E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

SMG only?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004 | 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I wouldn't say that a traditional manual is "lame" just low-tech.

Many people are resistant to change and an SMG is clearly something that takes people out of their comfort zone.

Quick shifts are a benefit. Perfect upshifts are a benefit. Perfect downshifts are a benefit. Reduced clutch wear is a benefit. Total control is a benefit. Automatic mode can be beneficial. Launch control is a benefit.

Each time I've heard any negatives, it's come from someone who either hasn't had experience driving one for an extended time or it comes from someone who had expectations of the SMG being like an automatic.
Old 08-02-2004 | 02:56 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Aug 2 2004, 01:10 PM
I wouldn't say that a traditional manual is "lame" just low-tech.
I don't think that traditional manuals are lame. I think that most, including me, believe that "manu-matics" such as steptronic are lame.
Old 08-02-2004 | 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by hinckley' date='Aug 2 2004, 06:56 PM
[quote name='Rudy' date='Aug 2 2004, 01:10 PM']I wouldn't say that a traditional manual is "lame" just low-tech.
I don't think that traditional manuals are lame. I think that most, including me, believe that "manu-matics" such as steptronic are lame. [/quote]
Oh, I'm sorry. I misunderstood you earlier.

Yeah, you're right, autosticks aren't very useful, especially for downshifts.

A steptronic automatic is probably the finest automatic I've ever driven. If I had one, I doubt I'd ever really need to use the manual mode...
Old 08-14-2004 | 04:32 PM
MEX
Senior Members

this is the first steptronic that i own and was really excited with the idea of finally getting one and now... definetly think its lame

which has me now thinking that i shouldnt get too excited with smg, altough i havent tried it yet, i might be a little more reluctant in getting one. i bet its a great experience but, from what ive read it takes some time to grow on you, so i dont think i would pay high cash hoping i like it
Old 08-14-2004 | 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

MEX, I'm not sure I'm following you. Why do you think the Step is lame? What makes you think the SMG will be too?

I wouldn't say the SMG has to "grow on you" in order to like it, you have to adapt your driving habits to fully enjoy it. That's all. Once you make the transition and adapt old habits, there's nothing like it! Keep in mind that some people prefer automatics, some prefer manuals. I've always said that most people who buy automatics wouldn't like the SMG for the same reason they didn't buy a manual.
Old 08-14-2004 | 06:04 PM
MEX
Senior Members

oh! maybe because when i got the steptronic i used to have manuals, so yes i like manuals and the feeling of more control with the car, thats probably why i didnt like it, the steptronic has a mind of its own and its definetly not a manual, its very slow.

i mean its not an auto but its not a manual, some kind of hybrid, i know some people have liked it and found it useful, not me really.

and im afraid that happens if i get the smg, i dont want to be dissapointed anymore :'(
Old 08-16-2004 | 01:59 PM
Senior Members

For me, it's all about how much control you want over the car. If you don't mind giving up control of the clutch pedal, not being able to determine the exact point where the wheels 'hook up', don't enjoy executing heel and toe downshifts, and generally prefer to have the car do that for you, then I guess SMG is your choice. Not for me though.
Old 08-18-2004 | 10:11 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 550i M Sport Package - Alpine White/Blk Nasca Leather, Premium hi-fi system, Sat Radio, Nav, Cold Weather Package, Value Package, Shift Paddles, Comfort Access keyless entry, Power rear Sunshade, Front Ventilated seats, Split fold-down rear seats, Heated rear seats, Automatic high beams

I second wolverine. I like to feel rewarded with every gear change and that's what a manual does for me. We are a dying breed for sure.

I think SMG tries to address 'wheel hook up' by offering driving programs (M3 offers even more programs).

Even if a perfect trans. came a long that did everything better then me (I bet SMG can do that), I still go manual. The clutch to me is one of does enjoyments that come with driving.
Old 08-18-2004 | 10:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I was a manual transmission fan too (my dealer told me to get an smg or auto 330 because of resale and I still bought the manual). But now I have been driving automatics for a few months and it is so relaxing.

Today I took my brothers car to visit some clients and in stop and go traffic a manual is so anoying.. I will be happy when I have my steptronic tomorrow!!!
Old 08-19-2004 | 12:48 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Aug 18 2004, 12:20 PM
I was a manual transmission fan too (my dealer told me to get an smg or auto 330 because of resale and I still bought the manual). But now I have been driving automatics for a few months and it is so relaxing.

Today I took my brothers car to visit some clients and in stop and go traffic a manual is so anoying.. I will be happy when I have my steptronic tomorrow!!!
Traffic jams relaxation should be a selling point for the SMG..haha..

Quick Reply: SMG only?