E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Sort of a Bummer

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 03:15 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

well it is a USA magazine so of course ford GT is gonna win.....WTF

but what is the price of the GT? how many around? can you drive it to work everyday???

I better don't read magazines, it is all paid for promo. No real test. How can a jurnalist driving VW Jetta all his life make serious comments about BMW M5 after one day of "test"
no comment
Old 01-09-2006, 03:22 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='221383' date='Jan 9 2006, 12:15 PM

but what is the price of the GT? how many around? can you drive it to work everyday???

uh .. yeah of course you can drive it to work... if you own BP amocco
Old 01-09-2006, 04:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='221383' date='Jan 9 2006, 07:15 AM

evo is Australian.

Remember, that the M3 did very well in the comparo--5th. And, evo was picking the best "driver's" car which, in concept, could be somewhat price independent. In this regard, the Clio Trophy came in 3rd. The Ford GT could be driven daily, but I doubt that many would do so. As indicated, the test wasn't about daily drivers; it was about "driver's cars."

I better don't read magazines, it is all paid for promo. No real test. How can a jurnalist driving VW Jetta all his life make serious comments about BMW M5 after one day of "test"

So, all auto mags just do paid promos? In other words, you think, for example, that all finalist groups in all auto mags, and their ultimate winners, are driven by who pays the most and that no tests actually are performed.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

ok Znod. you got me there a little. I was too emotional seeing ALMOST a concept (I said almost) car being compared to M5.

1. Ok my bad.
2. uhmmm but still
3. honestly the truth is somewhere in between. However I'm sure there is a big "money" influence on the test results and other magazine article.

For instance lately it has been said that the german ADAC (officials to test crash tests and approve cars) has been just "slightly" and secretly changing their test criteria in order to give non-german cars worst results.... .............. and we are talking about almost if not nearly state controlled organization.
Damn, did I just read that in a magazine somewhere
Old 01-10-2006, 12:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='222236' date='Jan 10 2006, 02:39 PM
ok Znod. you got me there a little. I was too emotional seeing ALMOST a concept (I said almost) car being compared to M5.

1. Ok my bad.
2. uhmmm but still
3. honestly the truth is somewhere in between. However I'm sure there is a big "money" influence on the test results and other magazine article.

For instance lately it has been said that the german ADAC (officials to test crash tests and approve cars) has been just "slightly" and secretly changing their test criteria in order to give non-german cars worst results.... .............. and we are talking about almost if not nearly state controlled organization.
Low end torque, high end torque, damn, I'll be luck to own anything close it it. All I have is a 545i, and it's probably nothing compared to the E55 or M5. So I say to all:

Duke it out. I'm on the sidelines.

As for the mags and their "opinion," I read for entertainment because somebody always works for somebody when it comes down to "best of XXX."
Old 01-10-2006, 01:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='222236
Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='222236' date='Jan 10 2006, 02:39 PM

1. Ok my bad.
2. uhmmm but still

Low end torque, high end torque, damn, I'll be luck to own anything close it it. All I have is a 545i, and it's probably nothing compared to the E55 or M5. So I say to all:

You need your supercharger. I'll duke it out with them with my old Z06.

As for the mags and their "opinion," I read for entertainment because somebody always works for somebody when it comes down to "best of XXX."

Yep, someone always is taking, and someone always is buying the takers. Not me and you and some others though.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Evo is a respected and respectable publication. Just because you do or don't like their conclusion isn't grounds for accusing them of being on the take. FWIW I've yet to see a review of the Ford GT that didn't make the comment that it is indeed an "everyday supercar" (if that isn't an oxymoron), the GT has beaten Ferraris in many tests. There's no shame whatsoever in the M5 losing out to the Ford GT, and tests like this typically don't pay regard to price/value...
Old 01-10-2006, 03:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by swajames' post='222329

You need your supercharger. I'll duke it out with them with my old Z06.

Yep, someone always is taking, and someone always is buying the takers. Not me and you and some others though.
In performance, I would get more hp for less $$ compared to E55 and/or M5. "Bang for my buck," now there's another category that auto mags like to do, which is flawed. Whose to say that my supercharger won't cost more to fix (or cause other related problems) than an M5 or E55 2 years down the road? While it cost me $9K for the supercharger, it may not be "bang for my buck" in 2 years.

Hopefully, you and will still be around when I get the supercharger because right now, both money and availability are two issues .
Old 01-10-2006, 03:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='222372
Evo is a respected and respectable publication. Just because you do or don't like their conclusion isn't grounds for accusing them of being on the take. FWIW I've yet to see a review of the Ford GT that didn't make the comment that it is indeed an "everyday supercar" (if that isn't an oxymoron), the GT has beaten Ferraris in many tests. There's no shame whatsoever in the M5 losing out to the Ford GT, and tests like this typically don't pay regard to price/value...
Test numbers are fairly objective, but when it comes to "best of..." and "driver's . . ." I think that it is out to the subjective criteria that each magazine, testers and editors, for that matter, to be more subjective than objective. It can then boil down to particular model and mode. There's just too much room for subjectivity in "best of . . " and "driver's. Some mags will throw in the test numbers and make you believe that their finally "best of.. ." "driver's . . " are objective. Bull.

[/quote]

Completely agree - these kinds of tests are always subjective and that's exactly how they should be. My point was just that there is no reason to accuse the magazine testers and editors of being on the take because you may not like their subjective conclusions or opinions.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:45 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames' post='222329' date='Jan 10 2006, 06:10 PM
I don't think its an oxymoron. The new Z06 is even more of one.

Quick Reply: Sort of a Bummer