E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Sort of a Bummer

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 05:56 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='222372
Evo is a respected and respectable publication. Just because you do or don't like their conclusion isn't grounds for accusing them of being on the take. FWIW I've yet to see a review of the Ford GT that didn't make the comment that it is indeed an "everyday supercar" (if that isn't an oxymoron), the GT has beaten Ferraris in many tests. There's no shame whatsoever in the M5 losing out to the Ford GT, and tests like this typically don't pay regard to price/value...
Test numbers are fairly objective, but when it comes to "best of..." and "driver's . . ." I think that it is out to the subjective criteria that each magazine, testers and editors, for that matter, to be more subjective than objective. It can then boil down to particular model and mode. There's just too much room for subjectivity in "best of . . " and "driver's. Some mags will throw in the test numbers and make you believe that their finally "best of.. ." "driver's . . " are objective. Bull.

There were few, if any, test numbers in the evo piece. It was virtually totally subjective. But, that is fine to me. I like to hear the opinions and about the rank-order voting of seasoned auto intimates.

Originally Posted by Znod' post='222298' date='Jan 10 2006, 04:33 PM
Low end torque, high end torque, damn, I'll be luck to own anything close it it. All I have is a 545i, and it's probably nothing compared to the E55 or M5. So I say to all:

Duke it out. I'm on the sidelines.

You need your supercharger. I'll duke it out with them with my old Z06.

As for the mags and their "opinion," I read for entertainment because somebody always works for somebody when it comes down to "best of XXX."

Yep, someone always is taking, and someone always is buying the takers. Not me and you and some others though.
In performance, I would get more hp for less $$ compared to E55 and/or M5. "Bang for my buck," now there's another category that auto mags like to do, which is flawed. Whose to say that my supercharger won't cost more to fix (or cause other related problems) than an M5 or E55 2 years down the road? While it cost me $9K for the supercharger, it may not be "bang for my buck" in 2 years.

Bang for the buck is the new Z06. I also like the bang for the buck tests/opinions. Well, on the bang for the buck issue you might come out ahead or behind. It might depend on the quality of the after-market warranty of the manufacturer.

Hopefully, you and will still be around when I get the supercharger because right now, both money and availability are two issues .

Who knows who will be around, but I hope so too. I keep being intriqued by the idea of a stripper manual-shift M5. If someone would sponsor me and guarantee to cover all racing breakage, tire costs, and failure of BMW to do warranty work costs, then I'd take it to the strip and learn to dust off some E55's. I still would not care for the lowish torque on the street, but I could make an exception under these conditions. OK, so that's a fantasy. I would no doubt opt for a new Z06 over a manual-shift M5 no matter how I used the car.
[/quote]
Old 01-11-2006, 05:22 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood Trim, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Electric Rear Sunshades, Heated Rear Seats, Sirius Radio

I perceive my 550i as having a ton of torque because I came from an e46 M3. I have a new friend with an SL65AMG, and I'm not too exited about testing that car because the >700 ft/lbs may, excuse me would, alter my notion that the 550 has a lot of torque.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by darkside' post='222672' date='Jan 11 2006, 09:22 AM
I perceive my 550i as having a ton of torque because I came from an e46 M3. I have a new friend with an SL65AMG, and I'm not too exited about testing that car because the >700 ft/lbs may, excuse me would, alter my notion that the 550 has a lot of torque.
Boy, that's the truth. I'd test it anyway. You can always detoxify later and return gradually to the real world of most of us.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by Znod' post='222808
Boy, that's the truth. I'd test it anyway. You can always detoxify later and return gradually to the real world of most of us.
[/quote]

My sure you put lots of cement (glue) on the rear less a tap on the pedal might make a figure 8.

The new Z06 rules in the bang for the buck category for sure in anybody's book.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:55 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='222919
My sure you put lots of cement (glue) on the rear less a tap on the pedal might make a figure 8.

The new Z06 rules in the bang for the buck category for sure in anybody's book.
[/quote]
The new one's don't really exist since I have not yet seen one on the street. I am sure those that have been sold have been put in sealed vacuum containers. There are so many incredible cars coming out. I am going to be interested to see how my old Z06 model survives the battles.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Aluminum Cube Trim, M Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, Head Up Display, Steptronic, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Through Load, Park Distance Control, Navigation , HK Logic 7, etc

Originally Posted by darkside' post='221093' date='Jan 8 2006, 04:51 PM
How much torque do you need? I finally finished the breakin of my 550i and the 360 ft/lbs of torque is incredible. My e46 M3 was fast, but it didn't plaster me to the back of my seat from a full throttle acceleration the way the 550 does.
Man I can't wait to try mine!!! It's offline today! What did you do for breakin if I may ask. Anything in particular? Sorry, off topic question...
Old 01-13-2006, 09:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood Trim, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Electric Rear Sunshades, Heated Rear Seats, Sirius Radio

Originally Posted by Znod' post='222808
[/quote]
Drove the SL65AMG this morning. It is a beast! Unfortunately the pavement was not dry so it was hard keeping the wheels planted, but I got the point. I have not driven an M5, but suspect I would prefer it to the SL. It felt like a heavy car, not the feeling I am used to with my 550 or the e46 M3.
Sort of a Bummer-img_1573_1.jpg
Old 01-13-2006, 10:17 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by darkside' post='223818
Drove the SL65AMG this morning. It is a beast! Unfortunately the pavement was not dry so it was hard keeping the wheels planted, but I got the point. I have not driven an M5, but suspect I would prefer it to the SL. It felt like a heavy car, not the feeling I am used to with my 550 or the e46 M3.
Attachment 14258
[/quote]
OK, so you are not too tainted since the roads were wet. Your detox will be easy. Let us know if you ever drive in on dry roads. Why is there a towing sign next to it. And, what is that funny looking car to its right.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:03 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Znod' post='223841
Originally Posted by Znod' post='222808' date='Jan 11 2006, 01:24 PM
[quote name='darkside' post='222672' date='Jan 11 2006, 09:22 AM']
Attachment 14258
[/quote]
OK, so you are not too tainted since the roads were wet. Your detox will be easy. Let us know if you ever drive in on dry roads. Why is there a towing sign next to it. And, what is that funny looking car to its right.
[/quote]
The towing sign is to prevent people from parking in my driveway. That other car is the one I love.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:58 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by darkside' post='223857' date='Jan 13 2006, 03:03 PM
The towing sign is to prevent people from parking in my driveway. That other car is the one I love.
Oh, I see. I thought maybe the MB or the BMR has to be towed so often that the towing company put up advertising.

Quick Reply: Sort of a Bummer