W211 E55 (then again, not many are!), but the engine is so free-revving that you aren't down there very often. Go for a test drive and let us know what you think!
[/quote] No I didn't say I find it to be disappointing. I said that I think I might find its lack of torque at low rpm to be disappointing.

And, I already agreed previously with everything marked in orange above. Also, I didn't say anything at all about what's marked in green. Without having driven the car, I am sure that I would find it very impressive if I did--except maybe for the low rpm torque thing that I mentioned.

And, a test drive of an M5 would be pointless for me, except to see if I liked the car in general, because I would never beat on a not-broken-in car that will be owned by someone else even it the dealer would let me. In this regard, I would not beat on a car I did not own even if I planned to buy it--as with my Z06. I knew what a Z06 would do without beating on one--so my test drive involved only driving mine home carefully to make sure I liked its general feel and to make sure it would negotiate my sloped driveway comfortably. I knew that neither low, middle, or high rpm torque would be a problem with my Z06 without beating on it until it was broken in--500 miles.

I am on your side about BMW's in general. And, while I am not saying that you are, I am just not ga ga (i.e., ) over any car simply because it says BMW. The M5, like any car, has its pluses and minuses.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Aluminum Cube Trim, M Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, Head Up Display, Steptronic, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Through Load, Park Distance Control, Navigation , HK Logic 7, etc

Don you definitely are one informed dude
Old 12-28-2005, 06:41 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Trev550i' post='216242' date='Dec 28 2005, 05:58 AM
Don you definitely are one informed dude
Thank you for the compliment Trev. But, frequently I am one uninformed dud.

Quick Reply: test-drove M5.. now i feel so bad